Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lightsider needs some darkside help...china...ddo 20 center

Hello all.

I had a customer drop off a coin on consignment to me today that I know nothing about. It is a NGC graded F15 1903 20c China Restrike, Y-5 with a double die obverse. Coin is very pleasing and original and is VERY doubled on the obverse. Pretty cool coin, but I have no idea what the market is on this piece. Any help or info, or where to find info would be greatly appreciated.

V.r,
John

Comments

• Options
    Krause lists Y#5 as an undated copper 20 cash of Emperor Kuang Hsu, with the English legend "HU POO" at the top of the reverse, and "20 CASH' at the bottom. Three very similar designs (Y#5, Y#5.1 and Y#5.2 were reportedly struck at the Wuchang Mint in 1917 (Republic Year 6), from dies prepared in 1903.

The basic coin is valued at 50¢ VG, $1 F, $2 VF and $3 XF, but the varieties are $2.50 VG, $6 F, $12 VF and $25 XF.

Another variety (Y#5a) was apparently actually issued in 1903-05, and is listed at $30-135. image

If it were me, I'd be carefully examining the pictures and descriptions in Krause to make sure of the attribution before listing it on EBay. There is, after all, a huge difference between a $1-2 coin and a $50-85 one. image
    Roy

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much!! I will check it out well.

John