Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about cleaning PSA slabbed cards.

I received three PSA slabbed cards today from an eBay seller, saler or sailor- take your pick. On the fronts there are strips of a glue like residue that will need something more heavy duty than Windex. Would 409 and a paper towel hurt it? I don't plan on submerging them by any means but will I have problems with the 409 getting to the card?

Comments

• Options
    I have gotten a few cards with stickers on the back and I actually just sent them in to be reholdered. But them I'm totally anal about my collection! image
    I think there are some guys who like goo gone and the like.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Try watering down the 409 a little and go stonger if needed.
  • Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    Car polish, not wax works great. It also buffs out small scratches. I have used it for years.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I use Goo Gone for sticker residue and Novus plastic polish for scratches. I'm very anal about my slabs too and that combo has probably saved me at least $100 in reholdering fees over the years. Novus won't fix slabs that are beat to hell, but it definitely makes mildly to moderately scratched slabs presentable.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    409 didn't do a damn thing at full strength and scrub with a toothbrush. I'll have to make a trip to the store for the Goo Gone. This really irks me. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Goo Gone and a soft paper towel / cloth will remove the residue. And, unlike some products, it doesn't leave a strong smell on the slab.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Remm to allow any solvent that you use to sit on the slab for a bit. That way it will work its way to the adhesive and begin to break it down.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    No problem using Goo Gone for PSA slabs. If you use it on GAI slabs, you will definately cloud the holder because they use a much softer grade of plastic........
  • Options
    ive submerged the slabs in hot water and given them a good scrubbing. Basically melts the glue/gunk so its easier to rub off
  • Options
    GooGone took it off, finally. Thanks for mentioning not using it on GAI slabs. That was another headache waiting to happen.

It's been a while since I owned any slabbed cards. Today I received in three PSA/DNA's and one GAI. I must say that the GAI holder is more eye appealing than the PSA.
  • Options
    Good old WD40 works very well too.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings