Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What ebay excuse do you get more than any other?

Either form sellers or buyers. I am always having the unfortunate luck of dealing with sellers that always have people dying in their familys. I am sure that some of them are legit but I keep getting the same excuse. Its really quite funny.

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i had a guy click on a Buy-It-Now, and then paid immediately.. then a couple hours later i get this email:

"I made a mistake by buying this card. I thought I needed a chrome refractor of XXXXXXXXX,,as I thought I had purchased a gold refractor recently. If you check item #XXXXXXXXX you will see that I already purchased a chrome refractor.Would you kindly refund my paypal account for this error? Leave negative feedback if you are really teed off at me, but I would appreciate it if you didn't.
    Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXX"

argh, it's frustrating that there are people out there that do this.. ive NEVER bid on something and then asked the seller to let me off the hook..

but being the nice guy i am, i refunded the dudes money no questions asked..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten the death in the family or personal illness excuses several times too. Personally I'd never use either one for fear of heaping future bad luck upon myself (kharma's a beyatch).
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Same excuse but it is from buyersimage:
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten the "family illness" excuse. Personally, I think he was just pissed that I was the only one who bid on his auction and won it for only .99.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Lately, it's nothing. No excuse, no communication, no "sorry," nothing. No response to invoices, reminder invoices, or emails.

BUT, as soon as you intiate a Non-paying Bidder Dispute, paypal payment received w/in hours. Weird how that works, isn't it?
  • Options
    Usually from sellers, I get the death in the family and/or I was out of town.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    The old, "I was out of town" line from sellers and buyers.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that gets the 'my computer was broken right after I won it/sold it' excuse?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about this one. I got this a few weeks ago from a buyer. "Sorry I am having paypal issues". It took about 2 weeks for him to fix it. image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The old, "I was out of town" line from sellers and buyers. >>

Yeah, forgot to mention. The relative that was ill was also out of town.
  • Options
    personal illness/in the hospital with both buyer and sellers...
  • Options
    Internet problem. But apparently it isn't a problem to bid on additional cards during that time frame.

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    My Ebay excuse I get more than any other, doesnt come from buyers or sellers, but from Ebay itself:

We are concerned about violations on the site and have thoroughly
    investigated your report. In accordance with our site policies, we have
    found that there is not enough evidence to show that a violation has
    taken place.
  • Options
    I wonder if any guy will have the courage as a non-paying bidder to actually say, "Sorry but my wife found out how much I spent on a piece of cardboard and put the kabosh on it."
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    To answer all of you....that was ME, and all my family members seriously did die, it was no excxuse, and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for being so distrusting.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>"Sorry but my wife found out how much I spent on a piece of cardboard and put the kabosh on it." >>

Little known fact: Bill Clinton is a card collector. Hilary found out how much he was spending and "took care of business" She said that she could deal with all the affairs he had, but card collecting? Thats another story!

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    "My car broke down and I don't have the money. But I will pay you on Friday when I get paid again." No big deal though, I relisted and made an extra 40%.
    Travis
  • Options
    Matt, now THAT is funny!
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    Last year, I sold a card and the lot went unpaid for 3 weeks. I emailed multiple times, and even left a phone message. Finally, I get an email from the guy apologizing and telling me how he got Legionnaire's Disease and had been in the hospital. I was starting to feel sorry for the guy, when in the next email exchange his story changed a little...He mentioned how sorry he was that his contracting Lyme disease delayed his ability to pay. I finally got paid and just blocked the guy from bidding on future listings.

Todd
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    sometimes this one is stated up front, sometimes just after a buyer complains, but the most common one I see is....."I'm not a professional grader."

I didn't realize you had to be a professional grader to recognize obvious creases, deep surface scratches, paper loss, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>To answer all of you....that was ME, and all my family members seriously did die, it was no excxuse, and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for being so distrusting. >>

I knew it was one of those Yankee fans!! It all makes sense now.

M E T S.................. METS METS METS!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    20 Years Later

Mets Win It All !!

edit to change from 10 to 20 years

boy does time move lol
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    I have had a fair number of people who want to pay in installments. One guy recently asked if I would take $20 a week for 10 weeks in order that he could buy a card I had for sale. I said I would take two installments of $100 each--never heard from him again.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Would you rather hear the good ole' " I was out of town for the week" or " I was just too damn lazy to go through with the checkout process and now I will make sure you get paid later, so bak off for now."

I think people say the out of town just to buy some time.
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    I've actually used the "out of town" thing and "death in the family" but unfortunately, they were legit. I recently had a buyer tell me that they forgot to send payment since they actually had to (GASP!) write a check since I dont take paypal.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I just had an auction that ended Sunday. On Monday, a buyer emailed me and asked if it would be OK if he paid me Thursday when is Paypal account gets replenished. Replenished? Whatever, it is no big deal to me. Well, when I got the Paypal notice today, there's a little note crying about $9 S&H. What the !@#%$??? It was a friggin Heritage Base set. There's only one ending every 30 min. He could have waited until today to buy one.

I paid someone late for an auction in Sept 2004. There was MAJOR flooding here and I did not have phone (& internet service) for eight days. However, on the fourth day with no phone, I left my wife and two-week old daughter and went to the local library to use their internet service. I paid the seller and apologized for the delay.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection