Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's everyone's take on this ?

From the Net 54 board. Did PSA grade a fake card here. I'm not too familair with the very old stuff but I've never heard of this Kendig whatever before. (Honest question here, not trying to bash)

Kendig chocolate card?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure of the validity of the seller in question here...Both cards in the thread questioned as fakes are from the same seller. The second one in particular, looks like it was just thrown in the holder by PSA. Does PSA put cards in holders like that?

Sitting on the fence on this one--not saying PSA is right or wrong just looking at the other variables...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    fake
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I cant see this at work because of ebay being blocked, would someone be so kind as to post the pic, Thanks !

• Options

And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    Thanks but that is blocked too, lol

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    It is a fake as all kendig chocolates are, though they are over 20-25 year old fakes, and please give me a break you most certainly are trying to bash PSA my only response to you MR. SGC would be JOE DOYLE!image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a fake as all kendig chocolates are, though they are over 20-25 year old fakes, and please give me a break you most certainly are trying to bash PSA my only response to you MR. SGC would be JOE DOYLE!image >>

FAKE joe doyle graded by SGC..

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_5.html
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Thank You for the link pandrews.
  • Options
    imageimage

I don't think they are real. Research shows that Kendig Chocolate was purchased in 1902 by Wilbur Chocolate and the name was changed to Ideal Chocolate shortly thereafter. They weren't even using the name Kendig when these strip cards were produced. That said, the card may be real but the stamp isn't as most of the W575's were blank backed. image

Scott

Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    From The Net 54 boards

HERE'S A RE-POSTING OF PART OF THE LAST DISCUSSION:

According to Bob Lemke's book, "Sportscard Counterfeit Detector" Kendig never released baseball cards.

Lemke writes on page 35 of his 1994 book:

"These cards should more accurately be classified among the fantasies than true counterfeits bacause the company never issued cards. However, since Kendig's did issue trading cards, and since most collectors and dealers are not all that familiar with legitimate issues of the 1910s, it seems appropriate to include these cards within the body of the book.

"These fantasies/counterfeits were first reported in late 1989, having surfaced at East Coast flea markets. Two players were reported seen on the cards, Babe Ruth and Ray Chapman; others most certainly exist.

"Card fronts were apparently copied from the 1916 Collins-McCarthy 'Baseball's Hall of Fame issue of 200 cards, with the exception that the card number from the originals was not included on the fakes. This might account for the fantasy cards measuring only 3 1/8 inches in length, rather than the 3 1/4 inches of genuine E-135s.

"Backs of the phony baseball cards appear to have been rubber-stamped, reproducing the typography and layout found on Kendig's 'Flags of The World' cards which were roughly contemporary with the Collins-MCcarthy.

"Genuine E-135s have a semi-gloss surface on the front. The purpoted Kendig's baseball cards are printed on porous paper which has been artificially aged"

That said, a few years ago a lot of four fake Kendigs were floating around on eBay, with several winning bidders returning the cards to the seller after seeing them. They were way too thin (with images showing right through) and the ink appeared brand new on the front, although the paper was made to look old.

...[extra stuff removed]...
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    As fake as Pam Anderson's cans, yet still fun to look at.
  • Options

<< <i>image

Tenn, can you see it now? image >>

Nope, still cant see it. maybe I need verizon.

• Options
    OK, CHECK THIS OUT, JUST ENTER THE CERT # ON THE CARD ABOVE!

FOR SURE A FAKE

• Options
    <<OK, CHECK THIS OUT, JUST ENTER THE CERT # ON THE CARD ABOVE!>>

FYI,

Just because the cert # doesn't show up doesn't mean that PSA didn't grade it or that it is fake. If PSA grades cards from a set and then discontinues grading that set, the cert #'s will be removed from the database. A perfect example is the Star Jordan rookies. At one time PSA graded Star Basketball cards but doesn't anymore. To my knowledge, none of the cert #'s for the Star Jordan's are in the database. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, CHECK THIS OUT, JUST ENTER THE CERT # ON THE CARD ABOVE!

FOR SURE A FAKE >>

That might just be a hasty expunging of the card from the database after PSA saw another of its embarrassing slabs on eBay.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    In a way, this is kind of cool. Maybe PSA will now start grading Broders image
  • Options
    Hell, Who Knows ??

• Options
    GlynRParson - I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here since I see that with your mighty 38 posts, you've only joined here THIS MONTH and you may not know my posting habits. You will learn over time that I am not bashful when it comes to saying what's on my mind. If I truly wanted to bash PSA for this allegedly fake card (and thus, deal with the ensuing fake Doyle comments), I would have come right out and slammed PSA. Rather, I tempered my remark by saying that I was not trying to bash and was really interested in the answer. I have been looking for a nice pre-WW2 set to start on and info like this is important to me.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Give it up southerncards.

Over 75% of your posts of anti-PSA.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand why acolytes of grading company X delight in the flagrant miscues of grading company Y and Z. Yeah, gaffes like this might particularly affect PSA collectors like myself, but ultimately they're bad for the hobby in general. Cheering the bungled grading/authentication of a company you don't use or support just doesn't make sense to me.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Give it up southerncards.

Over 75% of your posts of anti-PSA. >>

i agree..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I agree 100% on that point, but collectors are paying the big 3 (sorry for the offense to BGS) to be the expert for them! When any of them screw up bigtime, it definately affects everyone. Why pay for someone to do a job we all have been doing for over 20 years (we pick out 8's, they send us back 7's and 9's and we argue anyway), if they arent going to get it right! When one bad card is spotted, it opens the door for speculation of "If this one got by, who knows how many more did?" Even though this is bad, along with a few other known ones including the trimmed PSA 8 Wagner (00000001), SGC did it even better by having a fake that a driver who doesnt even collect cards spotted which sold in a major auction for over 20G's and ends up with lawsuits flying and making the news. HBO specials with fake autographed cards major companies are passing as real. The industry is shooting itself in the foot bigtime. Interesting to see how well UD's Legendary Cuts Autos does this year.......
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭

<< <i>Give it up southerncards.

Over 75% of your posts of anti-PSA. >>

Calleocho - am I really only at 75% ? I was shooting for 80% at this point. Guess I need to try harder.

Now, for all of you who really understood my intention for posting this, thank you for your responses. Can anyone suggest a nice pre-WW2 set that isnt a huge set and won't break the bank?
  • Options
    Southern Cards I have been on these boards for years, and have been in the graded card business since 1992. I had to start a new account when i got a new email and anew computer and i lost my old password. If you truly wanted to know more about the card why did you come right over here and post that, you obviously were trying to embarass PSA. You made no inquiry on the NET54 boards why it is obvious you were attempting to embarass PSA and yes bash them as well. i dont know how gullible you think most of the people on these boards are but they can see right through this bash.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Southerncards - If you are really interested in starting a pre-WW2 set you should post your inquiry on the Net54 board. There will be quite a few people there who can help you out.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    don't think message was incendiary until you caveated the end... then it appears to be somewhat flagrant

cold lampin

Julen]
    TGIF
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Everyone sees Southerncards' posting patterns by now. It is obvious the only times in which Southerncards post are when he either to sings the praises of SGC or bashes PSA.
  • Options
    Wow, I wish that I really had the time and energy to be a devious as you all make me out to be. I posted here because I feel the knowledge here was greater than there.

If you don't feel like answering the question, don't.

You know what? PSA makes mistakes. SGC makes mistakes. GAI makes mistakes. It natural that with all the cards graded and the human element involved, mistakes are going to be made. If I wanted to slam PSA on this one, I would have come right out and finished the job. Do we really need to waste time with this kind of thread all over again?
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Actually the folks over on Net54 are the best to ask for that type or card,
    seeing as how they consider cards from the 1950's and later to be 'modern.'

Southerncards - you seem like a nice enough guy and like you we all share a love for this great hobby.

It's just that you SGC guys remind me of those religious nuts who come to your door
    and just keep ringing the doorbell because they think that your god isn't the real god and that their god has all the true answers ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194
    [