Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What to do with my Bonds cards??

This is a tough one. I have loaded up on Bonds RC's and 87 Fleer wax boxes, etc over the last 5 years and was hoping to sell the stuff around the time he broke the HR records (thinking obviously that this would be the time of highest demand - and highest price). Putting all personal feelings aside of what I think of the guy...I need to think about this as an investment.

I've held onto this stuff longer than I thought I'd have to. I thought last year would be the time but then injury put that plan to rest. Then I thought this year would have to be it but now in the midst of the scandal heating up... do I wait and risk the possibility that his stuff drops even more based on what MLB decides to do (suspension...?). On the other hand with as hot he has been this Spring (when he has played) if he comes out and hits 15 HR's in April maybe everyone forgets about all the other stuff and his cards go on the rise.

What to do?

I know everyone has an opinion on what they think of Barry Bonds... but that's not what I'm asking about. I just was curious to hear people's opinions on the value of his cards and if the majority think they'll rise or fall this year?
Looking for Charlie Frye Jersey's, Auto's, and serial numbered RC's!

Comments

• I would sell now. I'd be too worried to see what happens to the price when they out him. The media is training everyone to hate the man. I'd think it will be tough to find a buyer once all this is over.
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    This is indeed a tough one. It sounds like you got mucho Bonds rookie cards to sell. First and foremost, if your
    buying point for these cards are low, I'd move a portion of them right now regardless of the possibility
    of suspension. You can then sell the remaining portions of the cards over the course of the season and
    also some during Christmas. By speading the sales, you can avoid any crazy short term reactions.

Christmas sales are awesome with ebay.

I am no expert in the card industry, but that's my 2 cents.

Tom

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    bust open all the boxes, pull all the Bonds cards, and we will organize with MLB to have a Barry Bonfire night at one of the parks. They had disco demolition night at Comisky back in '79 so why not a night where we can all throw his cards into a big blaze in center field !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• I was in the same boat and cut my position in half. You'd be lucky to get $140 on the Topps Traded PSA 10 now! Yikes!!image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    I'm headed out to my back yard where I keep my recyling containers. If you hurry, you can join me and we'll be done before the next scheduled pick up.
  • OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Backup for no toilet paper!
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Save 'em. Look how well the T206s of Hal Chase and the Black Sox do at auction.

Seriously, if this is a big investment for you, I would wait until baseball season starts and then look to reduce your position as the season goes on. Sounds like you are too heavy in one player right now anyway.
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    This is why I never speculate when it comes to this hobby. I just buy what I like for myself. If what I buy happens to appreciate in value and make a little money for me, great. If not, who cares, I like the card(s).
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>This is why I never speculate when it comes to this hobby. I just buy what I like for myself. If what I buy happens to appreciate in value and make a little money for me, great. If not, who cares, I like the card(s). >>

Exactly, I couldnt agree more. I learned that lesson my first time around collecting in the 80's.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Thanks everyone...looks like some differing opinions but the bulk seem to think selling some now and some later might be the way to go. I agree as far as being "too" invested in this guy and although even at today's values I'll make a decent profit, but it's alot easier collecting somebody I enjoy. That's actually part of my problem. I am a heavy Browns fan and have been buying all the Charlie Frye cards I can get my hands on and decided to try to collect one of every card if possible (can you believe 460 different RC's of him?). Problem is...with my money tied up in Bonds, I have run out of money and want to see some results from all these Bonds cards that I've just been holding onto. Oh well...I think I'll unload a few now just to support my "Frye habit" and save the rest for at least another month or two to see where this goes from here. Thanks for the opinions out there!
    Looking for Charlie Frye Jersey's, Auto's, and serial numbered RC's!
  • Well, seeing as how baseball is officially launching an investigation into the the alleged steroid use, there's no telling how this year will play out for Bonds. I would say, If the cards and boxes aren't selling for what you paid, look to cut your losses. I don't think the values will reach what they were in 2001 - 2002 even if he surpasses Aaron (which shouldn't happen until next year anyway). There's already an abundance if his cards on the market and I'm sure there are others like yourself that are hoarding unopened material as well as singles so the availability will only increase. Then again, this is just my $0.02, I could be wrong (it has happened once or twice. image ) image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Times are uncertain for the career of bonds. I would hold every card you have. Now is not the time to fold. Unless Barry Bonds can be convicted of purgery. The worst case scenarios are unlikely. Barry Bonds can still hit Home runs against Major league pitching as he showed in the pre-season. I think the possibillity for upside is there.

Barry Bonds will have a reality tv show, now this is publicity if it is nothing else. Maybe this would be a good time if you must sell to downsize some of your collection. I wouldn't downsize it personally, I would hold on the prospect of the Home Run Publicity. Selling half when he passes Babe Ruth's record and the rest on Hank Arron's record.

Barry Bonds if suspended for 50 games will still pass Babe ruth, And maybe even Hank Arron! Could a baseball card with the Home Run King of major league Baseball be worthless or low in demand.

How possible is it that the record book will be affected?
    How possible is it that Barry Bonds will have a large "Kobe style" Team of lawyers?
    If bonds is suspended for 50 games this could still be the path to success as he can still hit home runs.

Again in closing times are uncertain and that is the reason I would not sell now?
    You made this investment. You should not sell in such a perilous period of Barry Bonds career. There Is hope, and there is forsight for a successful outcome. As for BArry Bonds? Absolutely no question can he still hit baseballs out of major league stadiums barring any injury. So betting on him breaking the records is probaly the best odds you have. This decision is one that has good prospects of success.

Thats my advice
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I have loaded up on Bonds RC's and 87 Fleer wax boxes, etc over the last 5 years and was hoping to sell the stuff around the time he broke the HR records >>

You, and about 5,000,000,000,000 other people, unfortunately. If this creep ever actually does get his steriod-riddled carcass out there a few more times to break the record, watch how many "rare" Bonds RC's will be on Ebay. It won't be a pretty sight.
  • If you got in low, sell some now, and the rest during the season. If you paid high, you should probably hold. I really can't see Bud Selig doing anything as he can't prove Bonds took steroids. If he does go after Bonds he will have to go after many other players. This is just my 2 cents.
  • All publicity is good publicity... especially if it's bad! Famous or infamous, nobody will ever forget Barry Bonds.

I have a GAI 10 1987 Donruss rack-pack with Barry on the front. It's gotta be worth a million $$$ by now.