Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can someone please explain Numismedia pricing?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been looking at Heritage lots online, and I am unfamiliar with Numismedia's price guide. Here is an example from an auction lot in which I have no interest (could not afford if I was interested), as an example:

Grade: Coin World(Trends): Numismedia Retail: Numismedia Wholesale: Numismedia NGC (nmn): Numismedia PCGS (nmp): Coin Universe
63 $15,000 $11,590 $9,275 $8,200 $8,450 $20,000
64 $25,000 $19,500 $15,000 $13,500 $14,000 $40,000

Sorry for the confusing format (above), but it is more clear if you follow the link.

My questions:

1. How accurate is Numismedia considered to be? How does it compare to other established price guides? I have not heard anyone refer to it in the past.
2. How are these figures derived?
3. Why are the wholesale values greater than the PCGS and NGC values? For that matter, why are the retail numbers also greater?
4. Should I forget about Numismedia?

An interesting observation on this one example, that trades infrequently in high grade, is that the numbers of the various price guides are all over the place.

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the series and grades I collect, Numismedia has no clue. I was looking at my NGC Registry set and laughing at them the other day....
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    How does numismedia arrive at pricing, say for example MS 67 early commems, which are not on the greysheet-----why I don't knowimage---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    You should post this question on the NGC boards. Dennis Baker (of Numismedia) answers price quide questions there in the Ask Numismedia forum.

WH
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

<< <i>You should post this question on the NGC boards. Dennis Baker (of Numismedia) answers price quide questions there in the Ask Numismedia forum. >>

By my experience, Dennis is very responsive to quesitons and receptive to suggestions.
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I have not a clue.

Wholesale- greysheet
    Retail - Trends

real price - auction results

Why would anyone pay for this when you can get the info for free on Heritage?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • I have written to them concerning "numismedia ask" pricing...the response I received was that it is somewhere between retail and wholesale (no kidding huh???)...where "real auction transactions are realized" hope this helps.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you referring to Numismedia Fair Market Values? I look at them for stuff graded G4 to MS60 (their "collector" pages). For early copper they're all over the place...usually somewhere between reality and wishful thinking... For higher end stuff in somewhat attainable grades (1793 Half Cent Left Facing) it looks like they're following auction prices and realized prices from websites dealing specifically in early coppers. For more common stuff, they seem to be a tad low from realized prices...

L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but The Wizard Of Oz keeps coming to mindimage-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never gave it any mind....nor should anyone.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file