Home Metal Detecting
Options

Got Milk?

Good for one pint milk..VELEY

No major hunt story here, but I found this milk token in my back yard about an hour ago.
I was playing with my 2500 fitted with the 12.5 inch imaging coil. My yard is plagued with shallow trash targets, as I've previously dug many car parts, bottle caps, foil, you name it! I wanted to try utilizing the "surface elimination" feature to see if I could get a better read on some deeper targets.

I walked to a spot in the yard that I knew was littered with aluminum can slaw. I set the "surface elimination" to max, 4" and was hunting in zero discrimination. As I swept the coil over the ground, I could see several targets pop up on the ID screen but they made no sound. Exceptions did occur, especially if numerous targets were in line or close proximity. 2-3" A broken signal would sound, but would not normally sound off again when re-scanned.

I started scanning aimlessly, watching the meter and listening for good belltones. After passing up several deep iron targets, I got a good hit that showed at 6 inches and was pegged between a dime and a quarter. It gave a decent tone and registered solid no matter which way I scanned it.
I cut my plug and folded it back. A few seconds of probing with the tinytec and my prize was found!

It's always cool to find a token! This one is made of aluminum BTW.

I'm still playing with the bells and whistles on the GTI and still have a lot to learn.

Practice! Practice! Practice!

HH
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Nice John, gotta love tokens image
    You do any research on it? Find a location/history?
  • Options
    Tokens are always cool finds. Great job!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Great token find and for an aluminum one it's it great shape.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Wonder what era the token was issued. Nice find, BTW.
  • Options
    Nice aluminum token...seems like a rush of them here lately...At least you know there must be some other goodies there...go get 'em!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice John, gotta love tokens image
    You do any research on it? Find a location/history? >>

Talked to an 85 year old gentleman today. He lives two streets over from me and is a Delaware City native. He said the Veley Dairy Farm was on the North side of town and delivered his parents milk when he was a kid (late 20's to early 30's). He said he recalls a pint and a quart token.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very cool... fun piece of local history! image

(I love talking with the older guys in my community and hear them describe "the old days" image)
  • Options

<< <i>(I love talking with the older guys in my community and hear them describe "the old days" image) >>

Yeah, me too Rick. One of my favorite ways to find sites and gain permission to hunt, is to go to the local coffee shop and hang out with all the older folks. They know where all the older buildings and meeting places around town once stood. I don't get to chew the rag with the folks very often, but when I do there is usually some good leads to follow. image
    imageimage
  • Options
    That sounds like fun John! (hanging out and talking with the older guys at the coffee shop)

One of the oldest guys in my town lives in the house his father built in the 1800's. (met him by doing some research and he was very friendly) He let me detect at his house and I found a couple old coins and relics... But, I think I spent more time talking with him than I did detecting there. It was a lot of fun and one of the things that occurred to me while he was telling me about other sites was how information is lost when those older generations pass away. A lot of the info. is not in any history book!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Cool token and local history research John.
    I can remember some of them good old days. We had an insulated box that we left on the back steps and every morning the milkman would would drop off a gallon of milk, in a glass container, and a 1lb slab of butter.
    I know what you mean about history lost, Rick. I wish I had talked to more of the people that are now gone. All that information lost and bulldozers erasing the rest.