Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who are not scumbags?

Sorry but I'm having a brain lapse. All this talk about scumbags in baseball got me wondering who the good guys were. Who was the player that grabbed the kid from being run over at home plate? And who's kid was it? I knew this story well but seem to have forgotten the details completely.

Comments

• Options
    J.T. Snow and Dusty Baker's son during the World Series....
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Mike Schmidt = Good Guy

Other good guys:
    Ryne Sandberg
    Cal Ripken
    Ernie Banks
    Bob Feller
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Gotta admit Schmidty is a good guy. I really enjoyed his talks with Jim Rome and Sports Center when he was promoting his book a couple of weeks ago. I didnt realize he wanted to manage. Schmidt and Feller come from the same school. They tell it like it is in thier own way, and agree or disagree with thier point of view, they sure make great points.....
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    For starters, eliminate all of the current Yankees. Then go from there.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>For starters, eliminate all of the current Yankees. Then go from there.

Ron >>

Didn't Arod save a Red Sox fan from being crushed in the street by a truck?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Ron >>

This is not necessarily true. I heard once that Jason Giambi offered to give a bunch of his teamates steroids free of charge. He didnt need them anymore, he was too sick to take them because of his "intestinal parasite problem". It was feared the parasite would become a "mega parasite" with roid rage and eventually eat him. Giving away free stuff cant make a you a bad guy image
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Matt -

Good point!

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Albert Pujols
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    Brooks Robinson and Buck O'Neil are the two nicest former ballplayers I have ever met...real ambassadors for the game. Willie Stargell is no longer with us, but he was super as well.

All the others you guys have listed so far, I'd definitely put in the "good guy" category. Of all the active players today, Pujols is probably the one I most admire....Would love to meet him someday.

Todd
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Pujols does some great work with children with special needs. He and his wife are also very good Christians.
  • Options

<< <i>For starters, eliminate all of the current Yankees. Then go from there >>

Pure poetry to my ears Ron image

<< <i>It was feared the parasite would become a "mega parasite" with roid rage and eventually eat him. >>

Dave Stewart (STEW!!!!!) who played for Oakland in late 80's early 90's was a class act.
    Always had a smile for everyone, and played his heart outimage

TC

For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Always had a smile for everyone, and played his heart out >>

A smile for everyone perhaps- EXCEPT the opposing hitter. Are there any pitchers that have the "mean stare" in the tradition of Stewart-Gossage-Gibson? Seems the stare itself was always good for at least one strike.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I never heard a bad word about Tom Seaver and not much bad about Nolan Ryan.
  • Options

<< <i>I never heard a bad word about Tom Seaver and not much bad about Nolan Ryan. >>

Oh yeah? Talk to Robin Ventura! image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The late Richie Ashburn! I have known some very harsh Philadelphia fans in my time, and sometimes I am harsh as well towards my Phillies, but I have never heard anyone in Philly ever speak badly of Richie Ashburn - RIP.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I never heard a bad word about Tom Seaver and not much bad about Nolan Ryan. >>

Oh yeah? Talk to Robin Ventura! image >>

Beat me to the punch image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Dale Murphy
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh yeah? Talk to Robin Ventura! image >>

Beat me to the punch image >>

• Options
    Albert Pujols.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for nolan ryan, ventura would be already forgotten. I was thinking him when I said "not much" bad.

One day I got to meet Bob Feller and Enos Country Slaughter together. Both real nice guys.

Al Kaline
    Ernie Banks
    Johnny Bench
    Manny Sanguillen

Not baseball but Bart Starr is probably one of the best people ever involved in sports, IMHO.
  • Options
    Doc Gooden was (is) a super nice guy. My brother did some tile work in Gary Sheffied's house and Gooden was there as well. He said Gary was nasty but Doc was one of the nicest guys he met. A friend of mine met Doc at a local Subway and said the same thing about him.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dave Stewart (STEW!!!!!) who played for Oakland in late 80's early 90's was a class act.
    Always had a smile for everyone, and played his heart outimage

TC >>

I suppose getting a BJ from a tranny hooker doesn't preclude the possibility of someone being a non-scumbag.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I sent some time in San Diego a few years back... Tony Gwynn was great! I can't remember him ever ignoring his fans... another class act.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Cal Ripken, Jr.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you guys forget about Jim Abbott? He is a no brainer. Mike Mussina too.

Don Mattingly....no doubt there.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Banks is the nicest guy that I met. Mays and Bonds vie for the as_hole crown.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Curt Schilling and his wife founded a program to raise awareness about, and fight ALS (more commonly known as Lou Gerhig's disease).

Curt's Pitch For ALS
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    From the Detroit area: Willie Horton, Alan Trammell, and George Kell for sure. Mike Maroth from the current team.

Ernie Harwell may be the classiest human being on the planet.

Sadly, Al Kaline is overrated as a non-scumbag. It appears he is getting worse as he gets older.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Always thought Bill White was a good guy. He has dropped out of the public eye now.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe Delaney, formerly of the Chiefs.

He was an up and coming RB for KC in the early 80's. Small but shifty and if I remember correctly had over 1,000 yards his rookie year. He died one off season trying to save three kids from drowning. Joe didn't know how to swim but jumped in and tryed to pull them out anyway. He saved one kid, and it cost him his life. Joe and the other two kids drowned.
  • Options
    OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Roger Maris!!!
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Pretty much any Twin, especially Killer and Puck...

hh
  • Options
    Torre, Jeter and Posada have done an incredible amount of charity work for kids .
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    Wasn't Ellis Burks considered a pretty good guy?

I agree on Dale Murphy as well

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Ken Griffey Jr.

Saw a story a year or so ago about a family who he had met, they were huge fans of his. The father was killed in Iraq, and he invited the family back and put them up in a nice hotel, great field tickets, the works.

Also, he gave the kid who caught his 500th home run a full perks package to the all star game: airfare, field level tickets to all 3 days events, hotel, everything paid for.

Never heard a (documented) bad word about this guy...plays the game like it should be played, and single handedly saved baseball in Seattle.

Big thumbs up in my book.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

Ron >>

Fool image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Warrick Dunn : http://www.warrickdunnfoundation.org/

“Being that I grew up in a single-mother household, I have focused my charitable efforts to help single mother families obtain first-time homeownership. I believe that homeownership is the foundation to establishing a stable and productive family environment, an environment where children can thrive educationally, socially, and economically.”

Sincerely,

Warrick Dunn

Thanks to Atlanta Falcons running back Warrick Dunn and his Homes for the Holidays program which began in 1997, 57 single-mothers and their 148 children have been placed in homes in Atlanta, Tampa and Dunn's hometown, Baton Rouge. The foundation honors the memory of Warrick's mother, Betty Smothers, who was killed in a robbery while working over time in an effort to provide for her children. Having a stable home was elusive for the family and sadly became a reality only after his mother's tragic death.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Puck?!?

Surely you jest, HH.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    One of the new "nice guys" is Marcus Giles of the Braves. One of the really good guys is Ted Lindsay.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Always had a smile for everyone, and played his heart out >>

A smile for everyone perhaps- EXCEPT the opposing hitter. Are there any pitchers that have the "mean stare" in the tradition of Stewart-Gossage-Gibson? Seems the stare itself was always good for at least one strike. >>

My bad image

Dave Henderson (Henduuuuuuuuu)

What about Luis Tiant for the stare (and the wind-up image )
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options

<< <i>Mike Schmidt = Good Guy

Other good guys:
    Ryne Sandberg
    Cal Ripken
    Ernie Banks
    Bob Feller >>

Agreed, though I was disappointed to hear Schmidt say that he would have taken steroids when he was a ballplayer if it "would have helped my bat speed." I heard saw him say this tonight on the "Bonds on Bonds" ESPN special. Really took me back.

I thought Schmidt had a good head on his shoulders, but that was disturbing.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife was in the Sharper Image with her sister the other day.

David Robinson was shopping - they went over and said hi and he talked with them for a bit. He was very friendly. They took "phone" pics.

She didn't have anything for him to sign - but he was willing.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike Schmidt = Good Guy

Other good guys:
    Ryne Sandberg
    Cal Ripken
    Ernie Banks
    Bob Feller >>

Agreed, though I was disappointed to hear Schmidt say that he would have taken steroids when he was a ballplayer if it "would have helped my bat speed." I heard saw him say this tonight on the "Bonds on Bonds" ESPN special. Really took me back.

I thought Schmidt had a good head on his shoulders, but that was disturbing. >>

Despite being a diehard Phils fan, I do not consider Schmidt a good guy.

He managed the Single A Clearwater Threshers two years ago. Left after a year citing "financial reasons." When the team visited Ft. Myers to play our local Twins team the Miracle, he did not have the time of day for Phils fans who showed up. There was not a huge crowd, many were kids and he would not even acknowledge them.

In contrast during the same season the then Expo team came to town. Tim Raines I think was the manager. I watched a 6 year old kid stand behind the dugout during the game, asking Raines for a ball. Raines looked at the kid, motioned for him to wait a second, then reached into a bag and tossed the kid a ball when play stopped.

That's class.
  • Options
    Let's not forget Roberto Clemente!!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Barry Sanders. My favorite athlete of all time.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid about 14 I think. I went to a ballgame in St. Louis with my uncle and cousins(because they were cardinal fans and it was a free trip.) Anyway, sitting in the lobby of the Marriot one night after a game I saw George Foster(then with the Mets) just sitting there, Now being a Reds fan all my life I knew exactly who he was. My cousins and most of the younger kids were running around getting things signed by other players. i went up to him to get his, he signed a ball for me and I started to strike up a conversation with him. I started talking to him about his days with the Reds and other things, he seemed very impressed that a kid would know so much about him and his days with the Reds. My cousins came over after a few minutes and asked me who he was right in front of him. I said are you kidding me ? This is Mr. "up the middle or just goodbye, another Foster rbi" Which is a quote I got from a slurpee cup with George Foster on it about 10 years before. Mr. Foster laughed out loud at that one and said "kid you are amazing, I havent heard that saying in years". Well, Mr .Foster and I sat and talked for probably almost 45 minutes until he politely told me he had to go to his room. To this day he has been the nicest player I have ever met, and probably still my favorite Reds player.

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Jerome 'Bus' Bettis does (did) a lot of work in the city of Pittsburgh. Never met him, but sure seems like a class guy.
  • Options
    Mel Harder (now deceased - Cleveland Indians).

Thats why I collect him.

When my son was about 5 (he's now 17) Mel came into my mom's antique store/slipcover to have something fixed that his wife had made before her death.

He took about ten pictures with my son, showing him how to throw a curve ball, signed a ball for him and signed a baseball bat that I had.

He later showed up at my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Spent alot of time talking to me about pitching to Gehrig (says he was one of the best hitters ever), Babe Ruth and how Joe DiMaggio only had a lifetime .180 average against him.

Talked about the 48 Worlds Series, 54 World Series and alot of discussion about Bill Veeck, how he wasn't in the Hall of Fame, etc.

The man lived a humble life here in Chardon, Ohio and always attended functions that benefitted the community.

They event built a local ball park here and dedicated it "Mel Harder Field."

Class guy all of the way.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired