Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any Advise On Shopping For Third Reich German Coins?

For a while now I have wanted to purchase Third Reich Sliver Coins
That includes the one each with Swastika, and Potsdam Church. But I have been put of by the many that are offered on ebay. Seeing that many time the sellers use the same photo for all their auctions.
Then there are so many of them. That scares me that some are fakes. I would just like to add one of each to my personal collection. Can you tell me what to look for when buying.
To tell the real from the fake? Or direct me to a reputable seller.

Comments

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong here German Coins - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Ron's a good guy... I've ordered from him several times.
  • Options
    what's the story with the Notgeld Billion Mk coin 1923, which he has prominently displayed. Is it real? If so, what is it worth. That looks cool. Sorry if the questions are stupid...I only really collect Canadianimage
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I don’t have much history on this series, here is what I know:

With the beginning of WWI in 1914 people started hoarding the minor silver coins. Due to the absence of small change, especially in the concentration areas and their flanking areas.

They could compensate the lack of minors inside the Empire through new coinage and from inventory of Reichsbank vaults, while in Silesia, Posen, Westprussia, Westfalen, the Rhine-province and upper Alsace token-money was issued by Citys, towns, private companies, districts and departments.

The situation aggravated in 1916 when nickel and copper coins were withdrawn from circulation. That days the silver a coin contained was worth more than the denomination. Another wave of Notgeld was issued and again with the end of the war.
    In the years after the war when the inflation began more and more Notgeld was minted, and in these several years of issues more and more people started to collect these manifold coins.

So in 1921 the Landesbank of Westfalen started with their well known series. The coins never were real currency and not dedicated for circulation. The proceeds of the sale from these coins was used for social purposes.

An exeption were the coinages struck in fall 1923, but the the inflation galloped and the face value was already at zero at the day of issue. Finally these coins were given as a present in the schools of Ruhr Basin.

The big 1 Billion coin was issued and sold after the inflation for 2,50 Reichsmark.

The following coins of 1923

- 10.000 Mark copper/zinc
    - 10.000 Mark bronze
    - 5 Millionen Mark tombac
    - 5 Millionen Mark copper
    - 50 Millionen Mark tombac

were also called „Ruhrdukaten“ because the campaign against the occupation of the Ruhr Basin by the French was subsidized through the clear profit of sale.
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's real. Germany suffered from massive inflation during this time.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don’t have much history on this series, here is what I know: >>

Wow, Udo! That's a lot more than I think any of us expected! Thanks a million for the background image
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    You're welcome spoon. image

By the way, the One Billion coin made of Nickel Silver / silver plated is 60mm in diameter, has a mintage of 11.113 and is expensive.

Here's another one of the series, a 100 Mark coin brass, showing the German poetess Anette von Droste Hülshoff.

I guess I've hijacked this thread now, sorry HenriIII

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You're welcome spoon. image

By the way, the One Billion coin made of Nickel Silver / silver plated is 60mm in diameter, has a mintage of 11.113 and is expensive.

Here's another one of the series, a 100 Mark coin brass, showing the German poetess Anette von Droste Hülshoff.

I guess I've hijacked this thread now, sorry HenriIII

image >>

roughly how expensive is it?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Wesphalia coinage from the 1921-23 time frame... and yes the 1 Billion M coin is tough.... I have seen them trade in the $300-600 range about three years ago. I am not sure what one would fetch today

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Here's a 500 Million Mark by Goetz. Photo by cosmicdebris.

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone for the referals. In addition the great history lesson German inflation I really enjoyed reading it.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    for the record Ive bought a bunch of stuff from Ron and have always been pleased !!!!!
    that's about as reliable as you can get.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    There are two varieties of the Billion Mark coin. One is 60 MM and the other is 61 mm in diameter. I have examples of both.