Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Basketball has a bigger scumbag than Barry Bonds!

Since Carew4me wants to start threads in the Sports Cards and Memorabilia forum to talk about athletes not supporting their kids...

http://specials.tribstar.com/bird/corrie.htm
The Tribune Star

Longing for a lasting bond

From a distance, Corrie Bird happy for her father

By David Hughes

Corrie Bird would like to attend the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies for her famous father.

But she probably won’t see Larry Bird honored Friday at Springfield, Mass., at least not in person.

‘‘If I went, I would want to go with my dad,’’ explained the senior majoring in elementary education at Indiana State University, the same place where Larry set dozens of basketball records in the late 1970s.

‘‘And I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think it would be neat, but . . .’’

Corrie, 21, isn’t expecting an invitation of the verbal or written variety from her father anytime soon.

The 1995 graduate of Northview High School remains close to her mother Janet, Larry’s ex-wife, and her stepfather Mike Deakins. But the history of Corrie’s distant relationship with Larry Bird has been well documented by the national media in recent years. Television segments about her yearning for a bond with her dad appeared on ‘‘Oprah’’ and ‘‘20/20,’’ and another story mentioned it in Sports Illustrated’s May 4, 1998, edition.

Corrie said she still feels uncomfortable talking with her father, despite his continuing financial support.

During the 1997-98 NBA season, when Larry was making his successful debut as head coach of the Indiana Pacers, Corrie traveled with friends to Market Square Arena to watch several home games as the team marched into the Eastern Conference finals.

Of all her visits to MSA, the date that sticks out in her mind is April 17, when the Pacers downed Toronto. After that game, Corrie spent about 30 minutes chatting with her dad, which she thoroughly enjoyed.

‘‘He’s always really nice when I do see him,’’ she insisted.

But Corrie admits they have not spoken to each other since April 17.

‘‘It’s not really a relationship at all,’’ she said of how she views her father. ‘‘I wish it were. . . After the April 17 game, I was hoping that would change. But it hasn’t.’’

A message left for Larry Bird at the Pacers’ office in Indianapolis was not returned to the Tribune-Star.

Corrie wonders if the Sports Illustrated article, which did not portray Larry in a positive light, might have affected the attitudes of her father and stepmother, Dinah, toward her. Corrie said she didn’t realize the story would be about other athletes who fathered out of wedlock and their mothers.

Larry and Dinah also have two young children, Connor and Mariah.

Corrie said Dinah used to call her once in a while, but she can’t remember Larry ever calling.

Still, Corrie hopes her father enjoys his big day Friday.

‘‘I definitely think he deserves it,’’ she said of his Hall of Fame selection. ‘‘I’m really happy for him.’’

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    All these guys will have to answer for this stuff one day.....maybe not to us on these boards, or the media, or the courts, but certainly to a much higher power. I know I wouldnt want to be in their shoes when that day comes. We all sit around and spew anger towards the athletes for taking steroids, or sniffing coke, or whatever else. In the end, that doesnt mean they are hurting anyone but themselves. They are not put on this earth to be our role models despite what we think, but they certainly should be role models to the people they help BRING to this earth.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since Carew4me wants to start threads in the Sports Cards and Memorabilia forum to talk about athletes not supporting their kids...

http://specials.tribstar.com/bird/corrie.htm
    The Tribune Star

Longing for a lasting bond

From a distance, Corrie Bird happy for her father

By David Hughes

Corrie Bird would like to attend the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies for her famous father.

But she probably won’t see Larry Bird honored Friday at Springfield, Mass., at least not in person.

‘‘If I went, I would want to go with my dad,’’ explained the senior majoring in elementary education at Indiana State University, the same place where Larry set dozens of basketball records in the late 1970s.

‘‘And I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think it would be neat, but . . .’’

Corrie, 21, isn’t expecting an invitation of the verbal or written variety from her father anytime soon.

The 1995 graduate of Northview High School remains close to her mother Janet, Larry’s ex-wife, and her stepfather Mike Deakins. But the history of Corrie’s distant relationship with Larry Bird has been well documented by the national media in recent years. Television segments about her yearning for a bond with her dad appeared on ‘‘Oprah’’ and ‘‘20/20,’’ and another story mentioned it in Sports Illustrated’s May 4, 1998, edition.

Corrie said she still feels uncomfortable talking with her father, despite his continuing financial support.

During the 1997-98 NBA season, when Larry was making his successful debut as head coach of the Indiana Pacers, Corrie traveled with friends to Market Square Arena to watch several home games as the team marched into the Eastern Conference finals.

Of all her visits to MSA, the date that sticks out in her mind is April 17, when the Pacers downed Toronto. After that game, Corrie spent about 30 minutes chatting with her dad, which she thoroughly enjoyed.

‘‘He’s always really nice when I do see him,’’ she insisted.

But Corrie admits they have not spoken to each other since April 17.

‘‘It’s not really a relationship at all,’’ she said of how she views her father. ‘‘I wish it were. . . After the April 17 game, I was hoping that would change. But it hasn’t.’’

A message left for Larry Bird at the Pacers’ office in Indianapolis was not returned to the Tribune-Star.

Corrie wonders if the Sports Illustrated article, which did not portray Larry in a positive light, might have affected the attitudes of her father and stepmother, Dinah, toward her. Corrie said she didn’t realize the story would be about other athletes who fathered out of wedlock and their mothers.

Larry and Dinah also have two young children, Connor and Mariah.

Corrie said Dinah used to call her once in a while, but she can’t remember Larry ever calling.

Still, Corrie hopes her father enjoys his big day Friday.

DA BIG HURT - We don't agree on a few things that's for sure but this is really pathetic. Some things in this life just don't make any sense. I don't feel I can sit back and judge anyone but man this is just shocking....... and sad. chaz
  • Options
    Here is more on Randy Johnson and this is just "hot" off the press:

The 16-year-old "love child" of New York Yankees pitcher Randy Johnson said her star father coldly responded to letters she sent to him and that she cannot bear to watch him pitch on TV anymore, the New York Post reported Wednesday.

"I would get cards back from him with just his signature — 'Randy,' " said Heather Renee Roszell, who sent the letters in an effort to meet Johnson.

Johnson broke off his relationship with the girl's mother, Laura Roszell, 46, while she was pregnant, and he has seen Heather only once, shortly after she was born. He does have "reasonable visitation rights" from a custody agreement, Roszell told the Post.

Heather, who lives with her mother in Langley, Wash., told the Post that she stopped writing letters because "I never got [more of] a response, so it got to the point where I didn't want to deal with not getting the response.

"I don't have a relationship with him."

Johnson is suing Laurel Roszell for $97,000 for child-care payments he made for Heather, according to court documents revealed by the New York Daily News and New York Post on Tuesday.

According to the documents, Johnson first agreed in 1997 to pay Roszell $5,000 per month in child support for Heather, and another $750 in monthly day care expenses, the Daily News said.

Laurel said Johnson balked last year after she asked the 3-time Cy Young Award winner to buy a truck and computer for Heather and pay for her community college classes, the Daily News said.

Johnson then demanded that Laurel return $71,000 in day-care payments and $26,000 in interest because the teen was too old to be in day care, according to legal papers.

"My daughter is 16 and has not been in day care for at least five years," Johnson said in a Feb. 3 affidavit. "[Roszell] should not receive a windfall for expenses she did not incur."

Johnson fathered Heather with Laurel Roszell, whom he started dating in 1988 when she was working at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in northern California, the Daily News said.

"I do acknowledge that I have a daughter from a previous relationship, which ended years before my marriage," Johnson, 42, said in a statement. "I have fully financially supported her and have made every effort to protect her privacy."
  • Options
    hey chaz i think we finally agree on something as well.image
  • Options

<< <i>hey chaz i think we finally agree on something as well.image >>

The world isn't goin' to hell in a hand basket afterall. image chaz
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    FWIW here in Ny the word is that the woman broke it off with Johnson.

Steve in NY

Good for you.
  • Options
    Most days i have trouble going an 8 hour shift at work without missing my wife and kids terribly

I don't know how these guys can possibly distance themselves from their own children like that

Dave