Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Newer collectors who are reading this forum....

Here's the deal...

I want the two newest collectors that have signed as members of this forum since Nov 1st, 2005. I've got two brand new May SMR issues. For those newbies who don't know what the SMR is...it's the Sports Market Report that is put out monthly and offered by PSA with a membership. It's a more accurate secondary pricing guide related to sports card collecting. Including autograph prices, used bats and non-sports cards. It's not as inflated as the Beckett price guide and is better to guage your spending on Ebay. There are also great articles regarding collecting in the SMR. This issue has articles on 1971 Topps, game used bats, an in-depth look at Kobe Bryant and a great article on Thurmon Munson.

These two issues will be sent to the two newest members of the CU (Collectors Universe) forum who can actually use them. I don't want somebody who signed up so they can chat away on the Open Forum. I want these issues to go to collectors who want to have a better grasp on secondary market pricing (Ebay) and who want a better idea on the worth of their existing collection (or an idea on how much it will cost to start a new collection).

Newbies, just post here and I'll be able to see when you had signed up. You can also post what your interests in collecting are. That way everyone here can also get an idea and perhaps help along with info.

Please.... no alts from older members, this is just to help get the new guys going.

I'll periodically put this thread to the top so everyone will see it and I will pick the two people on Thurs around noon (central time).

Cheers! Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos

Comments

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I'm a newbie, this sounds pretty cool.

I started collecting around 77-78, my cousin gave me a couple handfuls of 71-72 opc hockey cards. After that, my next card was (seems shocking to me also) a c 56 Georges Vezina, I bought it for $15 bucks then lost it for just over a couple of decades but that's another long story. Wasn't until around 89 that I started collecting just to collect.

I sold most of my collection back in 95, except for the good stuff (sad day). Lately, like in the past 5 years I've been trying to replace some of it.

Buying on ebay is a dream come true for me, but my pockets aren't as deep as I would like. I just buy what I want, no consideration for future resale or investment value.

Some of my rookies include: Howe, Orr, Vezina, Ross, Gretzky and many more. And here's a pic of my favorite card, all time (previously posted).
    Sorry I was long on wind, heh heh.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I'm a newbie and would love one. I buy Tuff Stuff and Beckett each month, and have never seen a SMR. If not, thats cool too. image

My main collection is autos, but I dabble in older and newer sport cards. I am big into the Red Sox and Patriots.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I'm new here, I'm trying to learn as I rebuild my collection after a burglary. I actually bought 2 of my old cards back, in the same scratched screwdowns. A 1955 Ted Williams and a 1953 Yogi Berra.

I collect Packers and Pirates, and everything before 75. I have some newer stuff too but I like the older, especially 1971.

My first card was a 1971 Oscar Gamble I found on the sidewalk.

My favorite thing in my collection is a black baseball bat commemorating Clemente winning a batting title. It was given out at a promotion at a Ford dealership in the 60s. Clemente handed me mine. I didn't think to get it autographed. I don't think it's worth a lot but it is to me.

My white whale is a 1958 Kahn's Clemente. I haven't seen it for sale, maybe someday.

Some years ago I bought about 20 cards that were PSA graded that belonged to David Hall, when he cleared out his collection with Superior. I still have them, they were in a different part of the house. Mostly all Packers, nothing real valuable. I liked PSA cards when I got those ones. Now I'm buying them on ebay, and I'm not afraid of OC cards.

I signed up for the 1 month SMR online and liked it, it expired yesterday. I've been thinking about the 2 year membership but when I sorted thru cards to send in, and scanned them, they didn't look worth sending.

I could use one of the SMRs to help me decide, even if somebody else gets it first and passes it along, or if I pass it along when I'm done. The girl on the phone at PSA said they didn't have samples they could send out, or partial samples, and that they couldn't sell just one issue.

Anyway this place is full of information, most of it good!
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I'll mail mine to someone.. has nothing but baseball in it anyway image

Wick just let me know who to send my SMR too after you've given your 2 away..

-Garret
  • Options
    Awfully generous of you, Garret. I'll let you know.

Cheers! Wick

• Options
    ttt

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Awfully generous of you, Garret. I'll let you know.

Cheers! Wick >>

Bah.. you started it! image
  • Options
    Yo! Hook me up! This sounds like just what I need. I started buying packs when I was like 8 years old but quickly moved to the vintage-and by that I mean '50s & '60s- and really have just got "back into" serious collecting in the last 6 months or so, and haven't yet gotten into the modern aspects of collecting, for example i have no graded cards, just bought my first card off e-bay(though it's taking forever to get here) so this could really help me out.

Thanks in advance if you choose me.
  • Options
    ttt

• Options
    ttt

• Options
    I think the four of you will be set up with issues. I've actually have three and Garret(Knuckles) will take care of the fourth. If the four of you(nightcrawler, Tedw9, jimq112 and mantlemarisfordberra) could private message me with your addresses, I'll be happy to take care of it. Two of you need to turn on your PM function. Go to the top Nav bar and click on profile. 3/4 of the way down , you'll see where they ask you to allow PM function. Click on yes and you're good to go. I'll hear from you guys soon.

Cheers! Wick

• Options
    Wow, what cool offer! Your kindness is very much appreciated. I have sent you my address, thank you so much! image

And for the record, I was one of the people who needed his PM's on. image:
  • Options
    One guy responded. Let's hear from the other three.

Wick

• Options
    You have a PM - thanks again!!

jim
  • Options
    PM sent, thanks!!!!!!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for SMR issues from the last 18 months or so (whatever I can get my hands on) since my local bookstore no longer carries it. ANY help from a member would be appreciated.
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    That's very nice and I appreciate this very much,

Thanks wick70 and knuckles, I'll get that PM out.
  • Options
    I've actually passed on quite a few baseball auctions, because I have no idea what the cards I like are worth. There are no price guides where I roam, except the odd beckett hockey.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I've actually passed on quite a few baseball auctions, because I have no idea what the cards I like are worth. There are no price guides where I roam, except the odd beckett hockey. >>

Don't bank on SMR to tell you that. It is a good guide, but it is at times WAY off. I don't think they cross reference SMR to the pop report so some of the high grades on tough cards is way low, and the revers is also true.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I also have a March and April issue from this year that I will give away to the first two people who PM me image
  • Options
    PM sent, thanks!
  • Options
    Wick, I wanted to thank you again for the SMR magazine. I can't believe how nice it is and I'm thrilled that it features my favorite set, the 71 baseball. You really made my day. Thanks!
  • Options
    can I get the issue with the kobe bryant article?
  • Options
    I want to really thank you! Just got it in the mail today, I can tell a lot of hours this weekend will be spent pouring over it!Thanks again
  • Options
    I am not sure which of you kind gentlemen sent me the SMR magazine, but thank you!! image

• Options
    Hi guys, got my SMR today. Thanks very much, this is a very friendly thing to do. Thanks Garret, and Wick for thinking this up.

I'll be heading to Edmonton saturday afternoon to watch my kid play in the Native Provincials, I'll miss the first couple of games but it's just the round robin until sunday.
  • Options

<< <i>I also have a March and April issue from this year that I will give away to the first two people who PM me image >>

Got it in the mail today, thanks!!

I'm hooked, the SMR is a great alternative to Beckett. Now I just need to come up with some cards to submit.

Thanks again Brian Winters fan!!
  • Options
    Can you get SMR at your local bookstore or do you actually have to have the PSA membership to get it? I am fairly new to the graded card part of the hobby. I have heard of the SMR but have never seen one. Can you get a subscription to it without being PSA member? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

I am looking to build my already growing Collection of the "GREATEST PITCHER IN MLB HISTORY" Nolan Ryan, DUH!!!

I have just started to collect Autographed memorabilia that I have gotten in person.

ebay id: Scuba_steve19
    Texas5pt0@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Some of the local bookstores (Barnes and Noble and Books a Million) used to carry them. Haven't seen them there in a couple of years. Talk to your local card shops, if they're around anymore, and see if they might be an authorized PSA dealer. They might be willing to part with one. I don't know the info about whether or not you can subscribe just to the SMR. I'm sure you can but I don't know the how or where.

Cheers! Wick

• Options
    I have a couple old SMR's PM me if you would like one.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm new here, I'm trying to learn as I rebuild my collection after a burglary. I actually bought 2 of my old cards back, in the same scratched screwdowns. A 1955 Ted Williams and a 1953 Yogi Berra. >>

What's the story here? You bought your own cards back? Why not call the police?

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm new here, I'm trying to learn as I rebuild my collection after a burglary. I actually bought 2 of my old cards back, in the same scratched screwdowns. A 1955 Ted Williams and a 1953 Yogi Berra. >>

What's the story here? You bought your own cards back? Why not call the police?

Tabe >>

I did call the police. There's no way to prove they were mine. The bright cop told me that it might be a good idea to put my name on the back so it didn't happen again. I'm not picking on cops, just that one wasn't all that sharp.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    do you still have some older SMR's available? Let me know. Thank You...Bill
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.