Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1955 all american experts..Updated to show we're right about something

As some of you know, I'm working on a modest '55 all american set, buying 6's and 7's and prices that are close to SMR. SMR has common PSA 6's at $18, and common PSA 7's at $35. That's been in line on what I've been paying for on the 23 I have bought so far.

So just for my knowledge, can someone explain this auction for #3 Weir in PSA 7?
Weir auction

This card is listed in SMR as a common, so I thought I might get it for around $35. Uh, guess not.

Thought an expert, perhaps kingraider, etc., might know something about this card I don't know. Or is this just one of those auctions?

thanks for any info. I always thought I'd get the Weir before the Four Horsemen and Jim Thorpe, but maybe not.

shawn

Comments

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I don't know exactly, but those two fellas need to learn to snipe! It has the looks of a classic grudge match between two users who really wanted the card.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    It appears to be a very weak 7 at that. At that price I would definately wait!
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Kind of makes you think you'd take a chance and have this one graded....

ungraded weir

You're right, two people wanted it, but I don't know what. If for the registry, I would've understand a better example, PSA 8 or 9, but why the fuss over a 7????

Guess I'll go check the population report, maybe there aren't many available in any grade, although the SMR certainly doesn't state so. As I said, it's one of the 65 that aren't listed individually.

shawn
  • Options
    Checked the pop report, 31 PSA 7's. That's in line with other cards in the set, definately not in short supply.

For comparisons sake, there have been 31 Ken Strong's graded PSA 7. He's a HOF and there was just a PSA 7 of him with a Buy it Now of $55.

Just a pi$$ing match I guess. Some people have more money than sense, as the saying goes.

My apologies to anyone on this board who may have paid that price. image

shawn
  • Options
    Remember this thread from nearly a year ago when a PSA 7 1955 Ed Weir sold for $332.00??

It's been said on here a million times....

Don't be discouraged about missing out on a card you wanted at a high price, eventually another will come along.

This one ended this week Weir PSA 7

Unfortunately, I missed out on this one too, forgot to set a snipe. image

Again, another one will come along.

shawn
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    According to vcp, the last 2 sold for 105.50 (ebay 1.28) and 93.00 (ebay 11.28)
    The bin on that last one looks like a steal, the ones that went for 300. a p'ing contest between registry guys.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I had it on my watch list.

Think it's a tad OC for a 7, hence the price.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    How's your set going Stown?? I see from your sigline you're at 76%. Are most of your cards graded or ungraded? A lot of what you have looks gradeable, are you waiting on a special?

I've been pretty disappointed with what's available on eBay recently. I haven't bought any for some time. Most of what is listed seems to be from the same seller who keeps listing the same cards with a reserve that never gets met.

Either that, or there are PSA 5's (which I'm trying to avoid) or PSA 7's (which always seem to rise above my price range). I'll keep plodding along trying to steal some 6's.

Best of luck on your set.

shawn
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How's your set going Stown?? I see from your sigline you're at 76%. Are most of your cards graded or ungraded? A lot of what you have looks gradeable, are you waiting on a special?

I've been pretty disappointed with what's available on eBay recently. I haven't bought any for some time. Most of what is listed seems to be from the same seller who keeps listing the same cards with a reserve that never gets met.

Either that, or there are PSA 5's (which I'm trying to avoid) or PSA 7's (which always seem to rise above my price range). I'll keep plodding along trying to steal some 6's.

Best of luck on your set.

shawn >>

I'm currently number 45 on the basic and lucky 13 master (even though no errors are there... yet). Of the set, I have 11% graded and will eventually submit my raws (5 or better) when there's a special. If I come across an upgrade that's already graded, I'll buy it at the right price.

I know the reserve guy, just won an auction but it didn't hit his reserve image

Otherwise, I've stalled out and my snipes aren't triggering. Oh well, no rush image

Good luck to you too image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts