Five Dollar
Obv 1991
Desert Storm
Liberty
Flag & Jeep

Is this a "real" coin..?

Comments

• Options
    NCLT from a self-declared 'independent' ranch in Western Australia.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "New Queensland Mint" isn't even in Australia, but somewhere in California.

IIRC, these coins weren't actually issued by the "authority" of Hutt River Province, but a "renegade" con artist. I suppose he thought that, since Hutt River Province isn't a "real country" as far as most of the planet is concerned, no-one would really care if he made "spurious" HRP coins.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "New Queensland Mint" isn't even in Australia, but somewhere in California.

IIRC, these coins weren't actually issued by the "authority" of Hutt River Province, but a "renegade" con artist. I suppose he thought that, since Hutt River Province isn't a "real country" as far as most of the planet is concerned, no-one would really care if he made "spurious" HRP coins. >>

Wow!! You don't even have to take them somewhere for them to be worthless.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, this does make it pretty unique in the world of coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course, this does make it pretty unique in the world of coins. >>

Nah, it's something many 'pseudo-nations' have trouble with, particularly the more famous ones. The Prince of Sealand (a tennis-court-sized abandoned WWII gun tower off the coast of England) also has trouble with "pretending pretenders" who arrange for the issue and sale of coins without his authority. I mean, what can they do about it? Appeal to the laws of the land they claim to have seceded from? image

Of course, "official" and "unofficial" coins all end up lumped together in the same listing in the Krause "Unusual World Coins" catalogue.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)