Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Why are there only a few Franklin Sets?

I just starting to build a Franklin Set Registry and noticed that there are very few (compared to other sets) in PCGS Set Registry. What do you think the reason is? Franklins are popular to collect and easily available. Why don't collectors put their coins into Registry?
image Scottish Fold Gold

Comments

• TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>I just starting to build a Franklin Set Registry and noticed that there are very few (compared to other sets) in PCGS Set Registry. What do you think the reason is? >>

It is an UGLY coin?

Timimage
  • Are you only looking at the non-fbl registry? There are a ton of sets in the fbl one. Much more than most US coin series.
  • Franklin Half Dollars FBL Date Set, Circulation Strikes (1948-1963). There are only FIVE All Time and FIVE Current Sets in the Registry.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Here's mine. Long way to go on the proofs though. Want them in all cam or dcam.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only FIVE All Time and FIVE Current Sets in the Registry.

Actually, there are 7 All Time and 5 Current. A date set is a gimmick and may not be accepted by all collectors.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a complete set so I did not bother with the date set. Probably many others did the same.
  • there are well over 100 mint state sets registered ;

Franklins are one of the most registered sets there are
  • mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    i was going to put my meager set into the fbl date set registry but having a 50% complete set its kind of pointless. I did enter a couple coins in the non fbl date set registry just so when i get discouraged about being 141 in the fbl registry i can look at my #5 set.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    There are almost as many Frankie MS sets as there are Kennedy proof sets. Maybe it's all about the hair! Perhaps if they hired Frankie as the spokesperson as a starting member of the hair club for men, they might get more popular! Just kidding. There are at least 172 registered sets for Frankie. I believe they are so popular because people remember getting them in circulation as a kid. That was a lot of money as a kid back then. Now it's not even pocket change, but affordable to those people now. Just my fifty cents. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Koindawg, you are looking at the Franklin Date set, which is a relatively new and not too popular Registry Set. The complete sets (35 coins) are where you will find most Frankie players.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Yep, with NGC added it's way over 200 sets--- Then add in the probability of all the RAW sets out there in albums!. It's a popular set--plus I'd bet that a lot of those raw sets have some monster coins in them!image
    morgannut2
  • ............i'd like to see a bunch of those monsters ,

and yes - i remember 8 or 9 years old holding my very

first Franklin in my hand . It was soooo big !!

never will forget it