Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA/DNA Submission Update: Autograph Encapsulation

- March 24, 2006

The encapsulation of autographs such as checks, cuts, index cards, unlicensed cards, and the like has become a very popular service at PSA/DNA. To ensure that these items are processed in an efficient manner, please take note of the following:

Encapsulation, if you choose the service, is now included in the full PSA/DNA authentication fee. Please refer to the autograph authentication chart for more information (maybe include link here). Please make sure to clearly mark the appropriate box for encapsulation on the submission form. Please remember that if encapsulation is selected the submitter will forgo the certificate or letter of authenticity.

If the customer chooses, they may request both encapsulation and the certificate or letter of authenticity for an additional fee of $10. All autographs submitted for encapsulation must be submitted as a separate order from items not to be encapsulated (separate shipping fees apply). This will ensure more efficient processing.

Please note that encapsulation is available for items that fit in holders currently available. For additional information, please contact Customer Service. We hope you enjoy this increasingly popular service and, by following the steps listed above, your items will be processed in the most efficient manner. If you have any additional questions, please contact one of our customer service representatives toll-free at (800) 325-1121.

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    So I guess this means that they won't slab any autograph for $20. You'll have to pay whatever their chart says as per the player.

I won't be submitting much if anything at all in the future if this is true.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    At least they finally clarified this service. I found it non-sensical that PSA/DNA would not handle the encapsulation- only PSA did and that, of course, required a membership.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    What if the sig already passed PSA/DNA?
  • Options
    What if the sig already passed PSA/DNA?

They will charge you the full service fee, not just a reholder fee.
    I just submitted 5 custom cards on Sunday at the show and they still only charged $20 per. Most of the auto verification fees are still $20. It's just when you submit the more vintage players that they start charging $75 or more. It still sucks when you pay $200 for an auto and then still have to pay $100 to have it authenticated.

edited to say .... if I get a call from PSA saying that I owe more money, I'll be pi$$ed beyond belief.

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    I'll have to talk to customer service. The article, itself , does not state that they are discontinuing the encapsulation service through PSA. It's referring to sending your sigs through PSA/DNA and how they are including the encapsulation.

Wick

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    From what I understand, it will not affect autographed, licensed cards that are submitted under the PSA service at $20/per. I am collecting the NFL HOF autograph set and would be p*ssed if I had to pay more than $20/per because there are many I still need graded/authenticated that are from HOFers who died 20+ years ago.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Here's info straight from their website which makes more sense.

The encapsulation of autographs such as checks, cuts, index cards, unlicensed cards, and the like has become a very popular service at PSA/DNA. To ensure that these items are processed in an efficient manner, please take note of the following:

1. Encapsulation, if you choose the service, is now included in the full PSA/DNA authentication fee for those items with an authentication fee of $50 or more. Those items under $50, encapsulation is only $10. Please refer to the autograph authentication chart for more information, http://www.psadna.com/fees.chtml. Please make sure to clearly mark the appropriate box for encapsulation on the submission form.

2. Please remember that if encapsulation is selected the submitter will forgo the certificate or letter of authenticity.

3. If the customer chooses, they may request both encapsulation and the certificate or letter of authenticity for an additional fee of $10.

4. All autographs submitted for encapsulation must be submitted as a separate order from items not to be encapsulated (separate shipping fees apply). This will ensure more efficient processing.

5. Please note that encapsulation is available for items that fit in holders currently available. For additional information, please contact Customer Service.

We hope you enjoy this increasingly popular service and, by following the steps listed above, your items will be processed in the most efficient manner. If you have any additional questions, please contact one of our customer service representatives toll-free at (800) 325-1121.

So from my understanding if I were to submit one of my signature cut cards of say Roger Maris it would now cost me $75 for authentication/encapsulation as per their fee list.. no longer just $20.
    and if I were to send in say Barry Bonds it would cost me $40 + $10 to get it encapsulated rather than the $20 before.

OUCH!

Welp.. SGC/JSA is still doing it for $20.
  • Options
    I just sent an e-mail to their cust service about this new service. I specifically asked if their PSA service is being discontinued and if we have to go through DNA now. I'll probably hear back from them by the end of the week.

Cheers! Wick

• Options
    I'm further confused. PSA still has autograph authentication/encapsulation on their submission form. Does this mean only signed cards can go through PSA for authentication?
  • Options
    So is it safe to say that the method listed below will no longer work??

1) You send the cards (or any flat up to the size of a small postcard) to PSA/DNA (NOT PSA!)
    2) You fill out the PSA form (NOT PSA/DNA)!)
    3) You check the box that says "Autograph authentification and incapsulation". Some items can be graded. Since these are home-made, they cannot.
    4) You ignore the PSA/DNA fee schedule. You submit $20/item.
  • Options
    I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them

Wick

• Options
    Thanks Wick.
    If so I guess I will be heading over to SGC.
  • Options
    If it turns out that way... you , me and I'm sure a lot of other people.

Wick

• Options
    James Spence is no slouch and I was a longtime submitter to SGC before I came over here so I have no problem going back for that part of my collection. PSA will get my card business and they will get the autos.
  • Options
    Can I use my Auction LOA upgrade for encapsulation instead? See below from PSA/DNA....

PSA/DNA Auction Letters of Authenticity - To assure that items being auctioned by major auction houses are authentic, PSA/DNA provides a special auction authentication service. This service provides the bidder the reassurance that the items they are bidding on have been examined and deemed authentic by PSA/DNA. This reassurance is evidenced by a PSA/DNA letter of authenticity that bears a description of the item written by the auction house and PSA/DNA's statement of authenticity.

We are now offering success bidders a special discount off our regular authentication fees. As part of the PSA/DNA’s Full Authentication process, your autographed collectible will go through a four-level Authentication System.

To take advantage of this upgrade opportunity, please send your item in with your Auction Letter of Authentication (originals only) along with the COA/LOA upgrade fee. You must send your original auction letter or the regular authentication fee will be charged. Note that the original auction letter will not be returned.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Any news?

I was going to submit some stuff for encapsulation at PSA, but if what we're reading is indeed in effect, there's no way in hell I'm going to pay 3 to 5 times more to get it slabbed at PSA. Looks like it's SGC/JSA for me. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Man, this really clouds things up quite a bit. However, I still read the line "The encapsulation of autographs such as checks, cuts, index cards, unlicensed cards, and the like has become a very popular service at PSA/DNA. To ensure that these items are processed in an efficient manner, please take note of the following:" as implying that everyting, EXCEPT licensed autographed cards, must now go through the PSA/DNA process. It still seems that a certified auto card from 1998-present whether it be a SP Babe Ruth Cut or a Bruce Sutter can still be slabbed and graded for a normal grading fee as well as any LICENSED auto card prior to 1998 can be authenticated and slabbed for $20.

I may be totally wrong here, I hope not, but if I am, I'm like the others - I may be unloading my auto registry sets soon and cease sending anything to PSA.
  • Options
    No reply to me e-mail yet. I'll let you guys know.

Wick

• Options
    I guess I'm a slow kid because I am not following. I'm not sure where my cards lie in the grand scheme of things. If I have a card such as 1987 Fleer signed IP or TTM by Pete Rose, will it still cost $20 to have it authenticated but not graded and slabbed? I guess my question is whether the TTM/IP auto makes the card "unlicensed" for lack of a better term because it was not company issued that way. Would it have a red or a blue label?

I am soooooo confused, it's not funny. GAI is looking more and more appealing to me.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    <The encapsulation of autographs such as checks, cuts, index cards, unlicensed cards, and the like has become a very popular service at PSA/DNA>imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i><The encapsulation of autographs such as checks, cuts, index cards, unlicensed cards, and the like has become a very popular service at PSA/DNA>imageimage >>

That is funny - its become popular so we want to change it so we can make more money. Another way to stick it to the little guy and help the auction houses.
  • Options

<< <i> guess I'm a slow kid because I am not following. I'm not sure where my cards lie in the grand scheme of things. If I have a card such as 1987 Fleer signed IP or TTM by Pete Rose, will it still cost $20 to have it authenticated but not graded and slabbed? I guess my question is whether the TTM/IP auto makes the card "unlicensed" for lack of a better term because it was not company issued that way. Would it have a red or a blue label? >>

In the past (and hopefully in the future), you could send an '87 Fleer Pete Rose autograph to PSA and have the autograph authenticated and card graded and slabbed for a $20 flat fee. The $20 fee would apply to any licensed card with an autograph whether it was Joe Dimaggio or Otis Nixon. That's how most of us that have Baseball or Football HOF Autograph Registry sets went about building our sets. I guess we are still waiting to see if this is still the case.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> guess I'm a slow kid because I am not following. I'm not sure where my cards lie in the grand scheme of things. If I have a card such as 1987 Fleer signed IP or TTM by Pete Rose, will it still cost $20 to have it authenticated but not graded and slabbed? I guess my question is whether the TTM/IP auto makes the card "unlicensed" for lack of a better term because it was not company issued that way. Would it have a red or a blue label? >>

In the past (and hopefully in the future), you could send an '87 Fleer Pete Rose autograph to PSA and have the autograph authenticated and card graded and slabbed for a $20 flat fee. The $20 fee would apply to any licensed card with an autograph whether it was Joe Dimaggio or Otis Nixon. That's how most of us that have Baseball or Football HOF Autograph Registry sets went about building our sets. I guess we are still waiting to see if this is still the case. >>

Thank you for the explanation.
  • Options
    Here's the jist of things..

Things sent into PSA/DNA that are not a licensed item will be authenticated and slabbed using the blue flip. So cheques, index cards.. my cards.. anything not licensed = blue flip. Things sent in that are licensed such as an upper deck card or whatever will be slabbed using the red flip.

I was correct in regards to the pricing on page1 of this thread (in bold) but if you're sending in a decent amount of cards, index cards, cheques whatever to be authenticated/slabbed you can call PSA and ask to speak to someone in PSA/DNA sales to enquire about getting them done at $20 a pop as before since you're sending in a decent amount... decent being 15-20+.

You guys doing a registered HOF set can send in everything to get them re-slabbed using the blue flip rather than sending them to SGC/JSA for $20 a pop.

Tom - Yes you can use your auction LOA upgrade for encapsulation instead.

- Garret
  • Options

<< <i>

In the past (and hopefully in the future), you could send an '87 Fleer Pete Rose autograph to PSA and have the autograph authenticated and card graded and slabbed for a $20 flat fee. The $20 fee would apply to any licensed card with an autograph whether it was Joe Dimaggio or Otis Nixon. That's how most of us that have Baseball or Football HOF Autograph Registry sets went about building our sets. I guess we are still waiting to see if this is still the case. >>

A minor correction, you could grade and/or authenicate the autograph as long as the value was under $500. I really don't know what the fee structure is if the value of the card/auto was over $500.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Right, thanks for that clarification Greg.

So, I guess I'm still not clear on whether or not things have actually changed with PSA. Can we still send in our licensed autographed cards (ie. '85 Topps Dan Hampton or '75 Topps Larry Little) and have them authenticated, graded and slabbed for $20?

You had mentioned before we sent in our last submission that you may be able to get together another 100 card minimum submittal for the reduced $15/card fee. Do you think this can still happen?

Looking forward to getting the last submission back, not only for my cards but to see how everyone else did.
  • Options

<< <i>Right, thanks for that clarification Greg.

So, I guess I'm still not clear on whether or not things have actually changed with PSA. Can we still send in our licensed autographed cards (ie. '85 Topps Dan Hampton or '75 Topps Larry Little) and have them authenticated, graded and slabbed for $20?

You had mentioned before we sent in our last submission that you may be able to get together another 100 card minimum submittal for the reduced $15/card fee. Do you think this can still happen?

Looking forward to getting the last submission back, not only for my cards but to see how everyone else did. >>

I don't think it changes anything that we've been doing. I belive that it only affects autographed non-licensed card items that PSA use to authenticate/slab.

By the way, one of our orders has been graded. I have several e-mails into PSA because they didn't grade the 1977 Touchdown Club cards. They slabbed them as "Trade Card" without even putting the player's name on the flip!!! I'm p*ssed because the 1977 Touchdown Club set is listed in the Standard Calalog. I wish that PSA would listen to their customers sometimes - I get a little tired of they believing their ALWAYS right. I'm not an idiot and do have a little knowledge of cards.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>James Spence is no slouch and I was a longtime submitter to SGC before I came over here so I have no problem going back for that part of my collection. PSA will get my card business and they will get the autos. >>

Anyway of telling when these were authenticated? Posted on the SGC board so I hope they are not slamming their own?

imageimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Here's the jist of things..

Tom - Yes you can use your auction LOA upgrade for encapsulation instead.

- Garret >>

Garret-
    Thanks for the follow-up. Tom
  • Options
    ugh.. yes it does change.

As I said above.

If your sending in one to a couple of items you're going to be charged as per the fee list on the PSA/DNA website.. you will not get to only pay $20.

If you have a larger amount they'll most likely give you the old deal of $20/auto but call before sending to be sure. I know it's kind of sketchy but this is what I was told from my contact at PSA.
  • Options

<< <i>ugh.. yes it does change.

As I said above.

If your sending in one to a couple of items you're going to be charged as per the fee list on the PSA/DNA website.. you will not get to only pay $20.

If you have a larger amount they'll most likely give you the old deal of $20/auto but call before sending to be sure. I know it's kind of sketchy but this is what I was told from my contact at PSA. >>

Knuckles,

Not trying to argue, but I don't think it changes the $20/card to grade and or authenticate autographs on licensed cards. I'll call PSA to confirm, but I belive it refers to non-licensed cards and non-card items that PSA previously would slab (cuts, post cards, custom made cards, schedules, ect....).

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I spoke with a customer service rep regarding the slabbing of index cards, cut signs, etc and they told me the cost was no longer a flat $20 charge, but whatever the authentication fee PSA/DNA charged. That means in order to slab a Mantle, Dimaggio or Ted Williams auto, you're looking at $75 for the authentication AND $10 to slab it.

I honestly can't recall ANY service increasing their fees two to four hundred percent overnight and not lose most of their customers. If they gradually phased in an increase to a flat $25 to $30 charge, that would've been easier to swallow. But going from paying a $20 fee to possibly having to pay a $110 fee is just plain nuts.

Even the oil companies aren't this greedy!!

• Options
    I'm still agreeing with Greg here. I think the $20 fee is still in effect for autographed licensed cards. PSA sill has there little ad with the Mantle autograph and the link still shows that these cards will be authenticated and slabbed for $20. This service is also still on the order form. I think is a case of, as we've talked before, PSA and PSA/DNA seeming to be two completely separate entities.
  • Options
    My bad.. e-mailed my contact again..

My question..

One more quick question/clarification.

On the online PSA order form it still shows: "Autographed card grading & authentication $20" (with a declared value of under $500)

Do the new fee's only apply to un-licensed items? If just one single licensed baseball card of say Mantle is submitted for autograph authentication (so red flip) will it be sent using the PSA form not the new PSA/DNA form? and will it only be $20 as before?

His reply..

Correct, provided its declared value is still under $500. In short

All Licensed cards with an autograph must be submitted through PSA and will be holdered in RED. The price remains $20 with an under $500 declared value. You can have the card graded or slabbed authentic

All unlicensed cards, 3x5’s, photos, envelopes etc… will be submitted through PSA/DNA and will be holdered in BLUE. The fee will be what is normally charged for authentication (Aaron-$20, Mantle- $75, Koufax-$30 etc...) PLUS a $10 holdering fee. You can still opt for the labeling, DNA daubing etc…
  • Options
    Well, at least they're using vaseline and not yet throwing the sand in .

Wick

• Options

<< <i>Well, at least they're using vaseline and not yet throwing the sand in .

Wick >>

Wick,

I have to disagree w/ you. This has been a long time coming in my opinion. I never understood the price difference between sending an item into PSA/DNA and having it slabbed through PSA. For instance, in the past let's say you had a Nellie Fox cut autograph on a notecard. If I send the cut to PSA/DNA it's $75 but if I send it to PSA and have it slabbed it's only $20? That never made any sense to me.

My other point is that PSA has to bring their prices in line with the risk they take in slabbing autographs and the expertise needed to authenticate the autograph. For their business to survive, they have to charge their fees in accordance with the service they're providing.

As I said, this is only my opinon for what it's worth.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    So I can clarify my own situation I have a question. As many on here know I collect auto's through the mail. I am only using licensed cards so far like the 2005 Topps All-American Retired football set. So would the method listed below still work for me??

1) You send the cards (or any flat up to the size of a small postcard) to PSA/DNA (NOT PSA!)
    3) You check the box that says "Autograph authentification and incapsulation". Some items can be graded. Since these are home-made, they cannot.

Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>

Wick,

I have to disagree w/ you. This has been a long time coming in my opinion. I never understood the price difference between sending an item into PSA/DNA and having it slabbed through PSA. For instance, in the past let's say you had a Nellie Fox cut autograph on a notecard. If I send the cut to PSA/DNA it's $75 but if I send it to PSA and have it slabbed it's only $20? That never made any sense to me.

My other point is that PSA has to bring their prices in line with the risk they take in slabbing autographs and the expertise needed to authenticate the autograph. For their business to survive, they have to charge their fees in accordance with the service they're providing.

As I said, this is only my opinon for what it's worth.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

If this has been a long time coming, then it would make sense for PSA to make ALL autographs authenticated to be one price, and not a $20 charge to slab a 1968 Topps Mickey Mantle, then turn around and charge someone else $85 to slab a Mickey Mantle signed business card.

As I understood it, PSA was able to charge only $20 to slab a signature and not the full bill as PSA/DNA because the items being authenticated were small pieces of cardboard/paper and not premium items like a helmet, jersey, bat, ball, etc...

• Options

<< <i>So I can clarify my own situation I have a question. As many on here know I collect auto's through the mail. I am only using licensed cards so far like the 2005 Topps All-American Retired football set. So would the method listed below still work for me??

Thanks >>

I belive the answer is yes - but still mail the cards to PSA!!!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming PSA moderates these boards .... now would be a good time for company rep to step in and clarify the situtation once and for all for you guys ... my .02
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Thanks gregm13