Home Metal Detecting

Ding-ding... Lunch time ring!

Got out before the rains today and hit a local ball field during my lunch break. After baby #3 was born last month, I already knew lunch breaks (and nap time) would be the best opportunities to get out for some detecting...

I was using my XLT and a super small coil (3" snooper) since it's a trashy area. I was going along not really paying attention, picking up shallow coins and pull tabs when I got a strange signal. I was avoiding zinc signals in order to maximize my hunt time and this signal hit the dime area (+79 VDI) but it had the pull-tab "flutter" sound. I've heard plenty of these "flutter" sounds in the pull tab range but this was the first time I think I've ever heard it in the dime zone.

It was a super shallow depth and as I wiped some of the top soil away, I saw a silver edge. I first thought "pull tab" but then I thought, no, this should be silver since it was ringing as high as a dime. Sure enough, I carefully wedged this ring out of the dirt:

I don't like studying finds too much when I'm out in public, so I tossed it in my pouch and kept detecting until lunch time was over...

When I got back to my car, I could see that it has some sort of stones and the design of the ring has silver sockets where the stones fit in. Maybe this is why the signal provided that "flutter" sound... or maybe it was another target close to the ring when I first heard it.

After wiping the dirt out of the inside of the ring, I was also able to confirm that it's silver... marked "925":

I took several pictures of it because as you turn it in the light, you see that the colors change. My wife loves this color combo and was wearing it all night after showing it to her. She mentioned something about "fire opals" but we're not sure what type of stones these are... maybe some other sort of crushed stones?

Well, it was nice to get out and find a keeper during lunch today. Looks like we're due for more rain now (and I thought Spring had Sprung! imageimage)

Hope you all can get out and make some good finds soon.

Rick

- and another shot since each pic seems to have slightly different shades of the colors...

Comments

• Shoot...Man that thing is really nice!......image
  • Thanks Steve, I think my wife will be claiming this one! image

(by the way, one of these days I need to set up my web site like yours so it's easier to scroll through finds and see all the thumbnail pics... Your site, LM's, and Demodigger's are the type of sites that are fun to go back to visit more than once)
  • That's a really nice ring Rick!

Of the few silver rings I've found, only one is hallmarked for silver purity (925). Three others that I found had to be tested and all three came up .800 .
    I wonder what the AK means? Makers mark??

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Thanks John.
    Hmmm... I've never had any of the silver rings tested that didn't have markings. That's interesting to get .800. As for the "AK," that could be the designer's signature (or maybe the brand name "Anne Kleine"?)

I did some searching today and found a ring on line that looks similar to the one I found. Maybe the stones are opals. Custom made ring
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice find Rick!!

<< <i>I don't like studying finds too much when I'm out in public, so I tossed it in my pouch >>

I even do that in the woods. MD time is for MDing, not ooglingimage
  • Thanks Tim!

Yeah, that's too funny... I've done that a bunch of times... throw something in the pouch and figure the "field time" is much more valuable than the "find evaluation" time, soooo- back to work and swing that coil!!!

The exceptions to the rule have been some of those incredible (for me) "firsts" that knock me down laughing... (i.e. 1st verified Spanish reale, I stopped, laughed, sat down, enjoyed the view and soaked in the moment. image)
  • i've bought my wife several opal rings. yours does look like opal, but not fiery opal. do you see any red colors? never seen opal in a silver setting. opal is very fragile and should only be cleaned with water.
  • Thanks for the tip on the cleaning... I didn't know that and might have dunked it in the wrong chemical solution.

No red colors in this one and I think you're right... it's not a "fire" opal... looks like what some call "Blue/Green" opals. (mostly blue with sparkles of green that show up at different angles)

Also, this guy on the web creates custom rings with opals in silver settings:
    Custom made opal rings
  • Purty ring!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Man nice find Ric!!Nice way to spend the lunch hour.HH,Tom
  • Nice find.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Awesome find !
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"