Home Sports Talk

3 football games Thanksgiving day...

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
...but the prime time game (KC and Denver) is only available on NFL network. Not a problem for me, I get it, but I understand a good portion of the population doesn't, and football on thanksgiving day is a tradition. To hijack it and hold it hostage like this is deplorable.

On a much better note, my Bucs will be playing the Cowgirls in game 2. Not sure how much I like that, as it's a home game for Dallas on a short week for the Bucs. Seems the Cowboys always get it at home (tradition) and I can't help but think it's a huge bonus in the short week.

Also, first week, there's a double header for monday night: Minny and Washington (huh?) and OAKLAND and SD? The raiders in the premier game on MNF? What's going on here?

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a mistake by the NFL not putting that Thanksgiving prime time game on public TV - oh well....
  • Ax - I hadn't heard that - I thought all 3 were on TV.....crap.

I was looking forward to 3 games, esp. the local team!
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>That's a mistake by the NFL not putting that Thanksgiving prime time game on public TV - oh well.... >>

I see this as the NFL's not-so-subtle way of saying 'hey, you football fans NEED nfl network'. What I have seen of the channel has been pretty uninspired, they run the same shows over and over and over, with very little original programming.

• << <i>That's a mistake by the NFL not putting that Thanksgiving prime time game on public TV - oh well.... >>

MDF has NEVER been on PBS image
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    nice easy win for my boys!!
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I get NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv - I must have the NFL network, right? I have never watched it once...

The Monday night doubleheader - seems odd. Two games at the same time? Why do that when you can only cover one at a time.
    The doubleheader is spaced out 3 hours apart.

The choices for the opening games (Vikes and Washington, SD and Oakland) seem dubious.

We'll see how this plays out.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Week ONE Monday night double header

Thursday, Sept. 7:
    • Dolphins at Steelers, 8:30 ET (NBC)

Sunday, Sept 10:
    • Cowboys at Jaguars, 4:15 ET (FOX)
    • Colts at Giants, 8:15 ET (NBC)

Monday, Sept 11:
    • Vikings at Redskins, 7 ET (ESPN)
    • Chargers at Raiders, 10:15 ET (ESPN)

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    The thanksgiving day game puzzles me also, I think it should have been put on one of the networks. After all most of us go to grandma's house at Thanksgiving; and she doesnt have cable !

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Week ONE Monday night double header

Thursday, Sept. 7:
    • Dolphins at Steelers, 8:30 ET (NBC)

Sunday, Sept 10:
    • Cowboys at Jaguars, 4:15 ET (FOX)
    • Colts at Giants, 8:15 ET (NBC)

Monday, Sept 11:
    • Vikings at Redskins, 7 ET (ESPN)
    • Chargers at Raiders, 10:15 ET (ESPN) >>

Actually, doing it that way, a Monday night doubleheader of NFL sounds pretty good. Except of course if you need to get up early Tues morning (that second game might not end until 1:30am)

Sunday night is Manning vs Manning. Get ready for the hype now.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Chargers at Raiders, 10:15 ET (ESPN) >>

looks like they did that for west coast people.. will end before 11 out there..
    The more NFL the better. Too much is never enough image

<< <i>The more NFL the better. Too much is never enough image >>

Actually I disagree with this. What's happened to baseball looks to be happening to football. Too much of it, available nearly every night of the week. To me at least, there's something special about SUNDAY being FOOTBALL, and the dessert, MNF.

They want games on thursday, saturday, etc. etc. It's going to be where the event aspect of watching a game is going to be not as special any more.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the Sunday/Monday combo.

• WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I'm not paying to watch football. That's ridicuous. I love sports, have all my life, but I seriously have better things to do with my money. I wouldn't even pay to watch the Superbowl. If they can't show it for free, screw it, they can keep it. I'll take my family out to dinner with the money.

<< <i>

<< <i>The more NFL the better. Too much is never enough image >>

Actually I disagree with this. What's happened to baseball looks to be happening to football. Too much of it, available nearly every night of the week. To me at least, there's something special about SUNDAY being FOOTBALL, and the dessert, MNF.

They want games on thursday, saturday, etc. etc. It's going to be where the event aspect of watching a game is going to be not as special any more.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the Sunday/Monday combo. >>

I'll take as much NFL as possible. Why not? I don't mind baseball being on all the time either - I can watch whatever games I want. What would you prefer being on TV...sitcom garbage or more stinkin' celebrity poker?

<< <i>I'll take as much NFL as possible. Why not? I don't mind baseball being on all the time either - I can watch whatever games I want. What would you prefer being on TV...sitcom garbage or more stinkin' celebrity poker? >>

You illustrated my point perfectly. I am not trying to tell you not to enjoy it, but I think having football on all the time takes away from the mystique of the game. /shrug

I loved the idea of watching football on Sunday, flipping through a few games that catch my eye. Just seems like the NFL is dilluting their product wanting to put it on so many nights a week.

And there's plenty of programming besides 'sitcom garbage' or 'celebrity poker'. When I get home from work, I have the daily show, colber report, PTI, and countdown with keith olbermann to watch. That's all the tv watching I need to do in a day.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll take as much NFL as possible. Why not? I don't mind baseball being on all the time either - I can watch whatever games I want. What would you prefer being on TV...sitcom garbage or more stinkin' celebrity poker? >>

You illustrated my point perfectly. I am not trying to tell you not to enjoy it, but I think having football on all the time takes away from the mystique of the game. /shrug

I loved the idea of watching football on Sunday, flipping through a few games that catch my eye. Just seems like the NFL is dilluting their product wanting to put it on so many nights a week.

And there's plenty of programming besides 'sitcom garbage' or 'celebrity poker'. When I get home from work, I have the daily show, colber report, PTI, and countdown with keith olbermann to watch. That's all the tv watching I need to do in a day. >>

I hear ya...but the NFL in reality isn't going to alter the weekly schedule much if at all. During the college football regular season, the NFL isn't going to schedule any games on a Saturday - so Saturdays are permanently out. And the nature of the game itself of course is that players need as much time as possible to recuperate between games. There are other reasons as well as to why the basic NFL schedule isn't ever going to really deviate much from Sundays...and honestly that is quite okay by me.