Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Overgraded PSA Cards, What to do?

I recently purchased a 1978 Topps Football PSA 9 Harvey Martin. Upon receiving the card, 3 of the 4 corners are badly
touched. If it was raw, I would not submit it if I wanted to get an 8. That said, does PSA review these type of cards
and if they agree it was overgraded what do they usually do for compensation? Has anyone else gone through this?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    They supposedly guarantee their grades so unless it's a cheap card that isn't worth the effort of sending in, I'd ask them to do a review. So long as the slab doesn't look like it's been tampered with, they won't reject it. I have PSA 9 Topps Desert Shield G. Maddox that looks like it was overgraded as well that I've been think about sending back.
  • Options
    Was the card loose in the holder? I have had quite a few that could move enough to damage corners.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options

<< <i>Was the card loose in the holder? I have had quite a few that could move enough to damage corners. >>

Not true.
    totally an Urban Legend..........

Nice article in which this guy took a slabbed card and abused it a bit to see if the card inside would be get damaged. Interesting results.

An experiment involving a paint shaker

An experiment involving a clothes dryer
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently purchased a 1978 Topps Football PSA 9 Harvey Martin. Upon receiving the card, 3 of the 4 corners are badly
    touched. If it was raw, I would not submit it if I wanted to get an 8. That said, does PSA review these type of cards
    and if they agree it was overgraded what do they usually do for compensation? Has anyone else gone through this?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Jeff >>

post a big scan if you dont mind..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you buy the Martin from DSL or 4SC by any chance?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Easiest avenue would be the 'Wall Street Walk' [e.g. sell the card]
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I have a 1975 Topps #629 Joe Hoerner in a PSA 9 holder that has a 1/2" pen mark on the front of the card extending from his left harm but no qualifier. I still don't know how they missed that one. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    The card does move around a tiny, tiny bit inside the holder ( maybe 1/16 of an inch both top and sides). All 4 corners
    are touched with the bottom/right being the worst. I will try and scan the card for you guys. I did not buy it from DSL or
    4SC, but rather a guy I have traded with in the past. Has anyone ever received compensation from PSA in a situation
    like this?
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I have 2 PSA 9's that I think are overgraded...I asked this same question before and got a few responses but nothing claiming any kind of compensation. I'm curious to see if anyone posts that they've received compensation.

I have a PSA 9 Walter Payton that now sells in the $600+ range which has a small surface defect (missing paper) and a PSA 9 Ahmad Rashad that has a stain that goes through the front of the card and is visible on the back. IN both cases, the defects are very noticeable and detract from the card and I would strongly suspect the grade as well.

Let us know what happens with yours if you decide to send it back in. I"m waiting for a few "I did it, and this is what happened" stories before I part with either of mine.
  • Options
    I am having trouble attaching the file. Is there anyone out there who I can email my scan? Thanks
    Jeff
  • Options
    They do compensate you if the card has been legitimately overgraded. If there is a sport show near you coming up and PSA is there grading, that's probably your best bet. That way you can talk to the people yourself and don't have to worry about shipping fees. I had a damaged card (PSA 8 1961 Minoso that had been ruined while sealing) that I brought to them. I had talked to Carol and she had brought over one of the graders (I believe his name was Juan). He was very thorough in stating what they could do to reimburse me. Two of my choices were to
    a) receive a check for the SMR value
    b) receive 5 free submissions with a turnaround of 5 days and free return shipping/ins.

I opted for the submissions.

One of the options they might have for you is to regrade the card and cut you a check for the SMR difference. You would have to talk to them personally.
    They are good with their guarantees of graded cards and will help you.

Cheers! Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    Pittsburghese...
    turn on your PM function

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    you can email it to me jimq112@yahoo.com if you want
  • Options
    The scan is up, although my scanner is not the best. You can definitely see the bottom right corner. Thankyou Wick for
    your help.

Jeff
  • Options
    Thats nasty!! Where did that come from???
  • Options

<< <i>The scan is up, although my scanner is not the best. You can definitely see the bottom right corner. Thankyou Wick for
    your help.

Jeff >>

I see a blurry right bottom corner but it is such a crappy scan that it is hard to see it if is bad or not
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me, especially for a $10 card.