Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1 More Thing . . . 1960 TOPPS FOOTBALL

Why is it that no one seems to want cards from this set . . . even in PSA-8 most can be had for under $40.00? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the backs are extremely condition sensitive and the centering was a major issue as well. It is only 132 cards and can still today be put together in high grade for less than a song and a dance? Is there a reason? Some things about this hobby just seem to perplex me . . . image

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    at $40 a crack thats only $5,000. That is some heavy scratch if you ask me. But, a lot of people don't like the design for some reason. I love it, but have not taken the plunge into it yet. 1972 is busting my wallet at this tima along with the ALL-Time Packer set.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    for a PSA-8 graded 1960 set???
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I think that one of the drivers is the lack of HOF rookies compared to sets both before and after.

1957 Unitas, Starr, Lane, McDonald, Hornung
    1958 Jurgensen, Jim Brown
    1959 Sam Huff, Jim Parker, Bobby Mitchell, Jim Taylor
    1960 Forrest Gregg
    1961 Don Maynard, Jim Otto, Don Maynard
    1962 Mike Ditka, Fran Tarkenton, Billy Shaw
    1963 Wilson, Wood, Nitschke, Lilly, Buoniconti

I think of the 1960 Topps set almost like the 1974 or 1980 sets - sets with few if any HOFers (or minor HOFers) that are often overlooked by extrememly popular sets right before or after.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Greg M.

BTW - I picked up a georgeous Forrest Gregg rc at the Sun Times show yesterday for $40. It is a solid 9.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Nobody wants cards from this set????

I disagree.

Ask Frank Evanov what the Evil Empire paid for his set.

There are 6 sets with set avg over 8.00 and 31 sets in total. Nothing wrong with $40 for a common from that era. These are not rare cards.

Its been a while since I bought commons in 1959 and 1961 but I would bet common prices except ffor low pops are in a similar area.

Dav