Home Metal Detecting
Options

Larger that average quarter

I found this thing last summer, and didn't think much about it, until recently attempting to put it in a tube with other silver quarters. It wouldn't fit, and upon comparing it to other quarters, saw why. It has a larger diameter than other quarters.
It wouldn't go in the tube that other quarters were happily sitting in, and if you hold this quarter and another between your thumb and finger, the other quarter will slip right out.
The quarter shows no signs at all of being artifically flattened to increase its diameter.
It shows no signs of undergoing any stress at all to make it a freak. No signs of being exposed to fire/high heat at all, and it certainly has not been pounded.
Its reeded edge is perfect, it appears to be the same height as a normal quarter, and it weighs the same as a normal silver quarter, 6.2 grams.
Its hard to tell if the mind is playing tricks here, but it also seems that all of the lettering and everything is also slightly larger.
I don't have a micrometer so don't know the exact difference.
Appears to be at least a full 1/16th of an inch, as you can place it on a normal quarter and see the rim of the freak all the way around on the bottom.
I'm stumped. Heres the scans of obverse and reverse next to a normal quarter [1954].
So what do you think ?

JJ

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a 10 yr spread.The 64 may still have the reading,and the 54 is most likly
    worn down.? What does it weigh?

Al
  • Options
    Well, I just took a random "normal" quarter for comparison.
    I could have used any other Washington quarter and the effect would be the same, worn or MS.
    This quarter will not fit into a quarter tube that any other quarter will fit into, so it is bigger no doubt about it - But not so big as to suggest
    an incorrect planchet ... Which still would not explain the larger lettering even if it was a half planchet.
    You can see by the pic that the lettering and in fact everything is slightly larger than usual.
    It weighs the same as a normal silver quarter, 6.2 g's.
    A mystery to me.
    JJ
  • Options
    Heres a couple more pics, on next to a normal 64, and the other of it refusing to join other quarters in a quarter tube.
    Oh by the way, the pic on the bottom scan is reversed. I can never remember to flip them right to make the scans match up.

JJ
  • Options
    Can you take a pic of the edge of the bigger quarter?...As close as you can...

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Texas Dollar"

These were altered via either thick leather straps or wood planks and rubber mallets and tons of patience.

It all started with engineers competing against themselves to see who could enlarge a Morgan dollar without distorting the details.

I own one and it is remarkable. I also have a Kennedy half (same year as your quarter) that appears perfect yet 20% larger than its counterpart.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>Can you take a pic of the edge of the bigger quarter?...As close as you can... >>

There ya go. The reeding appears uniform and almost perfect all the way around.
    I suppose the "Texas Dollar" theory might well be valid, though its hard to beleive that such uniform results could be achieved
    while leaving the reeding apparently intact.
    JJ
  • Options
    Heh, that's some big money.

Couldn't resist. image
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    I was looking at the reeding to see if it was perfectly verticle. It looks like it is slanting ever so slightly, indicating that is has been altered in some fashion. I have to agree with the "Texas" theory...
  • Options
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Braddick, how bout some pix of those Texass coins.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>"Texas Dollar"

These were altered via either thick leather straps or wood planks and rubber mallets and tons of patience.

It all started with engineers competing against themselves to see who could enlarge a Morgan dollar without distorting the details.

I own one and it is remarkable. I also have a Kennedy half (same year as your quarter) that appears perfect yet 20% larger than its counterpart. >>

thanks for sharing that tid bit pat, as I find that very interesting. I guess one could say it's the oposite of what bert does:

imageBert Hickman

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were also available in the reverse.About 25% of the original size?(small)
    Al
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>They were also available in the reverse.About 25% of the original size?(small)
    Al >>

depends on the juice bert throws at it.

talk about a big-bang image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Did you notice that the 2 quarters are from different mints? It looks like the larger one is from Denver
    and the other would be from Philadelphia. Maybe the mint made a couple strikes before they realized
    that the size was too large?
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    Hey! I see you have some silver guitar picks. Cool!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Hey! I see you have some silver guitar picks. Cool!

Yeah I've always been a fan of metal on metal. I used to use pennies and nickels for pics before I got the pic shaped quarters.
    JJ
  • Options
    I have a morgan dollar with the same scenario it is too big to fit into a round. I sent it off to Van Allen and he stated that although it was larger it is still in the realm of normal....

nice find..

There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye