Home Metal Detecting
Options

LOL I'm an idiot

I gotta stop wearing my steel toe boots when I metal detect image

Comments

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Been there, done that. Makes ya go "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang" when you figger it out, don't it?
    imageimage

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. I've done it, too. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    do you guys metal detect with 2 or more detectors? Like one for general locating of something and then a smaller one for better pinpointing it?
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>do you guys metal detect with 2 or more detectors? Like one for general locating of something and then a smaller one for better pinpointing it? >>

I have two detectors- one for coinshooting and another for relic hunting, but I only use one at a time. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>do you guys metal detect with 2 or more detectors? Like one for general locating of something and then a smaller one for better pinpointing it? >>

Yes. I use my all-purpose detector to find the targets. I carry a pinpointing probe to help find the target in the hole or plug that I cut.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes. I use my all-purpose detector to find the targets. I carry a pinpointing probe to help find the target in the hole or plug that I cut. >>

I just have a coil thats about 10 inches and it can get really frustrating in trashy areas or areas that are probably covered with nails and other similar metals. I'd like to get a much smaller coil or maybe even a pinpointing probe to better pinpoint the items. If both a coil and pinpointer and not too expensive what would you guys suggest and how much are they about. I assume the pinpointer just detects when a metal item is anywhere near the probe and not just under it right? Also can smaller coils detect items just as deep as larger coils, just not over such a broad area?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes. I use my all-purpose detector to find the targets. I carry a pinpointing probe to help find the target in the hole or plug that I cut. >>

I just have a coil thats about 10 inches and it can get really frustrating in trashy areas or areas that are probably covered with nails and other similar metals. I'd like to get a much smaller coil or maybe even a pinpointing probe to better pinpoint the items. If both a coil and pinpointer and not too expensive what would you guys suggest and how much are they about. I assume the pinpointer just detects when a metal item is anywhere near the probe and not just under it right? Also can smaller coils detect items just as deep as larger coils, just not over such a broad area? >>

Yes a smaller coil will definately help in trashy areas. I use a 4 1/2" sniper coil on my Garrett. Not sure of what is offered for your detector..what brand? Pinpointing is a breeze when using a sniper coil and target separation is excellent. Personally, I've dug coins at 6-8 inches while using my sniper coil. In fact the only time my detector can be run at max sensitivity is when I have the sniper coil on, so loss of depth is minimal for coinshooting...at least with my detector.

I use the Tinytec probe. If you go to factory direct sales on the link I provided, they still have the older 6.5 inch model that I use for $39.95. It will respond once it gets within an inch or so of metal targets. The sensitivity is adjustable on the tinytec and it comes with a 2 year warranty.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Just ordered the Tinytec......I needed one for the site we were just at , and ended up using LM's....Now I have three MD'ers....2 Garretts and a Tinytec....image