Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Last 1 or 2 cards

I am finding that the last one or two cards are very very tough in a lot of sets. In most cases they are just very difficult cards period. But some should be more readily attainable.

While I am pleased on my progress in completing psa 8 or better vintage/semi-vintage sets this year(9 to date), I have 13 where I need just one or two cards to complete in psa 8 or better and 3 additional sets where I need one card to complete in psa 9 or better.

Special prizes go to those who can help me obtail these cards.
PSA 8 or Better
FB--
1953 Bowman-Gillom-40
1958 Topps-Renfro-17;Marchibroda-44
1962 Fleer-Lott-1
1963 Fleer-Buoniconti-10;Checklist
1961 Topps-Hornung IA-38,Wichita-89
1964 Philly-Gilburg-2;Bull 16
1966 Topps-Checklist-132
1967 Topps-Duncan-131
BASE
1952 Bowman-Fitzgerald-180;Stengel-217
1966 Topps-Cards Rookies-544
BSKBL
1968-69 Jack-in-the-Box-Barnes, Finkel
HOCK
1962-63 Parkhurst
MULTI-SP
1954 Sports Oddities-Maypole-4.

PSA 9 or Better
1961 NC FM-Mitchell 118
1964 Topps Giants-Boyer-57
1960 Mayrose FB-Fuller

Thanks in advance--in many sets I have completed fellow collectors or friendly dealers have supplied the last card or two. I have a feeling it will continue to be that way in the future.

Dav

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Mostly giving you a bump Dav,

but I can help with the 1963 Fleer Football Checklist in PSA 8 that you need. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Wolf,

Pls e-mail me with details--I am very interested.

Dav
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Dav,

I've been desperatly searching for a PSa 8 1963 Buoniconti for my HOF rc set and All Time Dolphins set (it's the last card I need). I guess that I'll be waiting a while longer - at least until you find one to complete your set image I was at the Chicago Sun Times show yesterday and none of the dealers had even seen one in over a year.

BYW - are you picky about centering? Personally, I won't buy a card in a PSA 8 holder if the centering is worse than 60/40. The reason I'm asking is because a PSA 8 Buoniconti was listed on E-bay last month - which I passed on because the centering was terrible.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Greg,

For expensive cards I am.

Jim
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    You missed the Stengel card in Leland's 12/04 auction. It's really tough, only Pop 14 of a popular HOFer in a popular set with Yankees collectors to boot.

That said - I'm sure you will find one sooner rather than later. Good luck, Jim.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc,

You're right--I never saw a Lelands catalogue.

Do you know what it went for?

Jim
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Jim - it was part of a fifteen-card lot of stars/HOFers in high-grade. The lot went for $6,300 total, which was only 10% or so more than SMR at time. I imagine that, at the time - one could have broken most of the lot up on Ebay or elsewhere for pretty darn close to the selling price, which would have given the Stengel net for a few hundred.

Not that I would typically endorse this type of strategy for finding a card. But if you are down to one really tough card in a very popular set - it can often be the most cost-effective/efficient way of finding that card for a reasonable amount. As you may remember - I purchased a large number of 1955 Bowman's basically to cherry-pick some 8s, 9s and 10s for my set, with the bulk of the remaining 8s [over half the set] going to a dedicated collector who is putting together an extra ordinary number of sets in top grade.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc,

I think a couple of months ago Triple SSS had the Stegel listed at $3,000.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Yes, Triple sSs had Stengel priced really high. Other than that one, I've never seen a PSA 8 offered.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Jim:

Which card is it that you need from the '62-63 Parkhurst hockey set...your initial post doesn't say.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Eyebone,

That was a mistake on my part.

I have 62 Parkhurst complete--it is 62 Topps I meant to put---card #2.

Jim