Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I haven't added anything to my collection

of coins from one per country in a long time. I haven't lost interest but I seem to be more or less lazy about it. That ever happen to you?
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    No, but you can switch to OFEC like me, one for every continent, a much easier set to complete. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>one for every continent, a much easier set to complete >>

Antarctica might be difficult.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Antarctica might be difficult >>

Maybe something with a penguin would do.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Do a OFEP collection (one from every planet). Sure the Jupiter pieces are pricey, but the Venus coins are gorgeous. Martian commems are tough in full red. From an investment standpoint the Mercury pieces are extremely liquid. Saturn coins are very businesslike, but the ones from Pluto are dogs. I don't trust most of the pieces I see from Neptune; I think they're fishy. The only coins I can't deal with at all are the ones from Uranus...

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting ready to give up for a while........ I've been to 2 straight monthly coin shows in my area and come home empty-handed. As a small fish, I can't even begin to look at the gold or slabbed coins, which immediately takes 95% of the show away from me. And less and less people are either bringing "junk" boxes to the show, or even bothering to look up at me to give me the time of day...... Add to that the fact that people are always on top of you and banging into you at the too-close tables, and it has all become more bother than pleasure. I'm hoping better weather brings out more large flea markets in the hope of finding some better junk-box sellers. Otherwise, I may have to let my collection "hibernate" for a while again....... image
  • Options
    Dave, Don't give up! If you can hit a show right when it opens then you may be able to beat the crowd and find some good deals and if you know how to contact any of the sellers, like a coin shop, before the show date you can express interest to them about bringing material that you would like to take a look at or be interested in buying. I went to two shows in a row last year and had the same reaction but now there are one or two that bring enough to make the 100 mile roundtrip worth it to me. Junk box coins are getting harder to come by the dealer told me.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Which countries you need ?
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>Which countries you need ? >>

too many to list
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I got there at 2pm for a 4pm closing last month, and half the dealers had already started packing up! This month, I got there around the 10am opening, and had no more luck. One guy who used to bring a suitcase full of "junkers" never does anymore, even after I see him each time & ask if he brought/will bring it. H has close to 100 6"-thick binders with coins from all over he transports, and his table's always full of perusers. But he tells me he has nothing new & it's "too heavy to bring with him......".

I can't even find people with "junkers" worth perusing just to fill holes in my kids' U.S. 20th Century typeset anymore, because all they seem to bring are shiny, cleaned silver at inflated prices or slabs.

It's getting depressing, because I obviously am not in my element there....................image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got there at 2pm for a 4pm closing last month, and half the dealers had already started packing up! This month, I got there around the 10am opening, and had no more luck. One guy who used to bring a suitcase full of "junkers" never does anymore, even after I see him each time & ask if he brought/will bring it. H has close to 100 6"-thick binders with coins from all over he transports, and his table's always full of perusers. But he tells me he has nothing new & it's "too heavy to bring with him......".

I can't even find people with "junkers" worth perusing just to fill holes in my kids' U.S. 20th Century typeset anymore, because all they seem to bring are shiny, cleaned silver at inflated prices or slabs.

It's getting depressing, because I obviously am not in my element there....................image >>

Agreed, local pickings are sparse for me as well. 90%+ of my buying now happens online. While the availability is much better, it's still not the same as being to look over coins in hand before buying, and there's just something "fun" about pawing through junkboxes... I miss it as well. image
  • Options
    not to mention the rediculous S&H that's often multiples of the coin's price which results from buying on-line piece by piece...............image