Home Sports Talk
Options

IRL crash

BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
Not much of an IRL fan, or even a racing fan for that matter, but that crash this morning was horrific.

Sad to hear the driver didn't make it. I guess it happens from time to time and shows how dangerous the sport can be. what a shame

Comments

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

I follow IRL and NASCAR pretty close and this is really a shame. The guy was a rookie, 30 years old and a motorsports journalist.

The crash was similar to the one with the Italian guy Alex Zanardi who lost his legs about ten years ago in an IRL race. The front of the car was sheared off by another car as he crossed the track after crashing. Most likely he bled out before they could do anything. Zanardi barely made it through the blood loss.

Dana's teammates, Danica Patrick and Buddy Rice won't race today. Nice thought from owner and former racer Bobby Rahal and partner David Letterman.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Just saw the footage, and it's amazing either driver lived.

Dana was the one who crashed into the other...the other has serious injuries, but lived.

• Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    Found this on fastmachines.com:

19 Paul Dana Rahal Letterman Team Ethanol 17 P/H/F 19 215.593 0 0 0 DNS $33,800 6

Inspite of not starting the Homestead race and dying Paul Dana still won $33,800 and 6 driver points.

AND he finished ahead of the guy he ran into!

Creepy weird.

GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!