Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to post a picture and a link to a website - updated 6/4/11

I was just reading pokerbot's introductory post and saw a need for an explanation of displaying pictures. I'll give it a try as to how I do it.

1. First off, you need to have the scanned image you want to display available on your computer. For example, I put all my images (files with .jpg, .bmp, etc. extensions) on my C: drive in a MikeStuffBaseball directory.

2. Sign up for an image-hosting site such as Photobucket.com. (Click on the underlined link to go there.)

3. While logged in to your image-hosting site, there should be a "Browse", or "Upload" button such as in Photobucket's "Upload now" box at the top of the first webpage (see image below). Hit the "Select photos and videos" button and locate the image you want to upload from your system and then hit the "Open" button on the pop-up window -- or whatever directions may be listed on your image-hosting site.

4. With Photobucket, after the images have been uploaded, you can type in titles and descriptions. Hit the "Save and continue to my album" button to the lower right of your Photobucket page as shown below when you're done.

5, To get the "Image" link, move your cursor over the image in the album you want to display on CU (similar to display below), then move your cursor to the box to the right of the line reading "IMG code". Click on that box and it automatically puts the "IMG code" in your clipboard, or computer memory.

You're now ready to display your Photobucket image!

6. Reply or create a new topic on one of the CU boards and do a "Paste" function ( <Control-V> or "Edit/Paste" ). Don't worry about typing any text. What should appear is a web address between two "tags", namely (IMG) and (/IMG) (with brackets instead of parentheses).

7. You can then either hit the "Preview" button before hitting the "Post Message" button to see how it looks so far, or just hit the "Post Message" button and check out the results. If you need to fix something on your post, you can always hit the <edit> button on your message and make the change.

After I highlighted and copied the selected text in the "Img" box for the 1965T Embossed Aaron card I had scanned and uploaded (see above), I pasted it below with this result:

I think I'll stop here and see if I'm helping, or confusing, anyone. FYI, there's also the "Special symbols" link at the bottom of the window when you type up a message here. I click on that sometimes to remind me which HTML tags to use to display either a web address ("link"), an image (see above), or other displayable features.

Good luck...

hh

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Hoof,

Good stuff. Are the photo hosting sights typically free?

Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Tom,

Yes, Photobucket.com is a free site. There are other sites that maybe others can recommend. I also have a free (Yahoo) Flickr account -- I'm going to go into it right now and see if it can be used to post pics here...

Test IMG from Flickr:

Nope. I can't figure out right now if that site is usable here. I use Flickr to upload pictures to share with my family in MN -- very useful with a new grandchild here and the family there!

If you have any other questions, lmk...

hh

• Options
    THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. I AM NOW ABLE TO POST SCANS. THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS I JOINED THIS SITE. HELPFULL, FRIENDLY PEOPLE SUCH AS YOURSELF. LATER, ROB.
  • Options
    Rob,

That's great news. Now...I'm anxious to see some of your Tark collection!

Thanks,

hh
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

First attempt at posting the photo

Just hit the preview button - it works.

Thanks for the tutorial

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One thing about these free services.....the pic you host could go to a red x if you have enuff hits on it. You are allowed only a certain amt of usage i believe.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>One thing about these free services.....the pic you host could go to a red x if you have enuff hits on it. You are allowed only a certain amt of usage i believe.

Steve >>

Oh! Is that what causes that with some images! Another way for the images to disappear is when someone cleans up their images on the free sites and the link has nothing to display.

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I'm learning from this post, too!

hh
  • Options
    image This may be my first post of a photo ever! Now if I figure out how to copy a link! This is my favorite Baseball card of all time!!! (I hope)
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    HoofHearted for President!!!!!imageimageimageimageimageimage
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options

<< <i>This may be my first post of a photo ever! Now if I figure out how to copy a link! This is my favorite Baseball card of all time!!! (I hope) >>

poppie, congrats on your first pic post! What a way to start out -- with Al K! I'll have to see if I still have that car dealership photo I picked up on vacation last year and show it here. But first, to post a link, just use the following format (per the symbols link at the bottom of the window when you post a message here):

(L=type what you want the link to say here)http://www.psacard.com/(/L) -- except replace the parentheses with bracets ( "[ ]" ) so the HTML tag is activated.

For example, here is a link to PSA's site after I type in (L=PSA's website)http://www.psacard.com/(/L) and using brackets instead of parens:

PSA's website

Here's the Kaline shot I mentioned earlier:

poppie, do you want it?? PM me with your address...

hh
  • Options
    Yes and thank you! How do I PM ???
  • Options
    ttt

I just read a post from someone needing to know how to post a scan...

Thanks,

hh
  • Options
    If using Photobucket.com you can also hit the Edit button in Photobucket to resize, rotate, etc...

hh
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
  • Options
    holy moly it worked. thanks for literally spelling out how to do it!!! now i just have to downsize it and it good. very cool.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>holy moly it worked. thanks for literally spelling out how to do it!!! now i just have to downsize it and it good. very cool. >>

coho
    I have found that keeping the width to around 500 pixels fits nicely and doesn't eat the screen and make people have to scroll around to see the pic.

What kind of scanner do you have?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    mike,

my scanner is a dell. i figure i can downsize them in the photo album thingy. i am really bad with this stuff. i was just shocker the pic even made it.
  • Options
  • Options
    that one is a little small. i have to figure a size inbetween. my first scan was at 50 percent and the second scan was 25 percent of original. thats all i see photo bucket has.
  • Options
    ttt for jackstraw
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    HoofHearted - Even with my novice pc skills, I think I can figure this out, thank you!!!!!
  • Options
    ttt for slatsme
  • Options
    ttt for 80sjunkie
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Big Monkey

Demanded 10

OK. Thanks Much.
    I guess I understand it.
    But, it was a little difficult.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>Big Monkey

Demanded 10

OK. Thanks Much.
    I guess I understand it.
    But, it was a little difficult. >>

Congrats, storm! It'll become routine as you do it more and more...
  • Options
    ttt for RedRomad..
  • Options
  • Options
    Here is the return of the totally EXCELLENT
    hoofhearted tutorial on photobucket.

Worked 4 me.

storm

imageimageimage
  • Options
    This is an execellent way to get started FAST,
    with PhotoBucket.

storm image
  • Options

<< <i>This is an execellent way to get started FAST,
    with PhotoBucket.

storm image >>

Is this a not-so-subtle hint for someone to learn how to post some vintage stuff?? Clever, but it'll probably just turn into another snipe-fest. I've pretty much stopped reading all the snipe tripe here -- which seems to crop up in nearly every thread. I'm just going to frequent the Mail Call and postcard threads anymore...

Glad you found this tutorial of use!
  • Options
    I also use Photobucket.......
    but i haven't figured out how to post multiple pic's....... as it seems to me there's only one spot for the http....etc. etc.

not even sure if it's possible ??????

anyone........
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

On Photobucket, they say you have 1 GB of space -- that I understand -- and 10GB of monthly bandwidth -- that I don't. What does bandwidth mean and/or what is it for? Maybe that has to do with how many hits your allowed?

Any info would be most appreciated.

• Options

<< <i>I also use Photobucket.......
    but i haven't figured out how to post multiple pic's....... as it seems to me there's only one spot for the http....etc. etc.

not even sure if it's possible ??????

anyone........ >>

jomer, Just paste the IMG links right next to each other in your post. Then they appear to be side-by-side. You can see what happens when I use the links of the Wicks card images in Stone's Mail Call thread:

Copy the "Img" links from Photobucket:

And post them here with no space or line-return between them:

imageimage

There is another way to physically place the two images in one file, but it's a little more complicated to explain. There is a thread on this or another forum that addresses that process. I'll see if I can find it and refer to it here.

Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>On Photobucket, they say you have 1 GB of space -- that I understand -- and 10GB of monthly bandwidth -- that I don't. What does bandwidth mean and/or what is it for? Maybe that has to do with how many hits your allowed?

Any info would be most appreciated. >>

elem,

Usually bandwidth refers to an amount of capacity, and in Photobucket's (Pb's) case, I believe they're referring to the amount of space, or capacity, you use each month in transferring the images to your Pb account.

If I'm too far off-base with this explanation, I'm sure there's someone here who can explain the more technical details of bandwidth...

Does that help?
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Yes it does help. Thanks. In any case, I'm guessing that 10GB is more than I'll ever need and really don't have to worry about it.

I am a little concerned though that someone said earlier that the photos on the free sites sometimes disappear after so many hits, since I've started using Photobucket for my eBay listings.

• Options
    I abhor watching people struggle.

• Options
    Hi everybody

Posting your pics is great !
    Honestly, i love it.

But please keep in mind THE SIZE of your pic. Believe or not there are still plenty of people with "dial up" service. (Me, for one.)

There are times when i will go to the "post your pic" thread and it,,,,,, will,,,,,,, take,,,,,,, forever,,,,,, to,,,,,,, load,,,,,,,, up,,,,,,, a,,,,,,,,, page !

So, please also learn how to resize or just size correctly the first time.

Thanks, and keep posting those cards !

LEE
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    you can also post images to your registry set, whether or not the images are of the card in question. Then link them from there.

I use imageevent.com for my collection, it's not free but I really like the interface and design.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Bring Up for theMetalsign, Please
  • Options
    Take To Top (4) TZahl
  • Options
    Buying
    Unused
    Master
    P

records. uh,not really.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ttt for leadoff4
  • Options
    The HH instructions are the best on the net.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The HH instructions are the best on the net.

image >>

Might as well

image for flyerfan27
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Photobucket keeps updating their site with some nice features, so I thought I'd add something from a recent post:

...here are a couple ideas of how to use it in regards to:
    1) Sub-albums and
    2) editing your pics.

Sub-albums
    1) Once in Photobucket, you can create sub-albums into which you can move or upload photos. Here is an example of what I've done:

After you enter a name in the "Create a new subalbum" box and hit the <Create> button, you'll be taken right to the new album. Once created, you can go into the subalbum directly before uploading your pics. Play with it and you'll get used to it fast.

editing your pics
    2) You asked about resizing. Just click on the "edit" option above the pic you want to resize. You'll be taken to a screen in which you can do several things, like resize, rotate, etc. Here is an example:

Click on the "edit" option above the pic as shown below.

Now just click on the "Resize" option (second option from left in display below) and you'll have different size options available.

• Options
    BUMP
  • Options
    Having problems on eBay because it says my pics aren't 200 something, not sure but anyway they're too small to use. I go to Photobucket and resize to the largest option available which I think is 840x680 or something and it still says they're too small.
  • Options
    You are going to have to "resize" them at the source,
    before you upload them to PB.

Depending on what program you are using for scans/photos,
    it is possible that you will have to re-do the pics, before uploading
    to PB.

I have had similar problems, but it is not PB's fault. It has to do
    with the settings when we take/make the photos/scans and run
    them through our picture-management software.

The EBAY photos have to be extra large to load into their
    supersize scheme. If you do not need supersize, your current
    pics may be ok.
  • Options
    Thanks Storm, you are full of info. on this subject and always correct. Thanks again! By the way, my photo using Photobucket looks much better than eBay hosting it. It's the closeups I was having problems with. I guess when I zoom in with the camera on certain things i.e. a tag on a jersey it makes the picture too small to resize.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts