Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklins start shipping April 3

From the Mint:

Shipping of the Benjamin Franklin Commemorative Coin products is expected to begin April 3, 2006 and continue for 6-8 weeks. Orders that include an individual coin option as well as the Benjamin Franklin Coin & Chronicles Set may be shipped separately, if necessary. We expect to begin shipping the Coin & Chronicles Set in early-to-mid May 2006. Customers whose credit card has expired, or will expire by the end of May 2006, must call 1-800-USA-MINT to update this information.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I bet the Mint is going to make a mint (pun intended) on these; they never had to send out the advertising info.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I see so many complaints on the design but these sure sold out in a hurry. I bet the dealers bought them in the thousands.
  • Options
    Last week it said my order (both coins in proof) would ship 4/30. Now it says 5/22. Wonder if we'll get them by XMAS?
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options

<< <i>Last week it said my order (both coins in proof) would ship 4/30. Now it says 5/22. Wonder if we'll get them by XMAS? >>

I just checked and all of mine are now saying 5/22. I got proof and circ for each design.
  • Options

<< <i>From the Mint:

Shipping of the Benjamin Franklin Commemorative Coin products is expected to begin April 3, 2006 and continue for 6-8 weeks. Orders that include an individual coin option as well as the Benjamin Franklin Coin & Chronicles Set may be shipped separately, if necessary. We expect to begin shipping the Coin & Chronicles Set in early-to-mid May 2006. Customers whose credit card has expired, or will expire by the end of May 2006, must call 1-800-USA-MINT to update this information. >>

Where did you get this info??? Did you call them or is it listed on their website somewhere??
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From the Mint:

Shipping of the Benjamin Franklin Commemorative Coin products is expected to begin April 3, 2006 and continue for 6-8 weeks. Orders that include an individual coin option as well as the Benjamin Franklin Coin & Chronicles Set may be shipped separately, if necessary. We expect to begin shipping the Coin & Chronicles Set in early-to-mid May 2006. Customers whose credit card has expired, or will expire by the end of May 2006, must call 1-800-USA-MINT to update this information. >>

Where did you get this info??? Did you call them or is it listed on their website somewhere?? >>

When you go to usmint.gov, go the "buy online" there's verbage on that page.

• Options

<< <i>I bet the dealers bought them in the thousands. >>

Hundreds, yes. Thousands, no. The order limit was 100. A person would require 11 credit cards with 11 different billing addresses to break a thousand.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options

<< <i>

Hundreds, yes. Thousands, no. The order limit was 100. A person would require 11 credit cards with 11 different billing addresses to break a thousand. >>

Wow, if that is the case why all of the sudden is a mediocre design so popular to be sold out 4 months before it even ships?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hundreds, yes. Thousands, no. The order limit was 100. A person would require 11 credit cards with 11 different billing addresses to break a thousand. >>

Wow, if that is the case why all of the sudden is a mediocre design so popular to be sold out 4 months before it even ships? >>

Ebay is the answer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wow, if that is the case why all of the sudden is a mediocre design so popular to be sold out 4 months before it even ships? >>

What do you consider to be mediocre about the design??
  • Options
    Hundreds, yes. Thousands, no. The order limit was 100. A person would require 11 credit cards with 11 different billing addresses to break a thousand.Text

The limit was 410. Only three credit cards were needed to break a thousand. My guess is that dealers or ebayers hold almost all these coins.
  • Options

<< <i>The limit was 410. Only three credit cards were needed to break a thousand. >>

That is incorrect. The order limit was 110. I personally called the mint to confirm this. The wording of the limit was strange, but the rep advised me that the limit was NOT 100 coins of each design and finish (uncir & proof), but was 100 coins TOTAL across all mintage options (plus 10 C&C sets).

<< <i>My guess is that dealers or ebayers hold almost all these coins. >>

Since this is a complete WAG with absolutely no evidence to support it, based entirely upon your own assumptions and speculations, it means little. No offense to you personally, but most people prefer a little evidence before making sweeping conclusions.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is that dealers or ebayers hold almost all these coins. >>

Since this is a complete WAG with absolutely no evidence to support it, based entirely upon your own assumptions and speculations, it means little. No offense to you personally, but most people prefer a little evidence before making sweeping conclusions. >>

This seems to be the norm on this forum as of late.
  • Options
    "Since this is a complete WAG with absolutely no evidence to support it, based entirely upon your own assumptions and speculations, it means little."

DDlink --I clearly said it was a guess. Doesn't that mean based on assumptions and speculations? If I had been profane and said it was a WAG, would you have understood that better? Was the word "guess" too subtle for you? Did I not only have to say WAG but _complete_ WAG like you said. Are you really that thick? When I post, I don't try to dumb things down for the uneducated and crass, so I recommend you don't read my posts so you don't become confused again. Ok sugar? (And what are you the Guess Police. People aren't allowed to make guesses on this board, now, under your edict? Are you a moderator?)

"No offense to you personally, but most people prefer a little evidence before making sweeping conclusions."

Can you cite a Zogby poll or some other "evidence" that even remotely suggests that _most_ people prefer evidence before making sweeping conclusions? In other words (and I'll spell this out for you so you get it), you just contradicted yourself by making a sweeping statement with no evidence to back it up. And how is your statement not meant to offend me... you're talking to me, no? Are you trying to set a record for the most contradictions in a single sentence? (And as a sidebar, do you live in a bubble that you think that most people don't make conclusions based on no evidence? Are you a bubble boy?)

And how about this little gem:

"Hundreds, yes. Thousands, no."

You're not saying this is a guess, or even the more conclusive "WAG", and certainly not the almighty "complete WAG." You are stating this as a fact. Yes, a fact. Is that something only you can do? Did you get a look at the Mint's billing records and cross-reference all possible multiple accounts? Are you psychic?

"The order limit was 100. A person would require 11 credit cards with 11 different billing addresses to break a thousand."

Psst, ddlink, I'm not even a dealer, and I could easily get 11 different accounts with 11 different billing addresses through relatives and friends in a matter of hours. But don't let anyone know.

"That is incorrect. The order limit was 110. I personally called the mint to confirm this. The wording of the limit was strange, but the rep advised me that the limit was NOT 100 coins of each design and finish (uncir & proof), but was 100 coins TOTAL across all mintage options (plus 10 C&C sets)."

And now the Mint phone reps are impeccable references. Talk about a complete WAG. This one needs its own category. How about super-duper complete WAG? I can only imagine (imagining is different from guessing ddlink, so try and follow along here) how the conversation between a Manpower-leased-5-bucks-an-hour Mint phone rep and a bubble boy went. There's no room for any misunderstanding there, right. We'll see what the limit is once the shipments start.

BTW, all this applies to you too Kesteeler, with your pompous little I agree with you sign and comment.

• Options
    Ouch!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Can you cite a Zogby poll or some other "evidence" that even remotely suggests that _most_ people prefer evidence before making sweeping conclusions? In other words (and I'll spell this out for you so you get it), you just contradicted yourself by making a sweeping statement with no evidence to back it up >>

Touche.

P.S. Take your blood pressure medicine and try not to have a stroke.
  • Options

<< <i>"Since this is a complete WAG with absolutely no evidence to support it, based entirely upon your own assumptions and speculations, it means little."

DDlink --I clearly said it was a guess. Doesn't that mean based on assumptions and speculations? If I had been profane and said it was a WAG, would you have understood that better? Was the word "guess" too subtle for you? Did I not only have to say WAG but _complete_ WAG like you said. Are you really that thick? When I post, I don't try to dumb things down for the uneducated and crass, so I recommend you don't read my posts so you don't become confused again. Ok sugar? (And what are you the Guess Police. People aren't allowed to make guesses on this board, now, under your edict? Are you a moderator?)

"No offense to you personally, but most people prefer a little evidence before making sweeping conclusions."

Can you cite a Zogby poll or some other "evidence" that even remotely suggests that _most_ people prefer evidence before making sweeping conclusions? In other words (and I'll spell this out for you so you get it), you just contradicted yourself by making a sweeping statement with no evidence to back it up. And how is your statement not meant to offend me... you're talking to me, no? Are you trying to set a record for the most contradictions in a single sentence? (And as a sidebar, do you live in a bubble that you think that most people don't make conclusions based on no evidence? Are you a bubble boy?)

And how about this little gem:

"Hundreds, yes. Thousands, no."

You're not saying this is a guess, or even the more conclusive "WAG", and certainly not the almighty "complete WAG." You are stating this as a fact. Yes, a fact. Is that something only you can do? Did you get a look at the Mint's billing records and cross-reference all possible multiple accounts? Are you psychic?

"The order limit was 100. A person would require 11 credit cards with 11 different billing addresses to break a thousand."

Psst, ddlink, I'm not even a dealer, and I could easily get 11 different accounts with 11 different billing addresses through relatives and friends in a matter of hours. But don't let anyone know.

"That is incorrect. The order limit was 110. I personally called the mint to confirm this. The wording of the limit was strange, but the rep advised me that the limit was NOT 100 coins of each design and finish (uncir & proof), but was 100 coins TOTAL across all mintage options (plus 10 C&C sets)."

And now the Mint phone reps are impeccable references. Talk about a complete WAG. This one needs its own category. How about super-duper complete WAG? I can only imagine (imagining is different from guessing ddlink, so try and follow along here) how the conversation between a Manpower-leased-5-bucks-an-hour Mint phone rep and a bubble boy went. There's no room for any misunderstanding there, right. We'll see what the limit is once the shipments start.

BTW, all this applies to you too Kesteeler, with your pompous little I agree with you sign and comment. >>

Another dummy hiding behind a keyboard!!!image
  • Options
    ddink,

Thanks for the reminder on the meds. And to tell you the truth, I was just messin with you a little there. No hard feelings on my part. I'm actually hoping you're right, that these coins aren't in weak hands, because I bought a bunch, too.

Now ksteelheader, you're a different story. One would think that someone with over 22,000 posts would have a better comeback than that.
  • Options

<< <i>ddink,

Thanks for the reminder on the meds. And to tell you the truth, I was just messin with you a little there. No hard feelings on my part. I'm actually hoping you're right, that these coins aren't in weak hands, because I bought a bunch, too.

Now ksteelheader, you're a different story. One would think that someone with over 22,000 posts would have a better comeback than that. >>

And someone with 26 posts and a hidden profile is generally considered a troll!image
  • Options
    So you consider any newbie a troll. That's good to know. The fact is, someone took a shot at me for what I perceived to be no good reason, and you took his back, so I responded in kind. That's all. And I subsequently told him I have no hard feelings because he seems like a decent guy. Again, the jury's still out on you, although I think the use of the smilely face was a good start.

• Options

<< <i>And to tell you the truth, I was just messin with you a little there. No hard feelings on my part. >>

Okay, good! You are right about the Mint reps normally being clueless. However, presumably they were trained as to how many coins they could accept an order for. Naturally, you are right about the credit card thing too--unfortunately, my mom was the only person I could convince to put $4,000 worth of coins on her credit card!

<< <i>I'm actually hoping you're right, that these coins aren't in weak hands, because I bought a bunch, too. >>

Ditto that!
  • Options
    I just called the mint and the rep I talked to talked to her supervisor and neither one knew how the limit was determined and that that information was deleted from their system???? I then asked about how coins would be shipped if order went over limit(my order was for 30 of each=120) and she said she had no idea but they would determine that when they were ready to ship. Does anyone have any credible idea on how the limit was set.. as 100 of each type(400 total) or 100 total(25 of each). Also any idea how the mint usually ships if over limit... (IE.. would they send 30 of each of the 1st three ordered and 10 of last or would they break down to 25 each??) It shouldn't be this difficult to get a solid answer!!! Anybody have some better info??
  • Options

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, how long before the ebay value of these start going down?
    I imagine the "pre-sales" are going high but will go down as people get them in hand.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone have any credible idea on how the limit was set.. >>

I believe you mean "anyone else." image
  • Options
    I bet they process the orders by the date the order was received. If you ordered very late, you may not get yours or all of yours.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    wow-these coins turned out to be major losers .........any guesses why ?
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    obverse designs were terrible....
  • Options

<< <i>wow-these coins turned out to be major losers .........any guesses why ? >>

So, so design, not enough demand i.e. too many on the market, they all look the same, just bullion etc...

it's tough for a modern commem to demand a premium these days especially with the price of silver so high.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I started this thread 2 years ago !!! March 2006. Time flies.

I think I'll have a image to celebrate the fact that one of my threads is still going after two years, and that I'm still here to see it. image

Can't beat that.

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ....Well , there was so much hype when they first came out - and alot of people were climbing over each other to get as many of them as they could .

and then the price's began to fall , and kept falling until now , you have virtually nobody that wants them .

Bottom line : the coin was a horrible failure
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin had 4 designs to choose from. IMHO, ONLY the "mind your business" redo was worth having.
    Mintages way too large, esp given the fact there were 4 designs.
    Too many ways to get them.

I still like the one design but not the "young franklin"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file