Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

FB Variety recognition

The title should really probably add the phrase "lack of ...".
While scanning through the registry for FB, really only the 48 leaf color variations and the 57 Sherman no name are the only recognized varieties. I believe some of the 69 checklists and maybe a Namath RC butterfly are noted but not yet in the registry. Other than that, I belive there is squat. When I look done the BB lists, almost every major set has a basic and a master set. This appears to be a discrepancy.
Now I know that FB had shorter print runs done over a smaller time frame and just don't have the same number of small corrected errors and variations, but the ones that are there are not attributed. I understand that doing this at this time would cost PSA money with the reholdering of potentially a lot of cards. I don't expect them to do it unless we as a group can show them that it would be good for business. The 60's varieties that I know For sure that I would collect Master sets of would be, 63 Fleer back stripe/ no stripe, 63 Topps background color, and (God ... please don't let Couldabeena read this) but 63 Stancraft different backs.
I know that I am missing other variations in other sets, so which other variations do you/ would you collect if attributed and would you collect any of these master sets?
Fuzz
Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.

Comments

• Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I would register the 1963 Topps color variations and 1963 Fleer stripe/no stripes. Other minor variations I'm aware of:

1969 Topps Jim Turner red/yellow dot:

imageimage

1969 Topps 4-in-1 label colors:

imageimage

1970 Topps red/black text:

imageimage

• Options
    fuzz the 67 topps comic pennants is a huge differance 1 is a sticker the other a card but are listed together
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I think part of the problem is a lack of knowledge about the existence of variations in football sets. I just recently learned about the '63 Topps color variations.

I also just recently learned about back variations in the 1935 National Chicle Football set. Notice the placement of the Eddie Casey signature, right or center.

• Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i> and (God ... please don't let Couldabeena read this) but 63 Stancraft different backs. >>

imageimage

The '48 Leafs variations were just added to the set registry a few months ago. I think I remember getting an e-mail and voting on it before it was done, so I'd imagine that one of the guys was requesting it. I bet if you send PSA a spreadsheet of the variations, and request a Master set to be added ... they'd do it.

I agree (of course) that the '63 Stancrafts should be two different sets. As a matter of fact, there's supposed to be a 3rd pinochle set that was printed too (although I still haven't seen one). The other problem with the Stancraft set, is that they left out the 2nd joker (which is also a different card) making it only a 51 card set.

Also, if I can ever talk PSA into grading the 48-52 Exhibits again, I'd like to see them listed on the set registry with all of their tint variations included.

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    I wrote to Joe O. on the topic of recognizing the 63 Fleer stripe/no stripe variations which they do not do at this time. I figured it would be easier to ask for the recognition and then the Master set. However, Joe wrote back and said that it is not a variation they attribute at this time. Kind of slows down the Master set idea.
    Will obviously take several requests to start this process and at least from the response to this thread, it doesn't appear to be there yet.
    Fuzz
    PS. Thanks everyone for the info on some of the other varieties out there.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.