Home Sports Talk
Options

Joe Mauer and Mark Prior.....

I remember how every Cub fan was soo happy that the Twins played it cheap and passed on Mark Prior, allowing the Cubs to get him, and then took Mauer. I was one of the happy ones. Then when Prior showed how good he was in his first year, most must have thought that the Twins had to be really kicking themselves for being cheap.

Wow, how the future looks so different now! Prior is still darn good, but it is looking like he is a porclain doll. I don't know if he realizes that every pitcher experiences some sort of pain or tenderness in their arm and still pitch, yet he sits every time a mosquito lands on him.

As for Mauer, boy is he impressive! Not only will he be one of the absolute best defensive catchers, but he will be the best offensive catcher within three years as well, maybe even this coming season! This guy has a clue at the plate! Through his first 596 AB's, he has a very nice .371 OB%. Folks, ICHIRO's OB% is .377. He will eclipse Ichiro's career OB% four years from now, and will have done it while being the best defensive catcher...talk about the true value of a baseball player.

Add a .440 SLG% for a nice 114 OPS+, and watch out! When measured correctly, this man simply has the looks of being the best player in baseball when he hits his prime. The only impediment would be if he never develops the power that I feel will come.

Funny, Mauer was the guy who got hurt right away too, and everyone figured, "How really stupid were the Twins now!"

Minnesota, once Francisco Liriano replaces Kyle Loshe in the rotation, can be a serious threat to the White Sox. They made a very quiet pick up of Luis castillo, as they get a guy who actually gets on base to bat on the top of the lineup...opposite of the Cubs who prefer Neifi Perez and a .286 OB% to be a top of hte order hitter...SICKENING! That is why I tell you that baseball people are often stupid, and it is proven time and time again.

The problem for the White Sox most likely will be reality slapping the face of some of their pitchers. I would expect a drop in their team ERA for sure. The problem for the Twins may be Tony Batista, THE OUT MACHINE!! Even when he hits 30 home runs he is still a below average offensive player. Funny how the Twins recognize Castilla's value, but negate that value with the addition of Batista to the lineup.

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I agree that Twins fans should be happy they ended up with Mauer instead of Prior but do you really expect Mauer to remain behind the plate? He's not as brittle as Prior, but hasn't he already had some health issues? Still, I expect his real value to be with the bat.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about players not to pick in a fantasy baseball draft because they are always injured and on the DL.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skinny, you are the bomb!

I have been saying since day one that Mauer was the better pick, and I got blasted. The list of cant miss pitchers is too long to get into . When you add the salary demands that were rumored to go with Prior, I knew Pohlad would not go for it anyway.

Your statistical analysis proves what I have been observing since Mauer has been with the club. I watch every televised game and get to a few games at the Horrible Dome. Joe has very few bad at bats. Even when he makes outs, a lot of them are well hit balls. He is especially advanced in the area of driving the ball to left field. Many players flare the ball the other way, Mauer takes the pitch on the outside part of the plate and hammers it. I don't know that he will ever hit a lot of home runs, and I for one don't care. He was hands down the best hitter on the Twins last year. His knee injury seems to be fully healed.

This guy is going to be an All-Star for years. An added bonus is he also has class, unlike so many of the hot-shot sports stars of today.

Castilla was a brilliant pick up solving the second base position that was the biggest hole in our lineup last year, Batista doesn't excite me either, as I have heard he is a defensive liability. He should provide some punch though, and may offer some protection for the other batters in the lineup and take a little pressure off of Morneau. If big Justin can develope a better approach at the plate, watch out, he can crush the ball.

Liriano has some serious heat, but his fastball seems a little straight at times and his change-up is very good.

Don't forget Jason Kubel, if he can recover from his devestating knee injury he has the potential to be a great hitter.

A lot of potential on this team, if things come together, they will contend for the division and with a dominant pitcher like Santana, there is no telling how far they can go in a short series.

JoeBanzai

WIN TWINS!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    He has already had 2 serious knee injuries, they need to get "Baby Jesus" as we call him, off home plate...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    As for Mauer, boy is he impressive! Not only will he be one of the absolute best defensive catchers, but he will be the best offensive catcher within three years as well, maybe even this coming season! . >>

Not to rain on the Mauer parade but watch out for that boys knees. It is not a good thing to have bad knee problems as a CATCHER at his age.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prior might tuffen up a bit as he gets older, if he stays healthy I would much rather have him.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    As for Mauer, boy is he impressive! Not only will he be one of the absolute best defensive catchers, but he will be the best offensive catcher within three years as well, maybe even this coming season! . >>

Not to rain on the Mauer parade but watch out for that boys knees. It is not a good thing to have bad knee problems as a CATCHER at his age. >>

Of course you're going to rain on the parade, someone not wearing pinstripes is getting praise!

Now if he was a yankee, you'd be singing his praises and saying 'his knees aren't that bad'.

Hypocrite.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not to rain on the Mauer parade but watch out for that boys knees. It is not a good thing to have bad knee problems as a CATCHER at his age. >>

Of course you're going to rain on the parade, someone not wearing pinstripes is getting praise!

Now if he was a yankee, you'd be singing his praises and saying 'his knees aren't that bad'.

Hypocrite. >>

Nice job hyjacking another thread Axtell. Your pre-occupation with what I say is obvious. As a matter of fact, this was brought up before I posted.

By the way dip$hit, if Joe Mauer was a Yankee I would say "Not to rain on the Mauer parade but watch out for that boys knees. It is not a good thing to have bad knee problems as a CATCHER at his age."

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    if Joe Mauer was a Mariner axhole would already be calling him a HOF'er like his buddy Felix.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Maurer's knee injury was a freak accident. He's already back in top-form and Rod Carew is working with him on his power, with good results. Look for him to be the best at his position in the AL for the next 8 years.

You also have to understand that Maurer being selected #1 overall was the best PR move for them to make given the stadium situation. It will turn out over time to be the better decision.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Joe Mauer is going to be a hitting machine .300+ BA .
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Of course you're going to rain on the parade, someone not wearing pinstripes is getting praise! >>

Hey moron - what are those lines on his uni?

The World of Baseball According to Axtell
    "Maybe they'll move him to shortstop, then he can back up himself at the plate!!!" image

• Options

<< <i>Joe Mauer is going to be a hitting machine .300+ BA . >>

absolutley, the kid is a natural at the plate. I would bet he is a catcher for half of his career. Bad knees are bad knees.