Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Scanner Question

I know this isn't the proper forum for this sort of thing, but I also know the most brilliant people in the world hang out here (or at least those with more computer knowledge than I), so I'm hoping I can solve this issue without searching some techno site.

Each time I try to launch my scanner I get a message saying there is "insufficient memory" to run it and that I need to close some programs. There IS plenty of memory and I'm not running any other programs (although I was when I first got the message). Any ideas on how to override the message and get to scannin' ?

Comments

• Options
    Have you re-booted your system?
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did that right away but nothing changed.
  • Options
    What is the scanner brand?

What Operating System are you running?

Possibility - you may have too many applications running at once. Press CTL+Alt+Del and see what is listed in the "close program" dialog box. You shouldn't have more than 6-7 applications running that your system needs.

Possibility - your scan size is too big, or your "resolution" of the scan is too high.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Windows XP..Microtek...no other programs are running. Scanning only a card...
  • Options
    Do you have the latest driver/software for the scanner? If not, I would try to find the driver/sw on the microtek website and see if that fixes it.

Also what program are you using to scan the item? I'm guessing that when you say "I try to launch my scanner", you are meaning that you press the scan button on the scanner? You might want to see if the scanner included software where you go thru the software, set your scanner settings, and click on the software scan button to initiate the scan.

Hope I didn't confuse you more than help u!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    Here's a customer service linky

Microtek customer service linky
  • Options
    I just upgraded my old dinosaur to a top of the line system. I had a Microtek scanner I tried to install and scan items, but it simply was not compatible. Not sure why, but I simply couldn't scan with the software (that came with the scanner) on my new system. So now I'm in the market for a new scanner. I know this doesn't help you with your scanner, but maybe it helps with your frustrations.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I used to get that message a lot on my old computer. It had tons of memory and it kept telling me there wasn't enough available memory. I assumed that either the memory was bad or I had some kind of virus but I'm not good enough with computers to know. Anyways, with the price of repairs, I just tossed it in the trash and bought a new one. I didn't want to dump a few hundred dollars in a dinosaur when I bought this laptop I am typing on now for $700. It's works much more efficiently.