Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Searching Memorial Lincoln bags

I have 35 different Lincoln Memorial sealed bags and want to start searching them for high grades. How do those of you who search bags go about it? There has got to be a better way than to just dump them out on a cloth on a table. Or maybe not. Do you use a loupe on most coins, or just eyeball. On another note, how popular do you think Memorials will be in 2008, when the series will probaly end? (as it is now) Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make you appointment with Barry (the ophthamologist) now image
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Just take a cupful at a time, that way you can take a break or not and still feel you got somewhere. Obviously don't scoop them out with your hand. Use a 5x or 7x to get a cursory look, 10x if you suspect a doubled die or rpm.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a low power glass with a wide field to look for anything worthy of a closer look.

Check to see which varieties are known for the date before you start looking. Try to
    identify each die pair early so you will spot any unknown varities and it will make look-
    ing for gems much faster.

Dump the coins carefully and slide checked coins toward the right. Keepers should be
    kept out of the way. Wash your hands well and often or wear rubber gloves. There
    can be slightly different techniques dependent on date or the number of keepers. If
    your checking a 1974 bag with no nice runs and no varieties you'll be able to cut a lot
    of corners compared to say a nice '86 bag. Later date coins should be checked much
    more carefully for since the chances of unreported varieties is much higher. It's probably
    never worth the time to check every coin carefully since if there's one of something there
    will be more and you can always go back and recheck. It's the same with gems; the pri-
    mary goal is to get the best coin and most of the runner-ups so don't get hung up on
    trying to decide if one is worth keeping. If you can't decide then pass it.

A bag can take as little as about twenty minutes and has never taken me longer than
    about five hours. This may be a little sloppy but you won't really miss much doing it this
    way. I always try to save a nice coin from each die pair even when they're awful. It's
    partially as a "record" of the bag but also serves as a sort of low cost souvenir.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use one of these works great-- (mine is an older model but these work great for checking lots of coins at once...have a loupe ready just in case you see something that needs closer observation.. Bob

Text
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine is the no light kind but you get the idea---have a good light and you can zip through a bag of cents in no time
  • Options
    Do a thread search. Charles from copper cooins can help also. Check his web sight, coppercoins.com
    How much for that one
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the help. Now, I think I have a direction. Any other direction. Steve
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    <<A bag can take as little as about twenty minutes>>

Are you talking about the bags with 5000 cents? Four coins per second?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i><<A bag can take as little as about twenty minutes>>

Are you talking about the bags with 5000 cents? Four coins per second? >>

Cent bags are rarely so bad you can go through this fast but clad quarter bags were often this bad.
    Most of the coins in a bag will be the output of only eight or ten die pairs over a short period of their
    life. There will be a few stragglers and oddballs but if all the main dies represented are awful then
    all you have to do is is move them out of the way to see if there's anything underneath. When they're
    like this I'll usually just knock them off the table into a box.

It's possible to miss something doing it this quickly but the odds are you won't miss anything very im-
    portant. And you certainly won't miss anything that is there in quantity.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ...And the time you save can be used to check better bags.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ttt one more time
  • Options

Let's hear some other methods...

I have a couple fresh bags of '05 Ocean nickels to search through.
    Haven't searched mint bags before.

Thanks!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is good in looking at bags of Lincoln. Just ask these new Lincoln collectors. imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Searching LMs has got to be like watching paint dry. But if it works for you, have fun with it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file