Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Was going thru some '61 Topps Baseball and noticed...

some odd stuff.

I went through possibly a couple hundred cards and every so often I'd run across one that looked almost like a dull satin finish. On most I had another that looked normal.

what is up with that? common that year?

also.....noticed that quite a few of them don't have nice sharply cut edges on them. Is that common for that year? I am talking of the longer edge or sides, not top and bottom for the most part.

does PSA smack a card for this? they came like that new.

Comments

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>some odd stuff.

I went through possibly a couple hundred cards and every so often I'd run across one that looked almost like a dull satin finish. On most I had another that looked normal.

what is up with that? common that year?

also.....noticed that quite a few of them don't have nice sharply cut edges on them. Is that common for that year? I am talking of the longer edge or sides, not top and bottom for the most part.

does PSA smack a card for this? they came like that new. >>

PSA typically does not down grade on roug cuts like that. The dullness that you say I am unfamiliar with that issue, but on other years I think there has been some of that too. PSA will come down on that if it is out of focus or poorly registered.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • I believe the dullness of the finish is simply an inconsistancy in the varnish on the cardstock, probably from different batches, and probably not something Topps was particularly concerned with. I've seen similar things on 1956 Topps football.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    A rough cut card typically does not adversely effect a grade; as a matter of fact, it may enhance it, because it lends legitimacy to the card. PSA knows many '61 cards were issued with rough cut borders.
    I've handled literally thousands and thousands of '61 cards - I am not familiar with the "dull satin finish" you refer to. I actually cannot conjure in my mind an image of what you're talking about. Can you be more specific?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Morrellman....

it's almost like a total different card in appearance. It has no gloss to it at all and the colors look subdued!

I'll try and remember to post a scan of 2 of the same card...one normal and one dull....tomorrow.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a number of older Topps cards where the "gloss" coat seemed not to have been applied - making the colors seem dull, and the card feel a little different - happened most frequently with 1962's. May have just missed a step at the factory. Conversely, now and then you come across an incredibly glossy card - perhaps the opposite - two coats of factory gloss?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, different types of gloss including the "dull satin finish" is not uncommon at all for 1961. Let's face it - these were basically inexpensive items issued for kids - not intended to be worth thousands of dollars years later. I'd be sure that if Topps found various "deals" throughout the year on saving money on cheaper cardstock, or if the glossy cardboard wasn't in stock at the paper merchant, then Topps simply settled on the dull satin finish to continue some print runs. Could have been other things as well but in any event the different finishes generally don't affect the card values.
  • Goose:

What MorrellMan said....

The rough cut will not be penalized at all by PSA. I have several 9s of that year which have rough edges.

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings