Home Sports Talk
Options

Cowboys sign vanderjagt!!

kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
well im thinking we might make a run at the superbowl now. solid kicker compared to last year! I cant weait for the draft now!

linky

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Well he hasn't exactly been clutch in big game pressure, but a huge upgrade for you guys.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    His choke in the championship game right after he pointed over to the Steelers sideline was hilarious.

but he is a damn good kicker.

• Options
    Huge pickup !!

If we had Vandy last year we make the playoffs

• Options
    The Cowboys will be an interesting bunch to watch next year. Lots of fun for Parcells!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Parcells and the rest of the Cowboy generals will play freaking mind games with him and release him and sign him several times during the season like they did with their kicker last season.

• Options
    I wonder if Parcells and the rest of the Cowboy generals will play freaking mind games with him and release him and sign him several times during the season like they did with their kicker last season.

Uhhhhhh doubt it
  • Options

Which reminds me, speaking of kickers, you guys are tons under the cap but still couldn't muster up enough dough to keep one of the main reasons why you even have S.B rings
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Which reminds me, speaking of kickers, you guys are tons under the cap but still couldn't muster up enough dough to keep one of the main reasons why you even have S.B rings >>

Good point. And why does it seem the Boston/New Englander takes more offense to a player leaving for somewhere else? This happens EVERYWHERE EVERY year. Is it the long, dark, and cold winters? image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Which reminds me, speaking of kickers, you guys are tons under the cap but still couldn't muster up enough dough to keep one of the main reasons why you even have S.B rings >>

Good point. And why does it seem the Boston/New Englander takes more offense to a player leaving for somewhere else? This happens EVERYWHERE EVERY year. Is it the long, dark, and cold winters? image >>

Why did they not re-sign him?

Does anyone want to question Belicheck or the ownership? Unlike the Eagles, the Patriots have been successful by keeping those players who are irreplaceable (Brady), and signing cheaper, younger, better versions of the vets they let go.

Vinateri will be 33, and wanted 3+ million per year. I can definitely understand the hesitation is ponying up that much cash for a kicker that age.
  • Options
    Vandy has had a couple of memorable chokes, but he's also had some huge makes. Anybody remember the TWO fifty+ yarders he kicked against Denver in the snow a couple years ago? One to tie the game and the next one to win it in overtime. Amazing kicks.

That said, he won't be missed in Indy. Especially after the Colts replaced him with Vinatieri.
  • Options

<< <i>Vinateri will be 33, and wanted 3+ million per year. I can definitely understand the hesitation is ponying up that much cash for a kicker that age. >>

Reports are the Colts signed him for 2.5 per year. Also Vanderjagt is 37, so Vinatieri being 33 doesn't seem like such a big deal.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Can you imagine the Cowboys locker room with Vanderjerk and T.O. together? What a nightmare that's going to be...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Vinateri will be 33, and wanted 3+ million per year. I can definitely understand the hesitation is ponying up that much cash for a kicker that age. >>

Reports are the Colts signed him for 2.5 per year. Also Vanderjagt is 37, so Vinatieri being 33 doesn't seem like such a big deal. >>

Not a big deal for the Colts, but for the Pats it was.

• Options

<< <i>Can you imagine the Cowboys locker room with Vanderjerk and T.O. together? What a nightmare that's going to be... >>

I don't think Vanderjagt is anywhere near the disruption TO was. Vandy said a few things that honestly, a lot of Colts fans were thinking at the time. And he said them on some Canadian program that he probably didn't think anyone waswatching. I don't think he would have said the same thing on ESPN. Sure, he's cocky, but most good kickers are.

TO on the other hand...
  • Options

• Options
    Hey Petescorner.
    He said those things after having a few drinks on our television network called "The Score" which, at that time in the evening, has hundreds of thousands of viewers (we have 3 sports networks here, "The Score" is demolishing the other 2 in ratings). He wanted to say those things to get the team going and yes, he was absolutely right about what he said. Even after saying it though, Manning choked much more than he did against Pit, ya he got them close at the end, but what a brutal game up until then. If Manning simply has a typical Manning game, Colts win easily and Van is still part of that team a year later with a Superbowl ring.
    Jay
  • Options
    Vinateri will be 33, and wanted 3+ million per year. I can definitely understand the hesitation is ponying up that much cash for a kicker that age

33 for a kicker is not old lol

If he was lining up somewhere in a 3-4 defense maybe but he's a kicker

Kickers have known to kick succcsesfully into their 40's

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Petescorner.
    He said those things after having a few drinks on our television network called "The Score" which, at that time in the evening, has hundreds of thousands of viewers (we have 3 sports networks here, "The Score" is demolishing the other 2 in ratings). He wanted to say those things to get the team going and yes, he was absolutely right about what he said. Even after saying it though, Manning choked much more than he did against Pit, ya he got them close at the end, but what a brutal game up until then. If Manning simply has a typical Manning game, Colts win easily and Van is still part of that team a year later with a Superbowl ring.
    Jay >>

How can you say Manning choked? The offensive line play was horrible that game (they actually played poorly the last 3 weeks of the regular season, too.) Pittsburgh was in the Indy backfield at the snap of the ball almost the entire game sacking Manning 5 times. Still he threw for almost 300 yards. Vanderjagt comes in and doesn't just miss, but misses wide by 50 feet! That was the worst miss I have seen since he missed in the Miami playoff game by about the same distance (I was at that game seated in the same endzone he was kicking towards.)

But back to the original point about Vandy being "disruptive," I don't see that as being the case. Like I said earlier, there were a lot of Colt fans thinking the same thing at the time he made those comments on "Score." And other than that, he hasn't said or done anything disruptive to the Colts, and I'm sure he won't in Dallas, either. He'll probably play real well for the Cowboys, as long as he doesn't have to win a playoff game with a FG. image
  • Options

<< <i>Vinateri will be 33, and wanted 3+ million per year. I can definitely understand the hesitation is ponying up that much cash for a kicker that age

33 for a kicker is not old lol >>

How many kickers his age are making upwards of 3 million a year?

<< <i>How can you say Manning choked? The offensive line play was horrible that game (they actually played poorly the last 3 weeks of the regular season, too.) Pittsburgh was in the Indy backfield at the snap of the ball almost the entire game sacking Manning 5 times. Still he threw for almost 300 yards. Vanderjagt comes in and doesn't just miss, but misses wide by 50 feet! That was the worst miss I have seen since he missed in the Miami playoff game by about the same distance (I was at that game seated in the same endzone he was kicking towards.) >>

Uhm, did you see his stats in the first half? Horrific. And if Manning sees that the Pittsburgh defense is in the backfield as soon as the ball's snapped, it's HIS responsibility to make play changes....he takes all the credit for making reads at the line, for being his own offensive coordinator, he has to take the blame when he can't make adjustments. So what if Vandy missed a FG? The blame for the game being put on that one kick is solely on Manning, who choked (AGAIN) in big game situations. It's been his MO his entire college and pro career.
  • Options
    How many kickers his age are making upwards of 3 million a year?

How many kickers deserve to make upwards of 3 million a year, regardless of age ?

If any kicker does deserve it, it's him

Dave
  • Options
    My point is I understand the Pats reasoning for letting him go. Who knew Vinateri before he was kicking for Patriots? The pats will go get themselves a kicker in his 20s, save millions in cap room, and continue to dominate.

• Options

<< <i>Uhm, did you see his stats in the first half? Horrific. And if Manning sees that the Pittsburgh defense is in the backfield as soon as the ball's snapped, it's HIS responsibility to make play changes....he takes all the credit for making reads at the line, for being his own offensive coordinator, he has to take the blame when he can't make adjustments. So what if Vandy missed a FG? The blame for the game being put on that one kick is solely on Manning, who choked (AGAIN) in big game situations. It's been his MO his entire college and pro career. >>

Of course I saw his stats in the first half. There isn't a quartrback in the league who would have had decent numbers with that kind of protection. Changes were made and the offense ran better in the second half. I hate to say this, Axtell because I generally agree with your posts, but anybody who seriously thinks Manning is a choker is football-ignorant.

As far as Vandy is concerned, the fact that he missed isn't necessarily a sign of choking, but missing by 50 feet (twice) on a good snap and hold is.
  • Options
    Ax,

Perhaps your right but i will never forget that kick against Oakland in the snow to send them to the S.B. That was no chip shot either.

Clutch kickers like him are not easy to get a hold of, and when you do you usually hold onto them

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>
    Of course I saw his stats in the first half. There isn't a quartrback in the league who would have had decent numbers with that kind of protection. Changes were made and the offense ran better in the second half. I hate to say this, Axtell because I generally agree with your posts, but anybody who seriously thinks Manning is a choker is football-ignorant.

As far as Vandy is concerned, the fact that he missed isn't necessarily a sign of choking, but missing by 50 feet (twice) on a good snap and hold is. >>

He's not a choker? Could you please show me where's he come through in a big spot? Even when they were the overwhelming favorites (at Pittsburgh), he still couldn't get it done, after their excuse had been that they had to play outdoors against New England so many times. They had indoor stadiums (including the super bowl) and he still couldn't seal the deal.

He's a great QB, no question, but I have to question his determination and ability to close big games. Thus far, he's not been able to do it.

As far as the changes go, if protection was breaking down so badly, why wasn't he making changes at the line to get around it? Quick dumps to Edge, screens, all that would have slowed down the pass rush. Instead, it takes them over a half to make any adjustments.

• Options
    Axtell just hit the nail on the head--how can you not be labeled a choker with the team you had (not just this year, how about the previous few seasons as well)? Don't get me wrong, I was cheering for the Colts (and I'm a 9ers fan), but his play was disgusting in a game where he was FINALLY going to get the monkey off his back. Yes, Vanderjagt missed the kick, yes, by a wide margin, but it never should have come down to that--this was supposed to be the Colts year, and in my opinion, they should have beat Pittsburgh (and no disrespect is meant to the Steelers fans on this board).
    I sit here and type this knowing damn well that next year, if the Colts are able to put their running game back together and make a run again like they did this past season, that we can all await Manning's excuse speech that's he's probably writing right now! And then to come out publicly and trash your offensive line--YA, we know they stunk Manning, but you're the guy calling the plays, you're the guy in charge, FIX IT--stop blaming everyone else. I can also tell you this--because of the teams the Colts have been able to build around Manning he will be regarded (if he retires with no superbowls) as possibly the BIGGEST CHOKER OF ALL TIME. It's true that such greats as Marino could never get the job done, but Marino NEVER had a team like the Colts did last year. I expect them to be better, Manning better step up to the plate or I don't know if he'll be able to live it down.
    Jay