Home Sports Talk

Jeff Bagwell and Steroids

Watching Cold Pizza today on ESPN, Woody Paige and Skip Bayliss were discussing the Bonds Balco book that hit the stores today. One thing Woody mentioned was Bagwell admitting to using steroids. This was the first I heard about Bagwell being connected to steroid use. When did he admit it???
Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)

Comments

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Never heard of that one. I hope he wasn't just throwing that comment out there for the sake of discussion with nothing to support it. That's normally how a lot of these idiotic blog rumors get spread.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi are highlighted in this new book. I can't stand Sheffield, I hope he does what he says when he flips his trap and freaking retires already. That way he can bring coke to Uncle Doc everyday in jail. Giambi I like better as a person but he is a cheat too. Can't wait till they are both gone from the Yankees.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>I know Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi are highlighted in this new book. I can't stand Sheffield, I hope he does what he says when he flips his trap and freaking retires already. That way he can bring coke to Uncle Doc everyday in jail. Giambi I like better as a person but he is a cheat too. Can't wait till they are both gone from the Yankees. >>

I agree image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Watching Cold Pizza today on ESPN, Woody Paige and Skip Bayliss were discussing the Bonds Balco book that hit the stores today. One thing Woody mentioned was Bagwell admitting to using steroids. This was the first I heard about Bagwell being connected to steroid use. When did he admit it??? >>

Bags has never admitting to taking steroids. When he went onto the DL last year, there was some discussion about it..... Been listening to the local AM sports show this afternoon and has not been mentioned once.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • That's what I thought. Paige mentioned Sheffield as being a teflon type player that always gets past any bad press. He then bunched Bonds, McGwire, Sosa and Palmeiro in a group that were looking really bad and then mentioned Bagwell as admitting steroids, which I haven't seen ANY news on Bagwell, other than newgroup rumors and innuendos. I'm wondering if Paige got Bagwell and Giambi (who he never mentioned in the topic) mixed up.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to hijack here, but we all need to realize that probably 60 % of MLB players have juiced at one time or another. Bagwell and other great players are probably on the same playing field as the rest of the 60 % of players who stuck a needle in themselves as well, the difference and my point is that its to bad that the GREAT players get put in the spotlight instead of just thrown into the mix of general steroid abuse in the league.

I have always said that Steroids do not MAKE you a great ballplayer, lets try to remember that.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to hijack here, but we all need to realize that probably 60 % of MLB players have juiced at one time or another. Bagwell and other great players are probably on the same playing field as the rest of the 60 % of players who stuck a needle in themselves as well, the difference and my point is that its to bad that the GREAT players get put in the spotlight instead of just thrown into the mix of general steroid abuse in the league.

I have always said that Steroids do not MAKE you a great ballplayer, lets try to remember that. >>

Perk, its the GREAT players that have become ICONS because of this who threaten the integrity of all time records. Thus, it is imperative to single them out. The mid range guys who abused will FORTUNATELY never be remembered and thank goodness for that. Take Brady Anderson for example. No doubt he juiced, but, who cares about his one and only 50 homer season which sticks out like a sore thumb .... and Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, etc. These guys who would be stars off the juice have elevated themselves to a bit more. BUT, they don'tthreaten real records and hopefully they will be forgotten. It is the Sammy Sosa's, the Mark McGuires, Barry Bonds, Raffy Palmeiro, etc that need to be PLASTERED to send a real message to the regular "star" that this crap won't be tolerated.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He did have quite a jump in power numbers "all of a sudden". I remember when he was traded for Andersen the thought was that Boggs was the 3B of the present and Scott Cooper the 3B of the future. Bagwell wasn't even on the radar. Then "BOOM" - maybe he just filled out naturally - but as others have said, most of the league was likely using - the difference is what drug and how many cycles. Count me among those who always was dubious of Bags. Had he displayed even a remote whiff of his MLB power in the Red Sox minor league system he would not have been traded so quickly.

Bagwell stats
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Bagwell is also a guy who became skinny in the last couple of years, and with it a lame excuse as to why he was skinnier.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I have a couple coworkers who played some minor league ball, and the steroid problem is much more rampant than anyone will ever admit.

They had coaches, managers, trainers, everyone telling them if they want to play in the bigs, they have to juice to keep up. They tried it, got big very fast, and both ended up with career ending injuries (one a knee, one a shoulder).

As far as the topic goes, Woody Paige is a loudmouth who needs to have his head caved in, he's so damned annoying he talks just to hear himself talk and loves any (bad or good) reaction he gets.

Bagwell I hadn't heard any admission of steroid use.

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I noticed when Bagwell batted a few times in the playoffs that he was visibly lighter and what I would call SICKLY looking.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he got Bagwell and Caminiti confused? I think Caminiti admitted to steroids.
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    No reason to believe Bagwell does steriods. Solid.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have been a big Bagwell fan and noticed about the time that just prior to the steroid news started to hit, he had become smaller. He use to have some big forearms and noticed that he had shed what appeard to be around 20-30 lbs in size to me. Definetly not as big as he was.

Stingray
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine used to be a pro sports agent. He was telling me back in 98-99 about the MASSIVE amount of steroids that were in Baseball. At the time, I didn't think of it as a big problem but because of stories nowadays, I can see he knew what he was talking about. He told me stories of guys coming back in the spring that were twice their normal size. He said everybody around them "knew" what happened but nobody said a word. Baseball is getting what it deserves. I think your going to see a lot of guys retiring soon so as not to embarrass themselves.
  • I love Bags and think he is a great face on an otherwise crappy franchise. He always has a smile on his face, plays hurt, and still doesn't complain.

And to top it off, he is honest. Just look at his responses when they ask him about steroid use in MLB.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

<< <i>I love Bags and think he is a great face on an otherwise crappy franchise. >>

Uh yeah... Crappy franchise? Brand new ballpark with an all-star game, 6 playoff appearances in the last 8 years (including 2 NLCS and 1 WS in last 2), record attendance. How are your "loveable loooooosers" doing, huh?

In regards to Bags, I have yet to see ANY source claim he was on the juice.

Got link?

Didn't think so... Perhaps the National Enquirer has some info from a friend of a friend of a friend of Bagwell's.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• << <i>

<< <i>I love Bags and think he is a great face on an otherwise crappy franchise. >>

Uh yeah... Crappy franchise? Brand new ballpark with an all-star game, 6 playoff appearances in the last 8 years (including 2 NLCS and 1 WS in last 2), record attendance. How are your "loveable loooooosers" doing, huh?

All your stats are true, no doubt about it. However, at the end of the day, the juice box is beautiful but an excuse of a ballpark to hit cheap homers and disgrace the history of MLB. And it is all in Houston, down in that country known as Texas - the only place where they will sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" during the 7th inning stretch while the rest of MLB plays “God Bless America”. And the only place where its star 1B takes great pride in being called “Fat Elvis”.

And if you read my posts here, you will know that I complain about the Cubs and those Wrigley fans that support them. I expect the team to be mediocre at best this year and finish behind St. Louis and Houston. But then again, I'm a true Cubs fan with a brain because I didn't go to Wrigley to "get like so totally wasted." I hope my expectations are wrong, but I’ve been let down so many times in the past.

In regards to Bags, I have yet to see ANY source claim he was on the juice.

Got link?

Didn't think so... Perhaps the National Enquirer has some info from a friend of a friend of a friend of Bagwell's.
    >>

Go back and read my post. Did I ever say anything about him using steroids? All I said was that he was honest. Research it and you will see. When asked about steroids, Bagwell always says, "Hey, if pitchers use this stuff, I only think it is fair for batters to use it, too." He doesn’t say that he ever used steroids.

Read into it what you will. For me, I don't care. If steroids helped him have some of the greatest years in MLB history, then I thank him for making my life more pleasant.

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

<< <i>All your stats are true, no doubt about it. However, at the end of the day, the juice box is beautiful but an excuse of a ballpark to hit cheap homers and disgrace the history of MLB. And it is all in Houston, down in that country known as Texas - the only place where they will sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" during the 7th inning stretch while the rest of MLB plays “God Bless America”. And the only place where its star 1B takes great pride in being called “Fat Elvis”. >>

It's a disgrace? So I guess all of the old-time ballparks were a disgrace too, since thats what MMP is modeled after. And perhaps you should get your facts straight... 1) We have been singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" for years and we do sing "God Bless America" on Sundays. Shouldn't an alleged Cub's "fan" know about traditions? 2) Guess you are talking about Berkman and uh.. He takes great pride in it? Funny.. It's not mentioned here in Houston but since you say he does, it must be true.

Guess that's your response for us being, in your words, "a crappy" franchise? Yeah, uh, good one.. You really proved your point.

<< <i>And if you read my posts here, you will know that I complain about the Cubs and those Wrigley fans that support them. I expect the team to be mediocre at best this year and finish behind St. Louis and Houston. But then again, I'm a true Cubs fan with a brain because I didn't go to Wrigley to "get like so totally wasted." I hope my expectations are wrong, but I’ve been let down so many times in the past. >>

Okay... Uh.. Good for you?

<< <i>Go back and read my post. Did I ever say anything about him using steroids? All I said was that he was honest. Research it and you will see. When asked about steroids, Bagwell always says, "Hey, if pitchers use this stuff, I only think it is fair for batters to use it, too." He doesn’t say that he ever used steroids.

Read into it what you will. For me, I don't care. If steroids helped him have some of the greatest years in MLB history, then I thank him for making my life more pleasant. >>

The Bagwell comment wasn't aimed at you but since you brought it up. Please show me where Bags "always" says that. Actually, I take that back because I know discussing steriods with you is like talking to a wall. Go idolize Big "Look at my astonishing display of strength thanks to cheating" Mac and Sammy "I forgot how to speak English" Sosa.
  • stown, don't take megatron too seriously. He's had an axe to grind with Houston for some time. Last season he made a point of mentioning that Houston was the only playoff team that really didn't deserve to be there. Of course, they shut him up by representing the NL in the World Series. Just another disgruntled Cubs fan.
  • If you remember at the end of the WS, I was the first to commend Bags and Biggio on being true professionals. Here were two guys who played for one franchise their entire careers and they were swept in their only WS appearance.

Instead of moaning about the sweep, they just thanked everyone on their team and stated they were beat by a better team. I will never forgot these guys for that.

It's true. I can't stand Houston, and I couldn't stand them even if I wasn't a Cubs fan. They have two of the classiest players in baseball and a great owner, but it is simply too Texasized for me. They will likely do better than the Cubs this year, but that won't stop me from rooting against them. LOL.

<< <i>If you remember at the end of the WS, I was the first to commend Bags and Biggio on being true professionals. Here were two guys who played for one franchise their entire careers and they were swept in their only WS appearance.

Instead of moaning about the sweep, they just thanked everyone on their team and stated they were beat by a better team. I will never forgot these guys for that. >>

Hmmmm. Name one player that complained about the sweep.

<< <i>It's true. I can't stand Houston, and I couldn't stand them even if I wasn't a Cubs fan. They have two of the classiest players in baseball and a great owner, but it is simply too Texasized for me. They will likely do better than the Cubs this year, but that won't stop me from rooting against them. LOL. >>

So you went from saying we were a crappy franchise, to having a disgrace of a ballpark, to now just saying the city is too Texasized for you.

Hey that's fine, everyone is entilted to their own opinion. Just glad you finally gave a straight story for once.