Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

how much is value's added to a set by including ungraded junk?

I noticed there seems to be a great disparity in sales prices between selling a large graded vintage lot, and a partially graded vintage complete set. It's hard to make a direct correllation since all lots and sets that are sold differ in some capacity.

However, one trend that seems apparent to me is; in most auctions (especially in mastro, mile high, etc.) sets that have the majority of the cards graded sell for far greater premiums than a lot of the same size (even a lot with a higher gpa)....even though the ungraded cards are effectively described as junk.

Is this a fair assessment? is a complete set that much more desireable even if the ungraded cards are in the fair to vg range, than a pre packaged lot? are you better off spending an extra couple hundred dollars on ebay filling the holes of an incomplete set before you flip it?
Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
lsuconnman@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Graded cards, graded lots, graded sets...........of course you are going to get a premium for them over ungraded.....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Never understood it either.
    The only thing I can come up with is the gambling mentality that there may be some ungraded gold amongst the raw cards.

I always figure the decent stuff has already been graded and end up passing on those type auctions ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    Well, I sold a 57 Topps Baseball set several months back. Not quite complete (~95%) but with 125 graded. Since I'm a collector, I had every intention of having an entirely graded set. In fact, about 80 or so of the cards would have been candidates for grading. I guess that's a little more extreme than just having a few of the stars graded. I could see buying my 57 set with the same intentions that I had, without having to wait for a near complete set.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    I think you missed my premise lostdart....for example why would a 50 card psa 7 lot be less likely to realize the same value as a 50 card psa 6 lot that happens to also have the remaining 100 cards of the set ungraded in sub ex caliber.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you missed my premise lostdart.... >>

Too many vairiables to make a comparison............Cannot see that there would be a TREND....image

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete