Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Why do collectors hate OC cards so much?

I ended up with a nice little stack of OC stars out of the few hundred cards I've submitted since January.

One member told me that the OC qualifier is "The Kiss of Death" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

and it certainly seems to be....

last night for example I had a 1959 Hank Aaron in 8oc PSA end at 66.00 and some change! I have sold 3 normal 8's all in the 400.00 and over range in the past 2 months.

Now if I was building a set, I personally couldn't care less about registry hoopla, but would be thrilled to pick up an Aaron like that for 66.00 as long as there was some border on all sides.

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I buy OC cards if they're not MC. I think they're way underpriced. I don't like MC as much, and they have to be almost free for me to buy them.
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    I used to always by oc cards, and never really noticed the baggage that came along with them...but after about 8 months of brainwashing on this board, I stopped. I've effectively been socialized into the belief oc cards aren't worth the paper they're printed on!
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it may be due to the fact that a "defect"has been concretely pointed out in the card. Psychologically, most folks in our culture are in opposition to flaws of any kind, especially when they are so blatantly spotlighted. When it comes to collectors, I bet this phenomena is exacerbated significantly. Most collectors have a need to classify things in some manner. Qualifiers make this process messy. Of course, this may be overthinking it... a lot. image
  • Options
    no eye appeal, for me they are painfull to look at image
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    It's a shame, but next to PSA 7's, 8OC and 9OC cards are the next best value. It all depends on the eye appeal.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Its all personal opinion. Just remember back to the days when there were no grading companies and everyone had there own scale.

The registry really penalizes OC cards or other qualifiers when it comes to set rating. So I someone really cares about the overall set rating then they wont like an OC or other card. They ask for no-qualifiers when they submitt on the logic that that will only drop the card a grade. Because if I am right the registry drops gualifiers two grades. Now if your not hung up on your set rating, but want a nice collection then you might take an 8OC as long as you liked it.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>last night for example I had a 1959 Hank Aaron in 8oc PSA end at 66.00 and some change! I have sold 3 normal 8's all in the 400.00 and over range in the past 2 months. >>

well according to the registry, an OC card is equal to card without qualifier that is 2 grades lower, so in effect an 8OC is a straight 6.

and the current SMR for that card is
    1959 Topps #380 Hank Aaron (HOF) PSA5-60 PSA6-85 PSA7-130 PSA8-325 PSA9-2300

so those sale prices seem about right to me.
    In fact, it sounds like the 8 you sold did better than it should have!

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I think it depends on eye appeal. There can be some great bargains in OC cards.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be too philosophical but the brain perceives symmetry as being more asthetically pleasing. So a card that has symmetrical centering has better eye appeal. People with symmetrical faces are generally regarded as being more attractive.

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    To me, tilts or diamond cuts on cards are as bad as cards that are OC, especially on horizontal pictured cards such as 1955, 56, or 60 Topps.

Stay classy,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

As a kid ripping open packs, don't ever remember another kid saying
    "Wow ... you got a Hank Aaron ... too bad it's off-centered".

According to the 'old timers' who have been in the hobby for decades,
    centering was never an issue back in the good old days.

At what point in time did collectors start caring about it? Sometime in the 1970's? 1980's? 1990's?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Good question wolfbear....

when did it become an issue? with the beginning of the grading and slabbing of cards???

I have a few on ebay now that will be lucky to go for 1/3 of what they would if they were not OC.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    9OC is a pretty good value IMO.

as for when OC became an issue, I remm back in the late 70's thinking that a centered card was better then one OC. I think as kids in the 50's and 60's we did not think about it. In the 80's it was a well known fact that cards that were centered were better then those that were not. Around 1986-7 when the many coin dealers entered the hobby grading became more harsh. With the money they brought into the hobby came the grading scales we see today.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    First off, let me say that an otherwsie nice card that is merely off-centered, is perfectly acceptible in my collection. I'll give my mailing addy to anyone who wants to ship any 50's or 60's football cards that are PSA7, 8 or 9, with an OC qualifier, to me. Ill pay for any postage costs to take these burdens off your hands.image Maybe you can use them as tax right off.

A perfectly centered card looks pretty, but has no character. It's like a perfectly proportioned fashion model....pretty maybe, but boring.

For me, I've got lot's of OC cards with nice sharp corners, which are perfectly fine for my tastes. I just don't like MC cards. Also, if I have a choice, I prefer cards that are OC up and down rather than left to right.

While I'm here can I ask why I've never seen any PSA 10's with an OC qualifier?

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    <While I'm here can I ask why I've never seen any PSA 10's with an OC qualifier?>

Bowdowntome, I can answer that one for you a ten is almost a perfect card and can't have any really noticeable defects for the most part. So OC is a very big defect so in no way it has the attributes of a perfect card.

Joe
    88 Donruss - 1st All Time Finest Set
    Don Sutton Basic Set - 3rd All Time

Looking for 88 Donruss PSA 9 or Higher
    Looking for Sutton's PSA 7 or Higher
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    bowdowntome....

keep an eye on my listings.....I'm nearly giving the OC's away!imageimage
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    If card are little pieces of art, then you do not want the artwork (or photo) to be framed by a jacked up frame.
  • Options
    I have a '75 mini Aaron 9MC... but the miscut is only on the back and it's quite mild. The front is 60/40-ish. I got it for $33. Without the qualifier, it would go for over $400.

• Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    hey toad can you show the back of the aaron?
    Bob
  • Options
    Yes, yes I can...

• Options
    I have this mini, also...

I think the OC is a harsh call on this card. I like it, but it's draggin' my score down in the registry.
  • Options

<< <i> At what point in time did collectors start caring about it? Sometime in the 1970's? 1980's? 1990's? >>

When grading companies gave us a scale. A qualifier became a scar, which affected price, so the masses bought it.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    $66 for a '59 Aaron that is near mint but off center is not only a bargain, but should be. The value gap is not so much in how the o/c cards are touched with the "kiss of death" - it's more an issue of well centered 8s being given the "kiss of blessing". Most people looking for unqualified 8s and 9s are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for them. Once the qualifier hits, the seller finds himself clawing for business with every other retailer - in other words, if I couldn't get that o/c Aaron for 50 bucks, I'll keep trying until I do, because there are a lot more of them out there than there is well-centered high grade examples.

I ripped packs from '60 to '63 and I actually do remember being disappointed that a key card was off center. Mostly, though, I was often struck by the incredible beauty of a card that was well-centered. Personally, I have no problem with o/c cards - they came from the factory that way, and that's the way it is. But I certainly wouldn't pay a premium to get one.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody is different. I personally can't stand OC cards. I hate them. I don't care what issue or what year a card may be from. OC cards SUCK!. But that is just me. I am someone who can't believe that "vintage" guys bother collecting beat up Goudey's or creased T 3s. Do I even know what I am talking about? Maybe T 3 was my high school homeroom ?? This is just me and no offense to the way anybody collects image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240