Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

89 Upper Deck Sheffield Error??

I know about the upside down SS error, but what is the Star Rookie error that they refer to in their set composite for the '89 UD set??

Stingray

Comments

• Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    Isn't it the same error? I think the rookie cards were labeled Star Rookie.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't it the same error? I think the rookie cards were labeled Star Rookie. >>

Instead of what??
  • Options
    13 GARY SHEFFIELD SS UPSIDE DOWN 0 0 2 17 5 0 45 0 40 0 7 116
    13 GARY SHEFFIELD STAR ROOKIE 0 3 27 71 116 0 1288 4 3203 7 1230 5949
    The Star Rookie is on all of the rookie cars. Look at those POP numbers! image 1,230 PSA 10's!!!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    13 GARY SHEFFIELD 1
    or GARY SHEFFIELD SS CORRECT 1
    or GARY SHEFFIELD SS UPSIDE DOWN 1
    or GARY SHEFFIELD STAR ROOKIE 5

I was just wondering why in the set composite scores, the Star Rookie has a 5 and the SS upside down is 1?

• Options
    Maybe it has TM or R variation like a few others in set. I have the 2 1989 Topps Variations for sale on ebay though.
    Happy Hunting
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my favorite cards. I have no idea about this star rookie error or the 1 and 5 designation. I am lost here, but I need to know what is going on because I collect Sheffield.

I don't even own the upside down SS card, but would like to. I hate buying raw on ebay and have not gone to a show as they are getting less and less everytime.

How many PSA 10s are there of the regular issue and of the upside down SS?

How many 9s of each also?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    This is a long awaited bump, since I want to know the answer to the original inquiry.

In addition, what is the POP for the PSA 10 on each variation of the rookie card?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    Reg - 3392 - 9's, 1609 - 10's
    Upside down - 44 - 9's, 7 - 10's
  • Options
    I think the Star Rookie variation is that circle is blank white. I think I saw one on ebay few years back. Not 100% sure though. Our resident E/V collector jacksoncoupage should know.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread needs pictures!!!!
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    From what I am aware of.

PSA labeled the early sheffield's as star rookies on the slab.

I think they did that with all the Star Rookie's...meaning "rookies" for 89.

I don't think there is any error just a routine for labeling rookies.

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options

<< <i>From what I am aware of.

I don't think there is any error just a routine for labeling rookies. >>

Hit the nail on the head, Rich.

All the star rookies can be found with an R or TM by their Star Rookie logo. This is a true variation but it is not recognized by PSA on the slabs.

I can't say I've ever heard of a blank circle Sheffield, but supposedly a 1990 Ben McDonald exists that way but I am hesitant to buy it until I see one in person as they are easily faked (and often were back in the late 80's and early 90's).
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    yeah, I am sure we all remember taking a pencil eraser and erasing away the players name on the 1989 upper deck set...

I think i was smarter than most dealers and they thought I had somethin rare...lol
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>From what I am aware of.

I don't think there is any error just a routine for labeling rookies. >>

Hit the nail on the head, Rich.

All the star rookies can be found with an R or TM by their Star Rookie logo. This is a true variation but it is not recognized by PSA on the slabs.

I can't say I've ever heard of a blank circle Sheffield, but supposedly a 1990 Ben McDonald exists that way but I am hesitant to buy it until I see one in person as they are easily faked (and often were back in the late 80's and early 90's). >>

Thank you. After I posted, I thought about it and was cetain I saw a blank circle on a auction. But yes, it was McDonald not Sheffield.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Oh, OK, so just look for the TM or R near the Star Rookie emblem. Got it!

I guess its a variation, but neither is more valuable than the other? There are a lot of different Sheffield Rookies out there and now I see Upper Deck at least 4?

Star Rookie with the R
    Star Rookie with the TM
    Upside down SS Star Rookie with the TM
    upside down SS Star Rookie with the R