Home Sports Talk
Options

Went to my first fight ....

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
this past Saturday - Rahim vs. Toney. It was dull and I never would have believed that TV could dress up the whole escapade so well.

Guess I'm just not a fight connissuer. image
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Saw it on the sports highlights, Toney looked like he was out of shape or is that his normal conditioning?

Stingray
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Saw it on the sports highlights, Toney looked like he was out of shape or is that his normal conditioning?

Stingray >>

That's pretty much normal for Toney who, I think , started out as a middleweight.
    Wondo

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this past Saturday - Rahim vs. Toney. It was dull >>

i didnt see the fight, but ive heard it was indeed dull.. i still like boxing, but the good fights are so few & far between, i dont usually even bother watching it anymore..

do yourself a favor and start watching mma (mixed martial arts) fights.. usually much more exciting fights..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Larry Merchant had one of the best lines ever. It seems James Toney likes to hit the gym, only it looks like he is hitting the refridgerator more.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    That fight was pitiful. I am a boxing fan, and the heavyweight division is now a joke. More of a joke was the outcome - a draw - so fat ass Toney did not lose his "belt" and Rahman did not lose his standing. Rahman beat his fat ass, but the "draw" outcome perpetuates some kind of money fight in the heavyweight division.

There is much better boxing action on ESPN Classic. I watched Ali beat Foreman last night - 1974. This is boxing history, not the BS of today.

I love boxing, but am leaning towards PA's Mixed Martial Arts events. Watched the heavyweight bout last night and the outcome is hard to taint when guys beat the piss out of each other.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>That fight was pitiful. I am a boxing fan, and the heavyweight division is now a joke. More of a joke was the outcome - a draw - so fat ass Toney did not lose his "belt" and Rahman did not lose his standing. Rahman beat his fat ass, but the "draw" outcome perpetuates some kind of money fight in the heavyweight division.

There is much better boxing action on ESPN Classic. I watched Ali beat Foreman last night - 1974. This is boxing history, not the BS of today.

I love boxing, but am leaning towards PA's Mixed Martial Arts events. Watched the heavyweight bout last night and the outcome is hard to taint when guys beat the piss out of each other. >>

Was that the "Thriller in Manila"? When Ali's jaw was busted?

I was active duty in Asia then and we got some sort of special feed. Or something like that. Seems so long ago. Funny how some things back from those days seem like yesterday and other things seem just as they are, a long time back.

Anyway, was that the fight?

imageimageNever figure without figures to figure.
  • Options
    Wait a minute, it's coming back to me now. One was somewhere in Africa, yes? Frazier was in Manilla with Ali?

I get that stuff mixed up. Actually all three of those guys were seriously tough cookies.

• Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    LOL, I thought for sure your next statement was going to be "...and a hockey game broke out."

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Well......MannyQ... to answer.....Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw in a bout during his comeback from exile due to his consciencious objector position on Vietnam. Ali beat him on the rematch.

The "Thrilla in Manilla" was the greatest death match ever - between Ali and Frazier. It was #3 between these titans.

The "Rumble In The Jungle" in Zaire is when Ali beat Foreman in 1974 to regain the title after his period of exile.

Regards.

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Now I know old age is really setting in. I'd completely forgotten Ken Norton when I was posting that message up there. How could I have possibly forgotten Norton!? No need to answer.

Thanks for setting me straight.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Have to agree now that the best boxing is on the ESPN classic network. A couple of weeks ago they showed Tyson's first 15 or so fights. He was so dominant. I forgot he was so good, right up until Buster Douglas put him away and than nothing. Amazing how somebody fell so far so fast from the top.