Home Sports Talk
Options

Alfonso Soriano is a PUNK! *(if you did this at work your ass would be fire!)

"The 30-year-old was listed as the starting left fielder for Monday's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Viera, Fla.
When the Nationals took the field, only eight men left the dugout.

Manager Frank Robinson was forced to emerge from the dugout and inform the umpires he would have to shuffle his line-up.

The Nationals already have three-time All-Star Jose Vidro at second base and want the power-hitting Soriano to play left field.

General Manager Jim Bowden said he believes Soriano's refusal to change positions is a violation of his contract, which will pay him $10 million this season."

I SAY FIRE THE SOB!
OR BETTER YET, since HE is in violation of the contract and does not care to meet His obligatoins, then they should do the same thing,
and just BENCH HIS ASS - REFUSE TO PAY HIM OR TRADE HIM!! and see how he likes that!

what a freaking crybaby!

He best be glad he even has a damn job and shut up and do what he is paid to do, which is play ball.

instead of refusing to play, because he can't play the position he wants.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060321/sp_nm/baseball_soriano_dc

Comments

• Options
    As a Blue Jays fan, I remember this same type of scenario well when George Bell was asked to DH in 1987. I believe they even announced his name to hit in a Spring Training game and he refused to go to the plate. It left Jimy Williams scrambling. I don't think Bell's reputation ever recovered after that. I know for a fact that Bell has been on the ballot for the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame for a number of years and he never receives anywhere near the number of votes, despite having some of the best stats in Jays history.
  • Options
    On a sidenote, who in their right mind would want to make Frank Robinson angry? A tremendous ballplayer and a good man, but one tough cookie.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The reason he doesn't want to play in the outfield was discussed here in a previous conversation, and it boiled down to this: at second base, his numbers overcome his pathetic lack of defensive ability and make him an all star. He switches to the outfield, suddenly he gets lost in the pack and no longer goes to the all star game.

It's good to see owners taking more stern stances with these crybaby players (Keyshawn, TO, now this clown). I think Robinson just needs to slap him about and get him in line.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a punk
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Man, I thought I did great by landing him in the third round of NL-only fantasy draft over the weekend. It still might be a good move, but stunts like this really irk me. You gotta be completely full of yourself to defy a legend like Robinson.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from Frank Robinson, how about his teamates? If I was on that team I would absolutly not respect Soriano for his decision to act like that.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think Jim Bowden would have done his homework on Soriano. He refused to go to the outfield with the Yankees, he refused to go to the outfield with the Rangers, and now he has refused again. There is a long track record here that Bowden simply ignored. Bowden obviously was not allowed to speak with Soriano before the deal and unfortunately for the Nationals he pulled the trigger to get Alfonso thinking that he and Robinson could convince him to switch to the outfield. This is a very interesting case and has the potential to be a landmark happening. Assuming Alfonso does not give in (that is his track record) there will ALOT of eyes on how this transpires including other sports teams.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I agree 100% with softparade. This falls entirely in Jim Bowdens lap. Maybe he should have stayed with ESPN because he sure didnt do his homework......
  • Options
    Didn't Soriano switch to the outfield to play in Japan, to get his break in the majors?

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Soriano is a offensive beast. Why wouldn't you want that at second base and have another outfield spot in the line up? Tejada had
    more errors last year, I don't hear anyone yelling to put him into the outfield.

Nats didn't do their homework. Plain and simple. They need to trade Alf to the Phillies!

JS
  • Options
    JS, as an Expos fan I'm all for that--Alfie for Bobby--put in a good word for it eh?
    Jay
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    rumor swriling around is soriano to the mets for victor diaz and another player. my guess would be anderson hernandez or kepinger..
  • Options

<< <i>Soriano is a offensive beast. Why wouldn't you want that at second base and have another outfield spot in the line up? Tejada had
    more errors last year, I don't hear anyone yelling to put him into the outfield.

Nats didn't do their homework. Plain and simple. They need to trade Alf to the Phillies!

JS >>

They already have an outstanding second baseman, and Soriano has over 100 errors in the past 4 years, the second most in that time? 59.

He's god awful at second...why not put him in left field where he'd help the club? Oh wait, he could care less, he only wants to promote HIMSELF.

I'd love the Nats to sit him down all year, not pay him a dime, and teach this punk a lesson.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Soriano will meet his match if he thinks he will butt heads with Frank Robby and win. Bad move. Robby will eat his shorts despite his star status. He will sit on the bench or go elsewhere. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    And this episode proves further that Arod is indeed the best player in the game.

Arguably the game's best shortstop prior to his move to NY, he wasn't asked twice to move to third - and he never said a single word about it, either. Now, he's one of the game's best thirdbasemen.

If Soriano spent as much time doing fielding drills as he did whining and crying about not wanting to play the outfield, he might be an asset. As it is, he's a crybaby who is going to have Mr Robinson in his ear all season long.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Gotta admit - this is a punk move by Soriano. He should be happy he is getting millions of dollars to play a game for a living...and stop crying about things like position. Of course, maybe he won't look as good in the outfield - but, too bad...last I checked, Soriano wasn't the manager or the owner of the Nationals.

But Soriano to the Mets for Victor Diaz? image C'mon man - unless the "other player" is Delgado or Pedro - forget it!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Soriano is a offensive beast. Why wouldn't you want that at second base
    JS >>

Soriano has over 100 errors in the past 4 years, the second most in that time? 59. >>

Maybe that was what Joe meant by him being a "Beast"? I mean leading the position throughout the league with 100 errors IS pretty beastly!

• Options
    JS, Tejada is a SS. Shortstop is a much much more demanding position defensively than 2B. Soriano is the Mike Piazza of defensive second basemen.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Guess he saw the light. $10 million and play left field, or $0 and sit and home doing nothing. I really respect Frank Robinson's comments during this - he was professional, and showed who was in charge of the team.
  • Options

<< <i>Guess he saw the light. $10 million and play left field, or $0 and sit and home doing nothing. I really respect Frank Robinson's comments during this - he was professional, and showed who was in charge of the team. >>

yeah, he is still a punk.

he only did it because of the very real threat of no cash.

at least Frank had the balls to stand up and make him do it.

my favorite line in this story is "The 30-year-old Soriano, acquired in an off-season trade with the Texas Rangers,
    has never played the outfield since joining the Major Leagues in 1999 although his fielding at second base has been erratic. image

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060323/sp_nm/baseball_soriano_dc