Home Sports Talk

WBC Championship Game

In about three and a half hours Japan squares off against Cuba. What do you think? Who is going to be the World Champions?

By the way, what's the weather going to be like? Will that be a factor?

]
imageimageNever figure without figures to figure.

Comments

• By the way, it's a holiday here in Japan today. You know the ratings are going to be way, way up there. Advertisers couldn't have asked for a better opportunity. Bet those companies that opted out of ads for this game are eatig their hearts out now.

]
  • Being in Japan, I have to go with the Japanese, but deep down I have reservations about Matsuzaka. He has trouble with his control way too often, especially in big games. He was great on the high school team at Koshien, but as a pro ...

By the way, Susquehanna, your User ID reminds me of a river I did some flying around when I was stuck at New Cumberland Depot (something like that) during a hurricane. Was a lot of years ago. Used to fly chinooks. Boeing has/had a depot there. You have any connection with that river?

]
  • I think Cuba's pitching is overmatched by Japan's bats. Should be an entertaining game.

I grew up on the banks of the 'mighty' Susquehanna river. Always considered myself a bit of a river rat, so I thougt it would work as an I.D. That depot is near Harrisburg, Pa. I'm not that familiar with it. Enjoy the holiday.

Nick

• << <i>I think Cuba's pitching is overmatched by Japan's bats. Should be an entertaining game.

I grew up on the banks of the 'mighty' Susquehanna river. Always considered myself a bit of a river rat, so I thougt it would work as an I.D. That depot is near Harrisburg, Pa. I'm not that familiar with it. Enjoy the holiday.

Nick >>

I confess I'm parked in front of the TV right now. Feels funny with a cup of coffee instead of a beer, though. First pitch is coming up.

]
  • Wow, Cubans are having some serious problems with their pitching right from the get-go.

This is weird. Look at the edit time below. Cubans are already bringing in their third pitcher. 4-0 and still in the top of the first. I hope this game doesn't become a bore. Bummer for the Cubans, eh?

• Oh boy, that's what I was referring to above about Matsuzaka. I guess we can toss that "boring" business out the window. Might be a real high scoring game.

• Anyone else getting sick of the Dial commercial ESPN keeps running during each break? That has got to be the most annoying commercial today. Arhhhhhh

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Am watching this on Japanese TV. Heard the Japanese announcer guy say something about ESPN, but not about annoying commercials.

I know for a fact that companies with ads on this show in Japan are getting their money's worth, though.

Some seriously good defense by Japan on that shot up the middle! Wish I could still do that stuff. But, alas, age catches up with all of us, yes?

• Yes it does.

What I find most fascinating about the WBC is the different styles between the teams. For instance, the Japan team is very, very fast and is focused on getting on base. It is so exciting to see a potential infield grounder turn into an infield hit!!

The Cuban hitters seem to be more focused on power tonight.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • First thing the announcer just said about that touch-up was that Matsunaka didn't leave the bag early.

We'll never forget, eh?

• << <i>Yes it does.

What I find most fascinating about the WBC is the different styles between the teams. For instance, the Japan team is very, very fast and is focused on getting on base. It is so exciting to see a potential infield grounder turn into an infield hit!!

The Cuban hitters seem to be more focused on power tonight. >>

I'd say over the past years here in Japan it's been the attention to the running game that's been getting teams into the championship. I think Ichiro Suzuki's been a good example of that. He's gotten a lot of base hits in the majors with his speed.

• Uh oh, Japan's favorite field judge is at first and we're seeing a number of replays of that call. Sure looked like a "tie goes to the runner" thing.

• Japan ain't firing on all cylinders right now.

• UH OH!!

That's BIG UH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not like what I am seeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Otsuka.

Now I need a beer.

• What a bunt!

....................................................................................................................................
    Wow, that was a great call at the plate. I thought he was out until I saw the replay.

• They're down by 5 runs and he's BUNTING!!!?

AMAZING!!!!!!

• WELL, WELL, WELL! They did it. Team Japan wins the first World Baseball Classic!!!!!!!!!!

Not a bad game. More runs than I expected.

Think we'll see more?

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I guarantee if the US had won, you'd have a lot more people calling for it.

What they need to do is what I've said from the beginning. Do it every 3 years like they have now, but have no all-star game that year and instead take 2-3 weeks off in the middle of the year when all the players are in top form, and do this thing right. Doing it halfway like this at the beginning of the season just doesn't seem right.

Ichiro batted .364 in the tournament, and from the highlights I saw, seemed to be instrumental in his team's wins.

• Yes, Ichiro was important and did a good job, but Matsunaka, the clean-up batter got the team MVP. He deserved it.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guarantee if the US had won, you'd have a lot more people calling for it.

What they need to do is what I've said from the beginning. Do it every 3 years like they have now, but have no all-star game that year and instead take 2-3 weeks off in the middle of the year when all the players are in top form, and do this thing right. Doing it halfway like this at the beginning of the season just doesn't seem right.

>>

I have been saying the same thing all along and for the second time ever I agree with Axtell. While it was nice to see competitive baseball in March it was not close to the type of baseball big leaguers play in mid and late season shape. No matter how hard these guys might have tried it still was the equivalent of them hopping out of bed in the morning late, not taking a shower, forgetting the cup off coffee, and off to work with blood shot eyes.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240