Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Who is hoarding the 05-D SF Roosie's

Ok own up... Who's hoarding all the 05 SF MS68FB's.
Pop shows 53 I think, and you won't find many listed in the Registry. So someone/or ones are holding me up on finishing my 4 coin set for the year. Shame shame shame....
Please check your pockets before leaving this forum.
Dan

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Ok own up... Who's hoarding all the 05 SF MS68FB's.
    Pop shows 58 I think, and you won't find many listed in the Registry. So someone/or ones are holding me up on finishing my 4 coin set for the year. Shame shame shame....
    Please check your pockets before leaving this forum. >>

haha I was thinking the same thing. You would think these were made of platinum for the prices they bring when you see one.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I just might have one or more image

Dan,

PM me if you are interested
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya people, I sure could use a 2005-D MS68FB/SF Roosie. What does one bring? I've never seen one for sale?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    "I've never seen one for sale"

Thats why my thread had hoarding in it. The P in 69FB is pop 30 and you see them for sale everywhere you look.
    The D at a grade lower has a pop of almost twice that, and you rarely see one at auction. image
    Dan
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teletrade is doing it with the 05-d MS69 SF cents. You won't find one for sale anywhere but there, and I refuse to pay $160+juice+shipping for one.
    Doug
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I know nothing about roosies...but are the pops low because it's tough to make in 69 because the FB's are not always there...or just because many have not been submitted for grading????

Why not just buy a slew of unopened mint sets...cherry pick out 4 or 5 of the best dimes...send them in for grading and sell off the rest of the sets? That's what I did for my 2005 SF lincolns last year...I went thru my 10 mints sets...picked out the two best P's and the two best D's...sent them to PCGS and got back three 69's and a 68!

Come to think of it...I may have some P's and D's laying around from the mint sets that I broke up. If I remember correctly, one of those was VERY impressive. I may have a few floating around in my drawers at home ( still in the cello of course). If their nice, I'll be happy to sent it on to you at no charge. I wouldn't know FB's if they smacked me in the forehead though. I'll snap a pic or two if their worth a damn...

Good luck!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep looking for any 2005-D FB. I have been through about 4 rolls, and can't find one. I bid on this one yesterday, but I was less than half with my bid. This one from teletrade went of $120.00 MS66FB (it doesn't say SF, but the picture doesn't lie.
    2005-D teletrade auction

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>I know nothing about roosies...but are the pops low because it's tough to make in 69 because the FB's are not always there...or just because many have not been submitted for grading????

Why not just buy a slew of unopened mint sets...cherry pick out 4 or 5 of the best dimes...send them in for grading and sell off the rest of the sets? That's what I did for my 2005 SF lincolns last year...I went thru my 10 mints sets...picked out the two best P's and the two best D's...sent them to PCGS and got back three 69's and a 68!

Come to think of it...I may have some P's and D's laying around from the mint sets that I broke up. If I remember correctly, one of those was VERY impressive. I may have a few floating around in my drawers at home ( still in the cello of course). If their nice, I'll be happy to sent it on to you at no charge. I wouldn't know FB's if they smacked me in the forehead though. I'll snap a pic or two if their worth a damn...

Good luck! >>

Ellewood, reading this post made me laugh. Its like your talking to yourself as you are looking for these Roosies as you can't seem to find them. I thought that is very comical to say the least.

Anyway, I wish it were that simple to just go and buy 10, 15, or 20 mint sets and "Bam" there it is a brand new 2005-D MS68/69FB/SF Roosie. Well They are just not around. This is BY FAR the most difficult of the 2005 statin finish coins. I bet that you would have to buy well >100 Mint sets to find 1 05-D in a 68FB.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Stooge,

I was being a bit sarcastic when I posted above about going out and buying 10 sets etc. Funny thing is that lincolns were that easy in 8 and 9 SF. Right now I am searching rolls for business strike 2005's (lincolns) and that is a completely diff story. It VERY difficult to find anything above 6 or 7.

I know when the SF coins hit the street brccoins (Brian Childs) had a TON of them slabbed (for sale on eBay)...many diff. demominations too. Might want to PM him to see if he has any of the roosies...
  • Options

<< <i>I know nothing about roosies...but are the pops low because it's tough to make in 69 because the FB's are not always there...or just because many have not been submitted for grading???? >>

It's the bands that are hard to find full. If you check the pops you will find
    367/86/1 non bands. Thats 367in 68 / 86 in 69 / 1 in ms70.
    ellwood you can try pictures, but unless they are large and clear, it will be hard to see if the bands go COMPLETELY across. If you could come up with one in 69FB you could get a nice return on it. Justhavingfun may not mind telling what he paid for his. He's one of the owners of the two that are now graded that high. Then again he may not want to discuss it, I don't know him so cant speak for him.
    And like Paul, I have ten sets and diden't see anything special in any coin in them. Of course I am speaking only of the dimes, since thats what I'm looking for. I'll worry about the other coins at a later date.
    Roosies have me in tunnel vision mode until I start another series.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Roosies have me in tunnel vision mode until I start another series. >>

Dan50:

I know the feeling! image <--------------------------------Thats all of us Roosie guys!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I looked at what BRCCOINS was offering on eBay and I only found 1 MS69FB Roosevelt Dime Satin Finish that he was offering for sale. Price $399.99 Here is the LINK to his BUY IT NOW AUCTION. He may have others but right now he only has one of them up for sale. With a combined pop of just 32 for the 2005 P (30/0) & 2005 D (2/0), I would be holding on to them if I had any. There is more demand than supply---good position to be in. I owned a MS69 2000-P Sac when the population was 1. I sold the coin right as others were being made. I had the opportunity to buy a 2nd but didn't because I was afraid that the pop was going to jump up so I sold. Boy was that a mistake. Nice profit but the pop only went to 6 and has stayed there ever since. I would love to own 2 of those right now. THere are too many Modern Type Set and Roosevelt Dime collectors that want these coins. If the pop stays where it is now, the prices will surely be higher. IMHO
  • Options
    As I said before, I'm not familiar with Roosies...but I find this intriguing because this coin is so hard to find and make! Dan50, thanks for answering my question about the bands..now I know why this coin is so difficult to make! It seems that these coins are a dime a dozen in non-FB's...but when it comes to FB's...it gets tricky.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone has a close up of a FB (doesn't necessarily have to be a 2005) and a close up of one that just misses FB...I'd love for you to post them. It would allow me to see the diff. between the two.

Good luck to all of you. I know what it's like to search thru rolls and rolls to find one $%&#@* coin.image
  • Options
    What is a fair price for a 2005 Roosie in MS68FB or MS69FB?
  • Options

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, if anyone has a close up of a FB (doesn't necessarily have to be a 2005) and a close up of one that just misses FB...I'd love for you to post them. It would allow me to see the diff. between the two. >>

A 2005-D PCGS MS66FB non-satin finish with GREAT FB photos just listed on eBay for sale with reserve no doubt. This will give you a great sense of the full bands!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Here is the link to the picture he is talking about. LINK
    The seller has a little bit of false advertising going on. His item description states:
    "PCGS MS66FB 2005-D ROOSEVELT DIME - ONLY 2 NONE FINER !"
    but there are 2 MS69FB and 53 MS68FB 2005-D Roosevelts graded so far. Must be using an old pop report.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the link to the picture he is talking about. LINK
    The seller has a little bit of false advertising going on. His item description states:
    "PCGS MS66FB 2005-D ROOSEVELT DIME - ONLY 2 NONE FINER !"
    but there are 2 MS69FB and 53 MS68FB 2005-D Roosevelts graded so far. Must be using an old pop report. >>

This is for a NON SATIN FINISH Roosevelt in a MS66FB holder and the description is correct. I believe that even in this modest grade, this is a rare coin and will probably go north of $100.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul, et. al.:

Since I haven't been buying anything recently, I am unsure of my ability to determine a SF from a non-SF. So, do you think the coin in the eBay sale is a non-SF?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    that looks like the one from teletrade that sold for $120 this week
    and I think it looks like a satin finish dime from the pics, as did the teletrade
    pics of the dime
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    OH WHY OH WHY DID THE MINT HAVE TO PULL THIS SATIN FINISH BULLSH*@!!!! We were all so much better off before this whole debate started and non SF coins landed in SF holders and vice versa. It happened with lincolns, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves and sackies.

WHAT A FRIGGIN MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I bet you that coin on ebay is a non SF coin. There are a lot of 05-06 coins that look frosty. And with a subdued light, can make the pictures look somewhat SF. But in hand you will see the diff. between SF and these early rolls. I don't know if the later rolls of coins will be this nice or not.
    Dan
  • Options
    it has the same cert number as the one that sold on teletrade for $120 this week
    sure looks like a SF dime to me, the roll dimes I have seen have a shiny look to them
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>Paul, et. al.:

Since I haven't been buying anything recently, I am unsure of my ability to determine a SF from a non-SF. So, do you think the coin in the eBay sale is a non-SF?

Thanks in advance.

Mark >>

Mark:

I have to tell you that it looks very frosty and compared to some of the satin finish dimes I have I would think that it is a satin finish coin...now from what Dan50 says and he is right that this could be the lighting and the way the coin looks in the pix. I don't know what to say, but I did bid $50 on it and probably didn't scratch the reserve, especially since it seems to be the same coin that was on TT.

I think that this is a true condition census rarity and should easily bring North of $100. The 05'-D's are IMHO the hardest to find in high grade for any 05 coin. I'm actually thinking of rolling the dice on this one. I will decide in a day or 2, unless someone else here wants it more then me. Dan50 has the 05-P MS67FB (3/0) so he may want this one.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>OH WHY OH WHY DID THE MINT HAVE TO PULL THIS SATIN FINISH BULLSH*@!!!! We were all so much better off before this whole debate started and non SF coins landed in SF holders and vice versa. It happened with lincolns, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves and sackies.

WHAT A FRIGGIN MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

I laughed outloud on this one! imageimage

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I think that this is a true condition census rarity and should easily bring North of $100. The 05'-D's are IMHO the hardest to find in high grade for any 05 coin. I'm actually thinking of rolling the dice on this one. I will decide in a day or 2, unless someone else here wants it more then me. Dan50 has the 05-P MS67FB (3/0) so he may want this one.

Paul I have the D mint just forgot to include it into the 20 I just submitted. I do have a 06-D FB in with this bunch I look for 66/67FB on.
    The FB's I HOPE to make are 67 / 68 / 72 / 73 / 2-73-D's / 75 / 88-D / 93-D / 04-P / 06-D
    Non band's are 69-D / 70 / 78-D / 79-D
    The other five are 2 / cent coins / 1 nickle / 2 Kennedy's
    By the way, this is the first time there have been anything other than Roosie's submitted by me.
    The next batch will include 2 / Ikes / 1 SBA / and a few quarters from the 60's and 70's

I just cant seem find a 69-D Roosie in FB. I cant tell you how many rolls and mint sets I've gone through. And you probably woulden't believe me if I had kept records of them. But I can tell you I have some super nice ones without the bands. Sent one in this trip, along with another 67 that I hope won't get the SMS curse put on it.
    If the 67 and 69-D don't come back ms68 I'm going to be really crushed. But I have a couple more of each that look just as nice, so I guess they will be in the next bunch. image
    Dan
  • Options
    See that the seller pulled the auction on the '05-D 66FB Roosie that was from Teletrade and flipped on Ebay ending tonite????

edited to make it clearer
  • Options
    guess he paid 120 for the dime and could not get that on ebay
    looks like the high bid only went to about $80
    wonder if he will relist it
    Tim
    still looks like a SF dime to me
  • Options
    Check out this dime. This was taken at an angle, making it look shiney. But stright on it has a SF look to it. In hand you can see that its a business strike. I'm not sure what the mint is doing this year, but the rolls I've looked through have all been early strikes and of better quality than years past. The problem is the same as past years, finding a nice unmarked coin.

Dan
  • Options
    I was very suprised at the hammer price. Very low. Then I wasn't suprised at the hammer price, because the grade is low and Roosies are alittle soft.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I think the best bet would be to get the 06 dimes graded
    before the mint sets come out then there should be no question, guess it is time to go to the
    bank and search some rolls
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>I think the best bet would be to get the 06 dimes graded
    before the mint sets come out then there should be no question, guess it is time to go to the
    bank and search some rolls
    Tim >>

There have been plenty of '06 rolls for sale on eBay lately!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Well, I managed to track this coin down and have it in hand...and as Dan50 suggests, it is indeed a business strike. Just as he suggested, it is just a frosty coin...I did get an '05 set and matched it up against the SF Roosie, and yes, to end all debate, its just a frosty Roosie business strike...now, if the pop can just stay LOW on this....

edited to add: no April fool
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I managed to track this coin down and have it in hand...and as Dan50 suggests, it is indeed a business strike. Just as he suggested, it is just a frosty coin...I did get an '05 set and matched it up against the SF Roosie, and yes, to end all debate, its just a frosty Roosie business strike...now, if the pop can just stay LOW on this....

edited to add: no April fool >>

Would you mind filling us all in on the specifics regarding about how you were able to track this dime down and what it took to get it?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Stooge/Paul, check your PMs
  • Options

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    the pop all depends on the price they sell for, if the price gets high
    more will be sent in for grading . or if pcgs makes them needed for the registry
    sets more will be graded.
    Tim
    as Paul said you can buy OBW rolls on ebay and search them
  • Options
    Folks its sad. I have gone thru about 19 rolls of 2005-P lincoln cents over a 3 week period. The good news is that I have found 3 SWEET business strike lincolns that I will eventually send in for grading. HOWEVER, I have also found 10-15 coins in those same OBW's that I could send to PCGS and land in SATIN FINISH holders. They look more "satiny" than the 2005 PCGS P&D MS69RD SF's that I have in my collection! What's wrong with that picture?????? I've even seen 2005's that have been pulled from mint sets that look like regular business strikes.

And we wonder why NGC and PCGS are screwing this up? It's simple. It's getting hard to tell which is which because there really can be a grey area between business strike and Satin Finish. I'll say it again...what a friggin' mess.

• Options
    Sometimes I think that it serves better to just buy from someone else who has made already what you are needing/looking for! The problem with that is sometimes what you want has not been made ie...I'm looking for 2005-P/D MS68FB's Non Satin Finish, but these have not been made and probably will not be made. Its a total crap shoot with rolls. Cladking said that you could look through hundreds of rolls before you can find 1 specimen worth grading. I also have read that collectors have gone through $1,000 bags of Statehood Quarters and found nothing to grade. Its bad!

The U.S. Mint facilites suk! Low relief, satin finish, poor designs, and no Roosevelt bags or rolls! Doesn't really matter, cause they probably would charge $39.99 for a $5.00 P & D roll anyway! image

Later, Paul.

I second that.....WHAT A FRIGGIN MESS WE HAVE!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "HOWEVER, I have also found 10-15 coins in those same OBW's that I could send to PCGS and land in SATIN FINISH holders. They look more "satiny" than the 2005 PCGS P&D MS69RD SF's that I have in my collection! What's wrong with that picture??????"

Not much terribly wrong- it is one of the key reasons I posted a thread that now has close to 600 posts on it regarding PCGS/state quarters. It was agreed by a number of well known dealers/ collectors in this area way back when that there was very, very little difference between certain Mint Set SF Lincolns and non-mint set coins.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I just noticed the pops on 2005-D 68FB sf dimes went up again. So someone(s) has made 7 more of those little elusive Roosevelt dimes.
    Now a pop of 60 may be rare in some series, but Roosies are a bit slow right now, and there should be enough to go around.
    So again I say.... WHO"S HOARDING ALL THE D-MINT 68FB SF COINIES. .. Don't make me take names image
    Dan
  • Options
    Been another 8 days and no response from anyone on the whereabouts of these dimes.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Mas3387 was kind enough to hunt one of these beauties down for me! imageimageimage

I still have never seen one for sale.

Thanks Mas3387!!!!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul there is one on ebay as we talk..uh..type.
    Also note the pop is up to 74.image

edited to add:
    I just noticed a message from mas, he has mine also..Thanks buddy. image
    Dan
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stooge, Dan50 and the other board members for your purchaces.

Glad we where able to help out with these coins. Feel free to stop by our ebay store, link, or contact us with any other coins you may be looking for image

Best ,
    Mas3387
  • Options
    Dan50:

I must have missed that one! image I have it on my watch page, so i can see if I got a bargain!

I thinks me did.

Later, Paul.

P.S. Thanks again Mas3387! image

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    For anyone who still needs one, there is one on ebay now, and one coming up on teletrade.
    Dan