Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Need Help deciding on a new vintage set

41 Playball or 48 Bowman

The set will be 5-6 range and mainly based on centering. I have decided on these 2 due to the small size (72,48) and the lack of a monster card. I see only a few big cards in each of these sets and nothing really that crazy. I also wonder how close the SMR is on the two sets. If anyone has any comments, pro's and con's on each I would love to hear it. I am leaning more towards the 48 Bowman because of my personal feelings on how they would present in that grade range. TIA for your comments!!!
1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    '41 PlayBall, hands down. Great design (blowing away '48 Bowman IMO) and a strong selection of stars. Readily available in PSA 5, and physically larger than the Bowmans.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with Grif - I just unloaded my '41 partial set in 5 to build it in 6, but it's an all-around gorgeoso set.
    The '48 set might possibly be more important, but it pales in eye appeal. Plus you have the Williams card issued in what was probably his finest year.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    And Dimaggio issued in the year of his 56 game hitting streak, 15 Hall of Famers including Pee Wee Reese' rookie card, and all 3 Dimaggio Brothers. Add in the fact that it was the last set issued before WW2 and the ensuing paper drives, and you've got a winner.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    How close does SMR come on the majority of the set. I would rather have centered 5's with rough corners. Is that going to be a problem???
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    You can buy PSA-5's dirt cheap in 1941 for some reason. I have built 95% of the set in PSA-6 and PSA-7 way easier than anticipated and lost more money selling PSA-5's than I care to admit. Not many people that are putting the set together in relative comparison for what ever reason.image
  • Options
    5's are pretty easy- especially if you're willing to include 7oc's.
    They don't get really bad price wise until you hit PSA 8 (with the few key exceptions) and at that point the pops start really playing into it. A solid 5 set is really nice in this issue.

• Options
    I would try to stay away from the o/c's. Is getting decent centered cards going to be any harder than most other sets???
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    Not that much tougher. The borders are small, but for the most part the production quality on this issue was pretty good. The high numbers (>48) are only a bit tougher than the low numbers. Dimaggio is the most expensive, followed by Wiliams, Greenberg, Reese, and then maybe Gomez and Dickey. Get past those first two and you're pretty much over the big hurdle. If you want to do it in one swoop you might try and raw set from any auction house, grade it, and sell the over and under 5's to finance the rest.

• Options
    After reading what you all said, and looking at some ebay and registry pics. 41 Play ball it is!!! I might have to piece it together to start. I am not sure how, but if i get a few decent 5-6's then maybe I can pick up the big boys as $$$ allows.

If anyone knows of some small lots, or a source of some decent raw please LMK. I actually love getting my cards graded and not just buying them all already done.

THX DAVE
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA