Home Metal Detecting
Options

Danish ground yields a silver

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
Greetings from Denmark, where

Spring is slowly but surely coming image

I made it out today, hoping to find something nice. Here goes:

The first two hours were lousy to say the least, I didn’t find a single coin.
My left pocket (where I put trash) was bulging, my right pocket (no zipper, where I put semi-good stuff like modern coins that I’m taking with me, but losing them wouldn’t be a big deal) was empty, and my “good stuff pocket”, containing a plastic bag with olive oil (thanks for the tip Phut!) was empty as well imageimage

I decided to change location..

After some walking, I spotted a promising-looking area with plenty of old trees.
Here’s part of it.

In the exact spot where I put my coil down, I got a nice coin signal about 4 inches deep.
It turned out to be trash, but this was promising… surely every detectorist running his coil over that signal would have dug it.. Maybe this area hadn’t been hunted so much before….

Around one of the trees I got two shallow signals (less than an inch) that yielded an old key and a nice 1920’s bronze 5 öre. Promising.

Next up was what had once been a really massive tree:

It looked like the biggest tree in the area, so I thought I’d hunt the area around it carefully.
I was quite surprised and a bit disapponted when I didn’t get a single signal in the area immediately around the tree, even with no discrimination.

A few paces away from it, however, I got a big bang in my headphones. +50 VDI on the display, depth: 0 inches (hmmph..), and that's with some snow and a layer of leaves to boot. I didn’t even bother bending down to dig this one – I just swept away some snow and leaves with my foot. I was surprised to see a small coin, the size of a dime, smack right in the middle of the area I had exposed.

I expected a 1960’s-1980’s 10 öre coin, but that soon changed when I saw an outline of a bust on the obverse…. Alright!!!

Here you can see the find spot (dark pile of leaves near the left edge of the picture) in relation to the old tree. All the footsteps are mine, apparently a result of my victory dance imageimage

So what did I find?
This is how it came out of the ground. More than enough to identify it, and also to see that it probably was in nice shape:

And here is a cleaner version:
Danish 4 Rigsmontskilling 1854. Silver. Condition is not too shabby either! image
(Edit: After looking for some more info on this coin, I was surprised to find that it indeed contains silver, but the fineness is only 0.250. I'll still count it as a silver though image )

After finding this one on an “obvious trash” signal, I dug everything that beeped, squaked, blipped or burped around that tree, but everything else was trash. Shoot, if I’d started off by digging some of the other shallow signals around, just to find trash, I probably wouldn’t have even bothered to check this one out…

As has happened to me before (e.g. in the case of the 1593 Swedish coin in my sig line), a nice find came by digging a signal that should have been trash, really…
I think I’m increasingly going to dig everything on sites like this, at least until I know that an area is so loaded with trash that digging everything becomes hopeless..

Thanks for looking

Happy hunting!!

-Z

Edit (spelling)
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    wise words for an old location:
    Dig everything!

Cool find Erik... that's a sharp looking silver and a nice one for the collection.

Congrats! image
  • Options
    You're hardcore Zot. That 1854 silver ure is a neat find.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    That all looks familiar. I was hunting snow covered woods just last week. Is there still a thin layer of frozen dirt in spots?
    Nice story, pics and find!
  • Options

<< <i>Is there still a thin layer of frozen dirt in spots? >>

Yep. Up to 2 inches in some places, requiring a knife and lots of grunt. At least the plug holds together very well. image
    In other places the ground is a bit hard on top, but a digging tool can be pushed through just fine.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay, Zot! image

I wonder what electrolysis would do for that piece? image

What... no critter pic? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder what electrolysis would do for that piece? image >>

Actually, it already had some electrolysis to get it into its cleaner state...
    A very quick one though, just to loosen things up a bit, and then rinsed off with water.

It could be cleaned more, no doubt, but I think it doesn't look too bad the way it is now. I'm always nervous that some shiny spots may show up somehow, ruining the overall look... I'll probably leave it the way it is.
  • Options
    nice work Zot!
  • Options
    Nice work Zot!

And yes... you are hardcore!!!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage