Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lets talk coins. What do you look for in modern coins that's just not always there? True View pics a

cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think one thing we all can agree on is strike as being a very important characteristic when selecting coins for our sets. While at local coin shows and browsing though pages of raw coins looking for the jewel of the nile image I know I sometimes have to stop myself from looking at just the contact marks and look for that coin that just stands out on the album page. Not really looking at all the coins on a page for their individual detail, just looking to really notice that coin that has super luster and eye appeal. Sure some may look like a quick dip would bring them back to life, but in some cases you find problems beneath that clad tarnish. I have found that after looking for coins with original luster then I can focus on strike, marks and their placement. Not that I am some expert, just wanted to share my thoughts and say what I find missing from the pages and wooden cases those clad coins temporally rest is luster and eye appeal. Also it seems to me that toning is an added bonus and rarely found on clad coins. We know that pre 1965 coins can be found with breath taking color but it is not reserved for silver coins only.

Below are some coins I have been lucky to find and thought I would show some pics to let you tell us what you look for and just can't seem to find image The pics below are currently at PCGS for grading. Kind of like christmas past, present and yet to be image

Happy hunting!

Comments

• Options
    Holy cow! Nice coins! Thanks so much for sharing. If you want to sell any of them please please let me know!! Thanks!

As for your question, gosh, that's a good one. I need to think about it more before answering.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

I especially like the '70-D and '72-D quarters and the '72 Ike.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Jamie,
    Thank you. I'm not really sure which ones I will be willing to let go when they return. I'm still working on my 1976 mint set and thinking about a 1971 or 72 set image I wanted to start this post hoping to get some discussions going so please do share your thoughts.

Cladking,
    Your eye and thoughts are very close to mine. My favorites are the 1969-D, 1972-D, both the '76 25c & 50c since they normally come so drab, and of course the '72 type-1 Ike image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the bronze toning that many of the clads take on is very eye appealing. But I am not adverse to the totally bright or white in some of them.
    I sure know that many of them are really hard to get true images of because of the high reflecably of the metal. Trying to get a digital picture that is not black is trying at the best.
  • Options
    Thanks cointime. 71,72 and 76 are great years! Those are three of the years I'm also working on the most!

It's hard to say what to look for, as I guess one should look for everything! I guess if you're looking for a grade like ms67, you really need a nice even warm luster. No luster grazes or dullish look at all. ms67's need to just stand out at first glance and say to you this is a nice coin! I look for marks on cheeks or focal areas. I hate marks on the top of the shield on Kennedy Half Dollars. Many many pcgs ms67s still have such. I would really like a set with all shields mark free. It may be an impossible task. Oh, for quarters too, I dislike scrapes on the eagle's chest. For all the moderns, it's easy to sometimes think you have a fully struck coin, but when you compare it to one that really is fully struck, you realize it is not. There really should be a lot of detail in the hair. These days esp any lack of detail is bringing grades down to like ms65 (this is a blatent change in grading standards). I really like markfree fields, but you can get ms67's sometimes even with a clearly visible mark. Most of the coins that I've got like that I've sold with hopes of finding a better one (a 67rd 74-s cent comes to mind, I sort of regret selling it now though). More later, got to run...
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    So you like Clad quarters image

• Options
    Those are some awesome modern gems.
  • Options
    I too look for strike and appeal, especially within the typically tough years for modern clads (65 - 73, 76, 82, 83, & 86).

Having said that, good strikes and appeal on all coins posted on this thread !!!
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    Syl,

Taking photos of clad coins is very tough. I have tried and just do not have the skills to capture a coin's features they way Phil Arnold at PCGS achieved.

Jamie,

Good point about the luster grazes as in the cheek on the 1971-D. I really like the coin but that and the few contact marks on the edge of the left wing will most likely keep it out of any running for a 68 image As for Kennedy halves the shield is a focal area and if they made a 7 the rest of the coin must be nice and that may have kept it from a 68. JMO image

clackamas,
    Turn that coin off image I was almost blinded when I scrolled down. Super strike and obviously from a mint set. Sweet image Strike is very much a key and most not all early clads from circulation may have the technical grade but lack strike to put it in the next higher grade.

DickyBetz and fantasiize,

Thanks for the kind words and I again want to thank Phil Arnold for taking great photos!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Cladking,
    Your eye and thoughts are very close to mine. My favorites are the 1969-D, 1972-D, both the '76 25c & 50c since they normally come so drab, and of course the '72 type-1 Ike image >>

The '69-D is superb. And this one is great and from a very new die but I have much
    higher standards for the '69-D than almost any other date. In looking for the '69-P
    a lot of great D's have popped up. This coin almost has to be 100% strike and PL to
    get my attention.

The '76-D half is real nice. The '76-D quarter may just be a problem with the picture
    or a mark on the plastic. It's a top notch coin but the marking on the right side of the
    obverse is a little distracting. It's, no doubt, well deserving of the grade and none too
    common in this condition.

There aren't any really easy MS-67's and I can really appreciate even a nice choice
    coin for most dates.
    Tempus fugit.