Home Sports Talk

Big 10 collapse...give me a break!

zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Indiana shot 6 free throws. Gonzaga shot 41.

Illinois shot 11. Washington shot 39.

The Big Ten got screwed in a big way. These two games prove it. I am sickened by the uneven officiating in both of these games.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Below are all the FT's for the Big 10. Typically 6-8 "extra" FT's for the losing team trying to catchup at the end.

Iowa 26 NWST 14
    Illinois 14 Air Force 18
    Indiana 16 SDST 15
    Ohio State 23 Davidson 7 image
    Wisconsin 22 Arizona 23
    Michigan State 5 George Mason 26 image
    Indiana 6 Gonzaga 41 image
    Illinois 11 Washington 39 image

Four stand out to me as bad, with 3/4 going against the Big 10.

The Gonzaga game is one of the biggest discrepancies I can recall, but it's typical zags bullsh!t... seriously who cheers for these guys?

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

The Illinois game killed me. They shot ZERO free throw until the final 1:30 while Washington shot 18! What a mockery of college basketball.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>The Illinois game killed me. They shot ZERO free throw until the final 1:30 while Washington shot 18! What a mockery of college basketball. >>

I have to agree - they got the short end in that game. Too bad, would like to have seen them advance.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Yes it must be that west coast bias in the officials.

Give me a break.

<< <i>Yes it must be that west coast bias in the officials.

Give me a break. >>

I figured a stupid comment was coming from you.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a die hard Illinois fan and it was sad to see them go... foul trouble obviously made a difference, however, they did not play well in the last 4 minutes... and in this tourney, that is when games are won and lostimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    The Big 10 is continually overrated as a conference top to bottom. These early exists were not a suprise.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    yeah, i am sure it was the officiating that caused Indiana to jack up a zillion 3's. Cry me a river for the big 10. They are just showing what everyone already knew, that the conference is overrated and weak. They would have been better off giving out more bids to the Missouri conference.
    Yes everyone knows that Gonzaga only won because of the officiating.

Do you think the reason that Indiana had so few free throw attempts is because all they were doing was shooting 3's? They shot 36 (!) three pointers, over half their shots were from outside 3 land.

• Go Wichita State - represent that Missouri Valley conference!
    The Big Ten is not constantly overrated... Illinois and MSU both were final four teams last year. Going back to 1999, The Big Ten has had several different teams make the final four... Illinois, Ohio State but was taken away with the probation, Indiana, Wisconsin, MSU which is 5... what other conference can say that?

• BIG 10 BASKETBALL = F*ING JOKE!

Live by the 3-pointer, die by the missed 3-pointer. Illinois shot the about the same number of free throws as UW in the first half as they took the ball inside. Second half, all you saw was Brown hoisting enough bricks from beyond the arc that you would have thought there was a Mason's Convention in town. 5-18 shooting, If the guy was 1/2 the player Roy was he would have found a way to get the ball to the rack.

Zef, instead of whining like a little girl, maybe give a little credit to Romar and the Dawgs for making adjustments to stop Augustine. You can then point your finger at Illini coach Weber who let it happen without responding.

BIG 10 BASKETBALL = F*ING JOKE!image

<< <i>The Big Ten is not constantly overrated... Illinois and MSU both were final four teams last year. Going back to 1999, The Big Ten has had several different teams make the final four... Illinois, Ohio State but was taken away with the probation, Indiana, Wisconsin, MSU which is 5... what other conference can say that? >>

Well, going by the arguments I've heard from this forum in regards to college basketball, apparently the only way a team/program can be successful is because of officiating.

Big 10 missed the Sweet 16 for the first time in 10 years. No other confrence can say that.

I don't blame the officials, Illinois did not play well. However, down the stretch it doesn't help when everything is called predominantly against one team. The facts are there, check the box score. 3 times as many fouls were called against Illinois. That is indisputable.

As far as Tap4black, he obvioulsy didn't watch that game let alone any other Illinois game. They hardly lived or died by the 3 pointer. Dee Brown took 3 3's in the first half, and 3 in the second half. He was not hoisting enough bricks from beyond the arc. You obviously didn't see that they were up until about a minute left in the game. There was no reason to be hoisting.

Washington won and that is the most important point. Just look at the fouls and free throws, they are hardly equal. Illinois should have overcome and didn't.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

• << <i>Big 10 missed the Sweet 16 for the first time in 10 years. No other confrence can say that.
    >>

acc?

BTW big ten was overrated this year, next year though OHIO state will be dominate. Greg Oden and all those freshman coming in! THAT team will be solid for 1 year till oden goes pro.
  • The Illini simply were not all that good this year. It will be interesting to see if Weber can recruit anyone with talent from the state of Illinois this year. They already lost the top Chicago players of the past couple of years to NC and Duke, a Peoria player went pro, etc. Weber did not recruit Brown, Williams, Powell, Augustine, etc. He will need to get some top players or they will just be mediocre for a while.
  • JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭

<< <i>Indiana shot 6 free throws. Gonzaga shot 41.

Illinois shot 11. Washington shot 39. >>

I love when people complain that when foul shots favor one team over another there has to be a conspiracy. Since when do foul shots have to be even or its a poorly officated game?

I have to agree with Axtell on this one. If Indiana is shooting that many three's less chance for fouls to be called which translates into fewer freethrows.

Not rocket science here.

<< <i>

<< <i>Indiana shot 6 free throws. Gonzaga shot 41.

Illinois shot 11. Washington shot 39. >>

I love when people complain that when foul shots favor one team over another there has to be a conspiracy. Since when do foul shots have to be even or its a poorly officated game?

I have to agree with Axtell on this one. If Indiana is shooting that many three's less chance for fouls to be called which translates into fewer freethrows.

Not rocket science here. >>

No Conspiracy. Just a poorly officiated game. I am talking about Illinois v Washington. The calls were definitely going the way of Wash in the second half.

I find it funny that when someone says a game was poorly officiated that they are met with so much resistance. I am objective enough that when my team benefits on calls I can acknowledge it.

Illinois was not that good this year and played poorly. That still does not erase the fact that the officials were much tighter when Illinois was on D than when Washington was. It is a part of the game and if the team cannot overcome and adjust their style based on the game conditions they will lose. It still doesn't sit well.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Hey Zef, try looking behind the grassy knoll for that other ref who was making the bad calls and have another drink! image

Maybe this direct quote after the game by Dee Brown sums it all up Said Brown: "We were hacking more. We were undisciplined on defense."

Hmmm.... Hacking, Undisciplined... that would let me believe they were commiting MORE FOULS! Funny thing is, the total fouls called were only 28-17. Know what that means, Washington was more aggressive taking the ball inside and Illinois was LAZY on defense. Maybe if the Illini would have taken the ball inside more instead of settling for jumpshots that were not falling they too could have gone to the line more often.
    It seems that many seem to be a critic of Big Ten Basketball, but the silence is deafening as to what other conference has placed 5 different teams in the final four in the past 7 years...

As for Coach Weber or Coach Izzo... I think both have been coach of the year...

Big Ten Basketball... the record speaks for itself.