Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wisconsin Leaf Error- how to promote Sales 101

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
Simple thread.

My view is that there was a cover-up in the Wisconsin Leaf Error/ varieties
.... a conspiracy within the mint/govt....and here is my theory:
entertaining a thought image

The reports I've read just do not add up. My thinking is that two variety dies were made.
The first die was installed by a die setter, unbeknownst to him that it was a variety. The machine began . After a certain amount of strikings, the guy goes on break, the die setter is directed to change the die, so he does. The operator comes back from lunch, starts the machine up and voila : The rare "high leaf" was born and he never even saw it. (and the high leaf die, ultimately destroyed). It was simple, cut and dried, and can go down in history as a "numismatic oddity", unexplained. (hence, no report)
sneak in, sneak out

Then, the second one was supposed to slip out the same way, but...... the die setter put the die in, the machine operator found the error (extra low leaf) right away and shut down the machine and took his break. He covered his A$$.
Except when he went to lunch, the higher ups that really weren't there to see if quality control was up to snuff, rather under a directive from even higher up to help promote lagging statehood quarter sales, came and turned this guy's machine back on. ( okay there is my theory). The operator's own testament in the investigation states this.

That's as simple as I can figure this whole thing out.

Can someone help me finish this book ?
Opinions ?

Who would turn on a tagged machine with an obvious error ? Which employee has such power in the mint facility to turn on another guys machine during his tenure, especially a tagged one ? Why was the die destroyed on the second error if it was found ?. This just doesn't make sense.

Stuff will never add up to me.
There was no report on the high leaf error and there is no way to disprove the facts. The facts are, we will never know the truth. How does an error/variety, with precision artwork, get out of the mint without a report ?

Did a die gouge heal itself miraculously ? Is it possible to have an error like this occur then fix itself ? I don't think so. Do errors go unreported to the mint director ?

I smell a rat (he's hanging out by the cheese on the Wisconsin quarters).... does anyone have any ideas that could help shed light on the mysteries ?

I swear, sometimes it's easier finding a treasure than it is finding the truth.

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't give them enough credit to successfully organize a cover-up.

I don't think they have any idea what happened with the extra leaf quarters, but they went through the motions of investigating it, got next to no cooperation from the employees, and thought up a theory that could possibly explain it no matter how far-fetched. They investigate what happened with a particular die, months after the fact, and expect people to remember anything? Come on.

Personally, I think employees did it as a lark, but of course were not going to admit to it.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I believe there was indeed a conspiracy....it involved the Cubans, the Mafia and the CIA.....its a mystery wrapped in a riddle, wrapped in an enigma! Sorry, recently watched J.F.K. it was on my mind... image
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I believe someone posted some pictures of the error on the forum which showed clearly a semi-circular object caused the error.
    It showed the movement from the lower to the upper or visa versa.........same shape...
    Who exactly knows for sure?!?!?!?!?.............image

......Larry........image
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Ken's got the answer

He also says this:

<<Please Note: We do NOT buy or sell the Wisconsin Quarters with the so-called Extra Leaf or High & Low Leaf Varieties. In our opinion, these are minor die dents or gouges that are highly inflated in price at this time due to being promoted under misleading nicknames that suggest they are something more significant than they are.>>

I think this may be a shot at Rick. And I disagree with Ken.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Seems they are Defective Dies to Me...............JMO................
    Used inadvertanably...............(spelling)...........................................................image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had the opportunity to meet Ken and speak with him on a variety of topics. I am fortunate to live close enough to him where I see him regularly at local shows.

He is very knowledgeable about varieties and he has taught me a great deal about the minting process.

But I have to disagree with him on this one. They were intentionally done and it is not coincidence. Has anyone discovered a misplaced leaf anywhere else on the Wisconsin quarter or on any other SHQ for that matter? I don't think so.

I happen to believe it is an interesting error - the value of which will be determined by the marketplace.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that there was a small and highly informal conspiracy. Someone in the die shop
    with a box of these new dies on a lark carved these leaves into two adjacent dies. He told at
    least one person. These dies ended up in the same press but were discovered by the opera-
    tor who destroyed the coins and tagged the machine. Someone else who knew about these
    started up the machine.

The investigation may have led to the "designer" but there was no proof and the mint had
    plausible deniability. They probably had no clue who started the press up and no interest in
    firing the principle(s) involved so released the known facts with a possible cause.

It's possible that an individual could have pulled this off alone but I'd guess there would have
    been a firing since records would inplicate the sole suspect.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Would that be similar to a ...........Wardrobe Malfuntion..............image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    I agree with Kranky. In looking at the two errors, it seems impossible to me that these are just inadvertent errors. Two leaves properly placed by accident? It is clear to me that it was mischief by bored Mint employees and the subsequent "investigation" was just a PR attempt to protect the "integrity" of the Mint. IMHO
    Regards
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll chime in to disagree with Ken on this one. These aberrations were so clearly and obviously done on purpose (and there were TWO of them) that I can't imagine how someone as knowledgeable as he would take such a strong unequivocal stand.

I also agree, that the Mint's investigation (as disclosed publically) does not at all account for the the facts, particularly for the fact again there were two. It may be the Mint wanted to cover up how successful the ruse was. But it's hard to believe they internally would not have pursued the matter vigorously.
  • Options
    I took statistics in college, and granted I don't remember a whole lot, I do know that the statistical probability of this type of die gouge happening twice on the same series of coin in places that make them look like leaves and not a die crack, gouge - whatever AND not being caught in a timely manner by quality control so that they can be rounded up and destroyed is astronomically small. If they ARE truly die errors, then there still should be a premium on them just because the likelihood of them occuring like that in the first place is so remotely, absurdly small!!!! JMHO!!
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't give them enough credit to successfully organize a cover-up. >>

oh man if jim didn't hit that right on the head

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>I took statistics in college, and granted I don't remember a whole lot, I do know that the statistical probability of this type of die gouge happening twice on the same series of coin in places that make them look like leaves and not a die crack, gouge - whatever AND not being caught in a timely manner by quality control so that they can be rounded up and destroyed is astronomically small. If they ARE truly die errors, then there still should be a premium on them just because the likelihood of them occuring like that in the first place is so remotely, absurdly small!!!! JMHO!! >>

It's not only the small chance of these being done accidently, it's also the fact that both
    dies had to have been in the same press! If some event occurred to the press that would
    cause this damage then surely there would have been other similar gouges in other places
    of the struck coin found with these. There were not only two of these but only two and
    both even appear to display at least some small artistic talent.

While it's not impossible these happened by pure accident, it does seem highly improbable.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I also disagree with Ken. His premise seems to be that the official engraver would not place these leaves in these locations because they don't fit the design. He completely misses the "Prank" issue.

It is very clear that these are leaves and they were engraved into 2 different working dies. By who, when, and why are mystery's. But the fact is these are intentional alterations.

I have been searching and collecting Moderns for more than 10 years and have searched hundreds of thousands of coins. I have NEVER seen anyhting that looked anything like a leaf, randomly gouged into any coin. You would think if this kind of gouge was so common as to randomly show up growing out of the side of corn, that I would have seen something like it before.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Somebody involved has bags(boxes) of these saved for retirement from the mint, probably someone who knows people in Arizona. Thats my conspiracy theoryimage----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is very clear that these are leaves and they were engraved into 2 different working dies. By who, when, and why are mystery's. But the fact is these are intentional alterations. >>

Yep; all one has to do is look at one of these in hand under a loupe to see that the leaf/husk was intentional. Its too good to be otherwise.
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    You were asking for clues that might help explain the minting of both High and Low Extra Leaf Wisconsin "D" State Quarters. I am a coin dealer and I am located between San Antonio, Tx and Austin, Tx. In late January, 2004 while looking at Ebay Auctions that were offering the Extra Leaf Wisconsin Quarter Varieties, I noticed an auction for the famous "Trio Set" of BU Quarters. The location of the person offering the set was Kerrville, Texas which is about 75 miles from where I am located. With much haste. I located all banks in Kerville, Tx and proceeded to purchase all BWRolls of Wisconsin Quarters in that area. A few extra leaf quarters were found in rolls. Then, we offered a Mint Bag of $25 face of WI "D" Quarters on Ebay in early February, 2005. While that auction was in place, I received a call from a potential Ebay bidder who asked the date on the box of quarters on Ebay. When I told him that the stamped date was Oct, 18, 2004; he said" Well, that is too early" !!!! He proceeded to explain how the Denver Mint had narrowed it down to three possible Mint Employees that could be responsible for creating both Leaf Varieties !! Well by now, the caller had my full attention !! He said that the employee(s) had made all that they wanted of the Extra Low Leaf Quarter and were caught making the Extra High Leaf Quarter. The Mint in fact had the High Leaf Die in their possession !! The man even said over a year ago that all then Extra Leaf Quarters were produced and out of the Denver facility by Thanksgiving, 2004.

After having heard what this person had to say, I have from that day on felt that these Extra Leaf Varieties were the true act of a Denver Mint employee and possibly with the encouragement of the officials so as to spur lagging sales and collector interest in the Statehood Quarter Program. My opinion of the rather outspoken Error Coin Experts in MI and NY is less than flattering !! Had the quarters turned up in their backyard, then I think that their opinions would be much more positive !! Actual, any press that states that the quarters are worthless and not worthy of consideration helps dealers like me to still buy an occassional Extra Leaf Quarter at less than Ebay market price !!

I commend Bob Ford and Rick Snow for introducing these truly rare coins to the coin collectin world and in fact the entire world !! There have been less than 10,000 Extra Leaf Quarters graded by the top three Grading Services in the last 13-14 months !! The market for these rare quarters has now expanded beyound the Ebay Auctions. Last Saturday, a NGC MS 67 Extra Low Leaf State Quarter sold for $4750.

I will be suprised if the total number of both varieties in years to come reach 20,000 !! That is a very low mintage for both scarce coins combined !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>Somebody involved has bags(boxes) of these saved for retirement from the mint, probably someone who knows people in Arizona. Thats my conspiracy theoryimage----------------------BigE >>

It's very difficult to get coins out of the mint and gets moreso all the time. The success
    stories are legendary, though. It would almost certainly be impossible to direct the minted
    coins to a particular location but they could have let them go out randomly while taking home
    anything they could carry.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>After having heard what this person had to say, I have from that day on felt that these Extra Leaf Varieties were the true act of a Denver Mint employee and possibly with the encouragement of the officials so as to spur lagging sales and collector interest in the Statehood Quarter Program. >>

If these weren't all made on the same press at the same time then I'd be inclined to believe
    that there was a lot more going on then a small informal conspiracy. It seems improbable that
    this was in any way official though. The risk is simply too great and the potential reward too
    small.

Welcome to the site.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Must be a good coin, they are all bought up in the dealer side of the game!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    re.....HIGHLOWLEAVES.....Your input is indeed welcome................................image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you would all stop beating yourselves up over this.

It's a DIE GOUGE!

The piece of metal responsible for it dislodged from the first die, landed on the second, ruined it, and disappeared into obscurity.

Someone here previously posted overlays of the two damaged dies and they (the piece of metal involved) matched EXACTLY!

I will say no more........I have no link to the original post......wish I did.

Edited to add.........this should not and it is not my intention to discourage you from seeking this variety.

Don't forget, the 1937-D 3-leg Buffalo Nickel is no more than a abraided and polished die. It caught the fancy of a generation in the 1930's and became popular due to it's placement and hype.

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Cladking, what has happened iin the past will happen again. Cheersimage(Cheerio's in modern talk)
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome HighLowLeaves

Thanks for that assessment. We may never know the truth on these quarters, unless a mint employee writes a book.
    Also, from your story... the possiblity exists that someone has a mint sewn bag full of them from 11/04. I guess I should check the dates on my unopened Wisconsin mint orders, huh ?

I haven't heard of anyone finding them in mint rolls or bags as of yet, though.
    and thank you all for your input on these.... I find the story quite intriquing, and the subsequent mint report, laughable.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I wish you would all stop beating yourselves up over this.

It's a DIE GOUGE!

The piece of metal responsible for it dislodged from the first die, landed on the second, ruined it, and disappeared into obscurity.

Someone here previously posted overlays of the two damaged dies and they (the piece of metal involved) matched EXACTLY!

Edited to add.........this should not and it is not my intention to discourage you from seeking this variety.

Don't forget, the 1937-D 3-leg Buffalo Nickel is no more than a abraided and polished die. It caught the fancy of a generation in the 1930's and became popular due to it's placement and hype.

Pete >>

• Options

<< <i>I wish you would all stop beating yourselves up over this.

It's a DIE GOUGE!

Pete >>

• Options
    No. A piece of metal can't cause a gouge as you state. Long story, don't have the time or inclination to explain it right now.
  • Options
    On the low leaf variety, the extra leaf clearly looks to me like it was put there as it resembles a leaf and not a random die gouge. On the way it sprouts out of the side leaf, it can be seen as a leaf coming from the back side of the stalk. IMHO
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    I am happy that I bought a PCGS MS64 low leaf for $150 when they came out.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    I trust that Chris Pilloid and Rick Snow's seminar at the ANA convention in August, 2007 at Milwaukee, WI where these two very knowledgeable experts will prove to the world (and to any reasonable, open minded person) the real creation of the Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarter Varieties in the die room of the Denver Mint in late 2004 will finally be put to rest the on going riff as to where these scarce and very collectable coins originated. Thank you Chris and Rick !! Mark Smith.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>I am happy that I bought a PCGS MS64 low leaf for $150 when they came out. >>

I bought 2 @ $125.
  • Options

<< <i>No. A piece of metal can't cause a gouge as you state. Long story, don't have the time or inclination to explain it right now. >>

Does it have anything to do with both metals being of equal hardness as would be the case here? image
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

What have the price of these things done during the last decade?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t there an extra leaf dime or something from the same mint and year that looks similar

• Options

@Crypto said:
    Isn’t there an extra leaf dime or something from the same mint and year that looks similar

2004-D 'curved ear ring' dime

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay shows that certified 66's are selling for $150

• Options

@jedm said:
    Ebay shows that certified 66's are selling for $150

This demonstrates quite well that there are fewer serious collectors of states quarters than the mintage (<14,000)!!!

The implications are significant.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 1:25PM

The forum needs to have a symbol of some sort by the title that appears for a say a day or two whenever a thread more than six months dormant gets resurrected.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I don't care what the cause of this great error is as it is great coin to own. I own both varieties and would not dream of selling any at this point.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    I don't care what the cause of this great error is as it is great coin to own. I own both varieties and would not dream of selling any at this point.

Great might be a stretch but naked eye 21st Cen varieties are rare on coins let along important coins like quarters. They have a place in long term collections as the 2nd most important error in the state series after the DC quarter.

• Options

@pitboss said:

By any likely chain of events by which they arose they are "types" and, as such, belong in any states quarter collection.

Eventually all the hoards will be dissipated and there'll be 14,000 serious states quarter collectors (not all can afford nor even desire each type)(some will have multiples).

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

There is still interest in these intentional State Quarter Type Coins. The Ebay prices have drifted down over the last several years. but I do not notice a flood of them entering the marketplace. Most speculators are long gone. A reputable coin dealer told me that the Denver Mint actually destroyed a quantity of WI D state quarters. The PCGS/NGC pops are staying rather constant over the last 10 years.

Specialized Investments
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Is the low interest in these coins due to overall interest in coins going south or the fact that the economy went south over the last few years and will it improve once collectors have more money in their pockets.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

This remains a fascinating phenomenon and story. There have been very few items of interest in pocket change in recent years, unlike all the overdates, double dies and die abrasions of the old days. The face and style of coin collecting have changed over time, IMO at least in part on that account.

• Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    The forum needs to have a symbol of some sort by the title that appears for a say a day or two whenever a thread more than six months dormant gets resurrected.

Agree with this for sure.
    Change the entire title color to Red or Green....something different.

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:

Wouldn't be needed if they had a usable search function

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file