1991 Upper Deck Baseball
1999 Bowman Baseball
1999 Bowman Chrome Baseball
2005 Topps Baseball
2005 Topps Football

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I was looking through some of your past auction wins and noticed that you've been picking up common 10's from those ultra-modern sets for an absolute song ($3-$5). If those prices stay there I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more people jumping on the graded modern set bandwagon.
  • Options
    You were spying on me!?! image Kidding. Yeah, I really hope modern sets pick up. I just can't afford anything from 1987 back.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was a pretty darn good deal:

12 1989 Score FB PSA 10's

$4.50 per card (including shipping) for a fairly popular set. I almost bid on them, but all I need right now is to start another set.

Good luck with your sets Geoff!

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    It is hard to find modern stuff on Ebay, I have been keeping an eye on 89 Upper Deck baseball and beside the hoard of Griffies, Johsons and Sheffields, there are not to many other cards from that set at one time for auction. Would like to start obtain some 9s and 10s from that set just to have for my collection, not sure if I would like to takle the whole set?

Stingray
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    If you want to put together a graded modern set, you have to play the grading game by buying raw and submitting them yourself...........only the star cards are readily available from any given set.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    absolute song ($3-$5). If those prices stay there I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more people jumping on the graded modern set bandwagon.

That's the problem though. Those prices are great to buy at, but dealers/sellers lose money at that price point. If a dealer can't make money on a modern PSA 10, they just stop submitting those type of cards. Lostdart is right. For the modern set builder, you have to submit the minor stars and commons yourself if you are going to complete a set.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Whatever happens, it is gonna be a fun journey. Hey I'm finally #1 in a company card set - 1991 Upper Deck Baseball! Woo hoo!
  • Options

<< <i>absolute song ($3-$5). If those prices stay there I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more people jumping on the graded modern set bandwagon.

That's the problem though. Those prices are great to buy at, but dealers/sellers lose money at that price point. If a dealer can't make money on a modern PSA 10, they just stop submitting those type of cards. Lostdart is right. For the modern set builder, you have to submit the minor stars and commons yourself if you are going to complete a set. >>

Very true. One thing I wonder about is just what kind of % a guy could hit for PSA 10's on ultra modern issues if he knew what to look for. Someone like Bryan, for instance. If you put a big box of some random year of Bowman Chrome in front of him and told him to only pick out the 10's, how many would come back gem mint? I have no idea what the answer is, but if you could get it up to 70%, submit in huge bulk lots at $2.50-$3 a slab, and sell the cards for $5-$6 each (plus shipping) I would think you could at least make gas money.
  • Options
    Boopotts- The lowest rumored price I heard the PSA gives it's large submittors is $4 per card on 2500 cards per month. Remember that's only a rumor. So $2.50-$3 isn't happening. I submit mostly modern and I have been getting KILLED lately on my submissions. I used to average about 50-60% getting 10's on my submissions. Lately I haven't been able to crack 10%. It hasn't helped that the lousy grades have the 314 cert #.
    Which brings us to the heart of this thread. If dealers can only get $3- $4 on a PSA 10. They will stop submitting that material. Come to think of it, if I keep getting 8's on cards that should be 9's or 10's, I'll have some second thoughts about submitting too.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Fabfrank,

I have a belief that if you look at the PSA lables where the font is a little more away from the borders like this example (not sure what the back looks like):

And compared to this flip (which I believe is the newest one):

I believe that there were quite of few 10s, especially for modern cards given a while back with the flip style like the Griffey Jr. I do not know if this is really true, but my observations are there are a lot of borderline 10s (IMO) that are in the flips like the Griffey and then they tightened up the grading since then.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stingray- That's good info. I've always felt that the PSA 10 was an arbitrary grade. It just seems right now that PSA is going through one of it's "tighten the grading" periods. I don't play the resubmit game with modern. I guess I'll either wait or rethink grading modern cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Boopotts- The lowest rumored price I heard the PSA gives it's large submittors is $4 per card on 2500 cards per month. Remember that's only a rumor. So $2.50-$3 isn't happening. I submit mostly modern and I have been getting KILLED lately on my submissions. I used to average about 50-60% getting 10's on my submissions. Lately I haven't been able to crack 10%. It hasn't helped that the lousy grades have the 314 cert #.
    Which brings us to the heart of this thread. If dealers can only get $3- $4 on a PSA 10. They will stop submitting that material. Come to think of it, if I keep getting 8's on cards that should be 9's or 10's, I'll have some second thoughts about submitting too. >>

Didn't Jim say he got his cards slabbed for $2.50 a piece when he submitted all 1700 of them?
  • Options

<< <i>Boopotts- The lowest rumored price I heard the PSA gives it's large submittors is $4 per card on 2500 cards per month. Remember that's only a rumor. So $2.50-$3 isn't happening. I submit mostly modern and I have been getting KILLED lately on my submissions. I used to average about 50-60% getting 10's on my submissions. Lately I haven't been able to crack 10%. It hasn't helped that the lousy grades have the 314 cert #.
    Which brings us to the heart of this thread. If dealers can only get $3- $4 on a PSA 10. They will stop submitting that material. Come to think of it, if I keep getting 8's on cards that should be 9's or 10's, I'll have some second thoughts about submitting too. >>

Also Frank, if you don't mind me asking, when you say modern do you mean 'ultra modern' (post 2000) or 80's cards?
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Didn't Jim say he got his cards slabbed for $2.50 a piece when he submitted all 1700 of them? >>

Jim was being sarcastic about the $2.50. I don't think he ever said what he actually paid.
    Travis
  • Options
    Yes Jim was being sarcastic.
    My last 10 submissions all ranged from 93-2005. The only 80's cards I submitted were 85 Topps football. One submission of 85 Topps came from wax and was solid. The second submission came from rack product and the cards were WAY better than the earlier so I was expecting all 9's and some 10's. Got mostly 8'simage
    The 93-2005 cards were all SP Authentic football. Each year has specific issues, but especially the issues from 2000 up, the results should be 10 every time. I don't mind an occasional 9, but when I see 8's I see redimage
  • Options
    This has nothing to do with cards but I hate cream cheese.