Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

question about PCGS WTC Ground Zero slabs

I have seen some PCGS WTC Ground Zero slabs for the same coin with the different numbers :
1 of 531 , 1 of 190 or 1 of 1000. Some slabs does not have any numbers.
Does somebody know the history about this numbers.

Thank you.
Mik_Flo

Comments

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Just marketing hype. The original "death slabs" were not put out by PCGS at all but by their parent company Collectors Universe using PCGS shells. These were not numerically graded.

Then PCGS got into the act and started slabbing them under their own name and with grades. At first the only coins slabbed were 2001 eagles. Then as the market grew, all kinds of other material started showing up as well. Then the numbered issues began. The "of so many" numbers seem to have no specific meaning, probably just how many pieces happened to be in that box. But you will note that you never see a "2 of", "3 of", etc. Every coin is "1 of" this plays into the "collectors mindset" that lower numbers in a limited series are better. Who wants serial number 2342, if they can get #1. Well with the WTC Limited edition slabs, everyone gets to have #1. And if hey run out, just have another group slabbed and create a whole bunch more #1's.
  • Options
    I think the number series in the WTC coins has to do with individuals that owned coins that where in the vault. Lets say mr. smith had a box with 190 coins in it then his coins would all be marked 1 of 190. I have seen many different coins in a series not all the same coins.

just me 2 cents

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file