Home Stamps Forum
Options

Aunty Ann's stamp collection

DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
I'm a coin guy, so this is an area I know nothing about.

I just got back from visiting her safe deposit box. It contained what appeared to me to be a more or less complete set of US plate blocks dating from approximately 1920 - 1960. Condition is mint (near as I could tell), they are unhinged. I didn't touch them, so I don't know about the gums. But the story I got was that they were all purchased direct from the PO at time of issue.

As I mentioned, I'm a coin guy, so the only one I really recognized was the upside down airplane, which unfortunately is only upside down if you're standing on your head. (this specimen looked like a mint plate block, just like the rest). How do I go about valuing these? Can someone offer some advice?

Thank you!

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comments

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Welcome to the stamp forum.

Obtaining a set of the Scott US Specialized Catalog is your best bet. Some librarires carry them or you can purchase an older one off the internet for pretty cheap. Here's a link to a 2002 version currently at $3. I doubt it will go over $5. 2002 Scott US Specialized Cat

You can also go to a stamp dealer and ask for a rough estimate of cat value and his buy price (hopefully you know a trustworthy dealer). If you want an appraisal, there will most likely be a charge. Since you mentioned the airplane, C3, a block of 4 can go for $100+. A true block of this stamp will actually be 6 stamps as well as some others in the earlier years.

As in coins, if there are faults, value diminishes rapidly; things like missing gum, tears, pulled perfs. Other things such as disturbed gum, off-centering, no gum, separated perfs in the block, creases, and so on also affect value. Scott catalog values are for stamps in Very Fine condition for this time period.

Mostly everything from 1940-1960 will be face value and the dealer would probably offer less than face.

Doug