Options

What is 8MC?

Is MC stand for miscut?
Haven't seen this before.

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Yes, MC = miscut
    Its a tad worse then OC (off center) as a border is missing on the front or the back...jay
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Just received grades today.
    1970 Topps OJ Simpson rookie was 8MC.
  • Options
    Here is a 8MC 1933 Goudey George Pipgras card, and deservingly so. There is almost no bottom border.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That 33 Goudey looks almost like a trim job. The three borders seem to be fairly even in size. Looks like someone just cut the bottom one off. IMO

Stingray
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    someone posted that one of the borders is gone??

I have some Bob Gibsons and 2 1959 Aaron's that were returned as MC's and they have borders all the way around.....but when I put them up back to back with another card they were shaped a tad different.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>someone posted that one of the borders is gone??

I have some Bob Gibsons and 2 1959 Aaron's that were returned as MC's and they have borders all the way around.....but when I put them up back to back with another card they were shaped a tad different. >>

Different kind of miscut.

Miscut #1 is when a card is otherwise a normal rectangle, but has been cut extremely OC so that a portion of the text or photo are cut off. These cards are graded by PSA with the qualifier MC.

Miscut #2 is when a card is not a rectangle. The card usually has corners that are not right angles, or may have a bulge or other excess card stock that prevents the edges from being perfectly straight. PSA does not grade these cards.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    8MC on an OJ Simpson rookie is equivalent to a shadow of death having been cast over the card. OJ Simpson isn't exactly in the greatest standing with the hobby today to begin with, and if you went to sell it, you would be doing well to get $20 for it. Depending on how it looks, and especially if the miscut is on the back, and you're planning on selling that card, you'll probably be better off cracking it out of that holder first.

Grading works two ways... for high quality cards, it can increase the value, while cards that are flawed in certain areas can have their value decreased in a holder.

• Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Here it is:

Link
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW. That card is exactly why they have a MC qualifier. Here's one that just qualifies IMO.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.