Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any icon update experts out there? CAROL TOLD ME TO ASK YOU GUYS

Icon upload day is approaching, and I've gotten pretty tired of mine and would like to change it. Last month I tried several times all day long with no success.

On the Profile update screen I clicked on "Browse", found the (correctly sized) picture on my hard drive that I wanted to upload, and hit "Upload". Instead of uploading "C:Documents and SettingsRoyMy DocumentsMy PicturescoinsDisplayDiebreak1.jpg", which is what was in the box, it gave me this message:

<< <i>There was an error reading your Author Icon. The Error was: Could not determine the format of the file d:forums.collectors.com/i/authorsicons/ACF1ED1.jpg CF_IMAGEINFO: Format Not Recognized >>

I tried a couple of different .jpg files, and even one .gif file. All my efforts got the same strange message. Any thoughts?

I asked about this on the Q&A Forumwhere CarolJ basically said "Wrong kind of question for this forum."image
Roy

Comments

• Options
    TTT
    Roy

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Can you post the picture here?
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the size limit?
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Size limit is 10K but I am not sure of the process.
  • Options
    Here it is - image

I've tried uploading icons that were too large, and the rejection message I got was entirely different.

This one is 9,500 bytes and the dimension are 95 x 71, which were less than the maximum 10K and 100 x 100 when I studied arithmetic, decades before "New Math" came along. image
    Roy

• Options
    That one should work fine. Just upload in your profile when Carol turns on Icon upload today.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Make sure the name of the Photo is original. Someone else may have diebreak1. This is why the alphabet soup is in the error msg as your photo name.

I also guestion the photo being on your "C" drive and the error msg refers to your "D" drive. Check typing or routingimage
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just uploaded one and it worked fine.
    (Friday April 14 9:50am PST)
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    <--- New Icon image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine new one too...tomorrow is my third anniversary here, so I felt the need for a new outfit image.

(I just can't give up the old one all the way yet!)

• Options
    <--- New Icon image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    My new one!
  • Options
    Tried again -

<< <i>There was an error reading your Author Icon. The Error was: Could not determine the format of the file d:forums.collectors.com/i/authorsicons/ACF15A3.jpg CF_IMAGEINFO: Format Not Recognized >>

Why isn't ".jpg" format being recognized?
    Roy

• Options
    <---------------My new one too.
  • Options
    I give up!

From now on, everyone please pretend that my icon has changed to image.

I've tried acessing the forum with the latest versions of both IE and Firefox; I've changed the picture's name, and moved it to the root directory of my C drive so it is now just "C
    oysicon.jpg", with no possibility that it duplicates something already in CU's system. The only difference in the error messages I get is the "ACF???.jpg" designation.

imageimageimageimageimage
    Roy

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is odd. Mine is a jpg too, all I did was email it to myself at work, put it on my desktop and uploaded from there. I have no idea why yours isn't uploading. But my computer expertise is sadly lacking. I like your new icon though.

Cathy

• Options
    Whoever did whatever you did imageimageimageimageimage
    Roy

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Roy,

Your new icon is listed as about a dozen different names on the master list image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Hope I'm not to late to have my icon changed. Is it to late?
    If not, I would like a new Icon (Avtar)